The Geek Forum

• May 21, 2024, 05:43:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129657
  • Total Topics: 7202
  • Online Today: 154
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Help!  (Read 2618 times)

SeK612

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +1/-8
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dreamwater.net/cult/
Help!
« on: May 02, 2003, 01:57:30 PM »

I still don't have my computer working (its been dead for months). I've sent it to several technitions (most of which work at a university and should know what they're doing...) and all have failed to sort it out. At the moment it seems to enjoy destroying every proccessor place inside it (4 proccessors in a row so far and most have only lasted for a few seconds).

Personally I think it could be the motherboard thats doing this - even though its been sent back to the seller once and returned with a clean bill of health (its probably been damaged since then with all the proccessor dying in it). The motherboard looks fine and most of the proccessors have not shown any sign of burning (except for the last). The proccessors place in the Abit Kx7-333R motherboard are XP 2100+ (although a 2000+ was place - which packed in in an instant).

I have e:mailed the supplier explaining the problem and hope they can suggest something and am still looking around online for suggestions for the source of the problem.

SeK 612

Funnies: 123

Anonymous

Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 02:19:05 PM »

Well I looked at the specs of the board and it should handle those CPUs no problem. Now, when you returned the board, are you sure they sent a new one? I've sent stuff in the past and ended up receiving the same piece of shit. Now, I hold on to the part till I see the new part, the I trade.

If you take a look at your mother board manual in the jumper section, can you verify that it is set to auto-detect the CPU? That should be the default factory settings but you never know. If it is somehow manually set to run the CPU at ridiculous speeds, that could fry it quick. But I'm not sure just how quickly. You may even want to try to manually set the CPU speed using the jumpers if you want. If you head in that direction, make sure you do not exceed the CPU speed and end up in an overclocking situation. I'm not saying that's necessarly bad, but you don't want to add more variables when trouble shooting stuff.

Do you have proper fan/heatsink installed on the CPU?

Also, is the power supply adequate? Did you just dump a bunch of new hardware in an old system? You could have problems if there isn't enough juice to power all the components, but I doubt this would actually cause your CPUs to fry.

I tend to think the MB is the problem, but it could be other stuff. If you have acess to another PC that can support those processors, try in in them first. That will at least confirm that the CPU is not the problem.

SeK612

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Help!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 03:15:12 PM »

Now, when you returned the board, are you sure they sent a new one?

Mabye I explained it wrong :)

They sent the original board back saying that there was nothing wrong with it (they tested it with another system and said it ran fine for 24 hours with no hangs or crashes - I sent a note along with it saying that the problems began when the PC began to crash randomly).

Do you have proper fan/heatsink installed on the CPU?

The heat sink is an Asaka and hasn't really been too problematic. The first proccessor was one where I might of messed it up myself. It had a few chips in the die (CPU core) which I think was caused by resitting the fan after checking the serial number on the proccessor. For that proccessor I didn't place any thermal paste and it ran fine without overheating for 6 months or so (which might have caused some of the problems I'm experiencing now I guess...)

Did you just dump a bunch of new hardware in an old system? You could have problems if there isn't enough juice to power all the components

Case was new (I made a whole PC so I could keep my old one as a backup - which is coming in handy now  :roll:). It says 300w inside the case if that helps...

I tend to think the MB is the problem, but it could be other stuff. If you have acess to another PC that can support those processors, try in in them first. That will at least confirm that the CPU is not the problem.

I don't have another system that I can test on. This (old) PC doesn't take the new memory (it doesn't fit), there is a limit on the HD size (8 gigish) meaning I can't test my new HD, The proccessor is a pentium 2 so I can't tranfer anything across. The only thing I can test is the graphics card (which I am trying to do at the moment). I would try and get someone else to test it but since it seems to be destroying everything in sight at the moment I don't think its a good idea :(

If it is somehow manually set to run the CPU at ridiculous speeds, that could fry it quick

Yea I'll look into that - I wouldn't mess with it but just to see whether the settings have been changed.

Anonymous

Help!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 07:17:05 PM »

depending on how much components you have in there, you may want to upgrade the power supply. 300w is not much

SeK612

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Help!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2003, 05:15:03 AM »

depending on how much components you have in there, you may want to upgrade the power supply. 300w is not much

I have a pretty standard set up (memory, graphics card, sound card, DVD Drive, CD-RW Drive) and wasn't really aware that lack of power was a problem (if anything I thought too much was coming through - due to the dead proccessors).

Anonymous

Help!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2003, 07:11:17 AM »

It's not realy related. Basicly a 450 watt power supply will have more spare plugs than a 250 Watt PS. So you can plug more stuff. But the power comming out of each plug is regurlated so it doesn't mean more watts = more chances of frying stuff. If you ever do upgrade your computer and add more components like a zip drive and other components that take their power from the PS, it wouldn't be a bad idead to upgrade it. It's not critical at the moment.

So what was the story with those jumpers?

SeK612

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Help!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2003, 04:19:47 PM »

Didn't check the jumpers - sent an e:mail to supplier instead and waiting to see what they say.