The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 12:34:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 158
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Biz?  (Read 1949 times)

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
Biz?
« on: August 19, 2008, 04:35:24 PM »

http://www.wjno.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=244038&article=4117332

I assume you would just ride that thing like Pecos Bill (or Major Kong if you prefer), but just thought I'd do my due diligence.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

12AX7

Re: Biz?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 05:38:31 PM »

I know a TS named Fay.

That looked like fun until the impact.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 05:41:41 PM »

Short version:  Those idiots were stupid for going out in such conditions.  When I saw him running with the kite, I knew what was going to happen.

Long version:
Winds were estimated to gust to 40 to 50 kts.. This is a common occurrence in sudden gusts with the actually velocity being substantially higher. At around 5 pm, the wind lulled to less than 10 kts. and explosively gusted to perhaps 50 kts.. Such wind patterns are common in tropical system and cold front squalls in this area.

Four guys were running to secure the two kites. One of the kiters sat down extended his legs against the pull and forced his kite into the ground. He was flying a 2009 9 m C kite and was dragged about 30 ft. through the sand. At one point the kite was folded in half by the combined wind force and pressure applied by the kiter to hold the kite in place. Hobie Cat sailboats were immediately downwind of his kite and likely to catch the kite if the dragging continued to that point. His kite was grabbed and secured. You can see this kite behind or to the south in the news video.

The other kiter was standing about 20 ft. further north and just south and east of the SE corner of the wooden deck where the news cameraman was located. The kiter to the south kept yelling to the kiteboarder "keep your kite down" over and over again. Despite this sound advice, the northern kiter may have panicked as he suddenly brought his kite up from the horizontal initiating a lofting* in the strong winds. Guys were likely seconds from grabbing his kite but it flew up and away from them. He was lofted a distance of about 100 ft. north in the southeasterly gust. He struck and was dragged through the sand and then lofted again as shown in the video. One observer said the speed of flight exceeded that which he has seen in high wind kiteloops. The kiterboarder flew roughly 275 ft. horizontally and about 20 to 25 ft. high over parked cars falling into A1A. This intermediate landing did not show up in the news video clip. He was lofted a third time about 40 ft. into an alley between a restaurant and mid rise condominium building. Held was seen to hold on to his bar throughout the accident with both hands and made no attempt to Emergency Depower the kite. He struck the pavement and perhaps the south building wall of the condo.

Another kiter saw what happened and sprinted across the street in driving rain, poor visibility indicated in the video to aid the kiteboarder. The lofted kiter was lost to view so the responding man ran through the restaurant and around the building furiously trying to locate the lofted kiter. He found the man lying in the alley in seconds. The responding kiter immediately disconnected the man's quick release disconnecting his kite. The man was flying a 9 m flat kite. There was a tremendous quantity of blood around the man. He was unconscious but quivering. The man had two ragged holes in his knees, a bad laceration to his forehead, broken ribs and perhaps other undesignated injuries. He started to moan and come around but was delusional and started to say over and over again, "Let me go home, I don't want to kite anymore." He tried to get up with substantial strength while several first responders held him motionless in place. Emergency services were on the scene in force in an amazingly short period of time. The man is in his mid 20's, about 160 lbs. and has about 4 to 5 years kiteboarding experience. He is currently in the Intensive Care Unit of the hospital and from what information is available is predicted to recover.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

12AX7

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 05:59:28 PM »

Oww.
Like I said... up until the impact part...

Wonder if he was just scared 'stiff' - since he held on, but didn't release the kite; or if he thought he might be able to regain control; then the next gust got him.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 06:05:26 PM »

I don't know.  I've landed a kite in scary conditions before.  Nothing like what they were in, but scary just the same.  The entire time I was walking on the beach, my hand was on the emergency release.  The injured guy's main problem was keeping his kite high in the air.  Oh, and not releasening to safety.  I hope he recovers.  I hope he learns from it.

I have to admit, though, letting go of a $1,400 piece of equipment takes some mental toughness and most people want to think they're good enough to recover from whatever may be going wrong.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 08:26:18 PM »