The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 10:54:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 179
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: BBC Horizon: Is Everything We Know About the Universe Wrong?  (Read 1210 times)

12AX7

BBC Horizon: Is Everything We Know About the Universe Wrong?
« on: October 11, 2010, 05:23:49 PM »

BBC Horizon: Is Everything We Know About the Universe Wrong?

(Last broadcast on Wed, 17 Mar 2010, 01:45 on BBC One)

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
Re: BBC Horizon: Is Everything We Know About the Universe Wrong?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 12:10:27 PM »

I guess I didn't realize to what extent we made shit up so the universe fits into our "standard models". Nice vid!

"But Bauer is facing a problem. His dark matter detector is made of normal matter. The kind of normal matter that dark matter passes right through."

I don't know why, but this cracks me up.  :lol:

There's one thing I don't quite get about dark matter (imagine that). They created it to solve for the fact that galaxy rotations didn't work the same way our solar system rotations did (farther out planets move slower around the sun in our solar system but for galaxies they move at the same speed). But then they say that millions of dark matter particles pass through us all the time. Wouldn't we, then, along with our solar system emit the same behavior as these galaxies?

. . .  :?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 12:12:12 PM by Novice »
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Banshee

• Geek
  • Coolio Points: +106/-3
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 12:21:19 PM »

I guess I didn't realize to what extent we made shit up so the universe fits into our "standard models". Nice vid!

"But Bauer is facing a problem. His dark matter detector is made of normal matter. The kind of normal matter that dark matter passes right through."

I don't know why, but this cracks me up.  :lol:

There's one thing I don't quite get about dark matter (imagine that). They created it to solve for the fact that galaxy rotations didn't work the same way our solar system rotations did (farther out planets move slower around the sun in our solar system but for galaxies they move at the same speed). But then they say that millions of dark matter particles pass through us all the time. Wouldn't we, then, along with our solar system emit the same behavior as these galaxies?

. . .  :?

Perhaps on a (comparatively) microscopically small scale model. For instance, quantum vibrations. There's just too many unknowns at our current level of knowledge, particularly in quantum mechanics.
"Dear pete, lol. U r dum." - Bobert

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 12:22:31 PM »

Tell me about it. I feel like I'd need to change my major just to keep up with all the new shit they come up with every day.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?