The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 10:23:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129554
  • Total Topics: 7151
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: The Road  (Read 1264 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
The Road
« on: June 23, 2010, 11:08:18 AM »

So last night I watched The Road (really... that's a link to the full movie. It uses some kind of jewplayer or something... it says it in the bottom left corner when it loads up) and don't really know what to make out of the movie yet, and it's been nearly 14 hours.

It kind of felt like I was watching Postman, or even Water World all over again, or maybe even 2012 - I don't know. As usual, it's a movie that takes place after the world has come to an end - civilization as we know it has been shattered, and there are few humans left on the face of the earth.

I guess I'm just getting sick of all of these "end of the world" movies that keep on coming out of Hollywood as we near 2012. It's no different from me saying the world is going to end in 2099 since my Windows 7 calender only goes that far.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Re: The Road
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 11:15:37 AM »

I haven't watched the movie yet, but I have read the novel upon which it was based, and I'm with you... it's been a couple of months now since I read the book, and I'm still not completely sure what I think of it.  It's well-written, and very dark, depressing, and frightening.  It's hard to like the "whole package" because of how sad one is when one is finished with it.

But I couldn't look away, couldn't stop reading it.

I guess that's what makes it art.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
Re: The Road
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 09:50:04 PM »

I just saw The Book of Eli, which is along the same lines... Post-apocalypse, only a few people still alive, every female is fair game, etc.

As usual Denzel did a pretty good job playing the role of Eli. I think this film was a little better than The Road simply because there was more meat to it - They explained what was going on in the movie, and why it was going on, whereas in The Road, the focus was ONLY on the man and the boy. Though, I'll admit the plot of Eli was pretty easily guessed if you know anything about organized religion.