The Geek Forum

• April 29, 2024, 01:26:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129568
  • Total Topics: 7158
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ME!  (Read 7150 times)

actual-computer-geek

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-3
    • View Profile
ME!
« on: August 15, 2011, 07:10:12 PM »

Hi All...!

I was wondering, is this a site where REAL geeks(like myself) post or is this a youall site. I see plenty of youall sites, and I hate how people try to copy us. They generally don't even know how we think, or how sensitive we are. Excuse me for typing inclusive of you all...!

So, I just turned 15(sings happy birthday to myself) and am still learning as much about hardware, software, programming, and obtaining an extensive knowledge on those subjects as I can. I have helped many people with their computerr problems, and even fixed a computerr for my math teacher in college(yes, I am 15 in college, and will have a degree when I finish High School). I don't really have a ladyfriend, although kinda want one. I have glasses, braces, am 6' 1" and play guitar, acoustic and electric. I am looking to build my own gaming computerr and have learned many things since starting on this endeavor. It has taught me plenty about hardware and system compatibility.

I am also teaching myself Perl, which has been a trip since I have not taken a programming class. I dress nicely, Pajamas are shorts/t-shirt and day clothes are a dress shirt and pants(shorts if it is hot). I don't have many devices like youall have, but I RTFM(I don't ever curse, I just use this expression), and adapt to the few I carry around with me. I never really was the geeky type, until I was thirteen. When my body hit puberty and matured, my mind matured and is now thinking as the person who I really am. I am not like other kids. I do not 'hang' with teens my age( I do have a geekfriend, though), I prefer to have intellectual conversations with adults. AMD is NOT the antichrist, but I prefer Intel.

I still have a long way to go with my desires, so any tips, info, along with advanced knowledge from the form about hardware, software, and programming would be greatly accepted.....! Any is appreciated, no matter how technical. I am a fast learner.

Thanks for your time, I type alot!

-Daniel
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:25:39 AM by actual-computer-geek »

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
Re: ME!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 09:17:04 PM »

Uh... ok.
What is the traveling speed of an unladen African swallow?
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 10:21:25 PM »

Wow.  A busy one! 

Welcome!   8-)

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 11:15:32 PM »

Do you foresee yourself having username remorse? Because I do (forsee you having username remorse, that is). Anyway, welcome! Fifteen and in college? God, I feel more and more worthless every day.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

actual-computer-geek

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 08:11:57 AM »

A little over 20mph.....? Google is my friend!!

Gul Vic

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +12/-1
  • green
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 09:03:54 AM »

I resent you already.  You're pretentious but I'll be taking notes from your posts.
Also, the way you condescend "n00bs" makes you come off too haughty to be calling yourself "sensitive". 
Would you like to differentiate between the n00bs you feel superior to and the ones you regard as equals?  Or are you more sensitive to some things than others and people don't hit your radar?

Welcome from Vic

"...if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." --Albert Einstein

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 10:19:20 AM »

Google discredits you. Yet, you are still young. You may still learn, grasshopper.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike

Skananabittles

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +419/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 11:59:35 AM »

Bool Story Cro

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 12:17:23 PM »

Apparently, I'm a n00b.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

Skananabittles

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 12:22:17 PM »

Apparently, I'm a n00b.

Because of all your "nosehair clippers?" ;)

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 12:57:31 PM »

Because of all your "nosehair clippers?" ;)

Sadly, I have but a few, and nothing astonishingly state-of-the-art. So I guess I'm a n00b-n00b.

And, since I actually have no intention of graduating from n00b-n00b to full-blown n00b, I guess I'm a n00b-n00b-n00b.

Which is also one of the sounds I use to call my cat.

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 02:11:30 PM »

You haven't even built a PC and you're calling other people "n00bs"? Damn son I built Skynet when I was 7

Skananabittles

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 02:28:15 PM »

Awh, don't be mean to the little one it'll hurt his feelings. He hasn't even gotten a girlfriend yet!

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 02:32:56 PM »

I built a girlfriend when I was 12!

She was made out of Construx and sadness

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »

I built a girlfriend when I was 12!

If you were 12, then who is 12 now?

Skananabittles

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 02:58:41 PM »

I am 12... and what is this?

Also sad to say I still haven't gotten a girlfriend to this day.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »

I must be a n00b n00b, then

actual-computer-geek

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 04:00:59 PM »

LOL..! It is true.... I have not built a computerr yet, but I know how. I am at the stage where saving up for more expensive things becomes hard, because of many other thinks i would like. Hurt my feelings? I am sensitive, yet even in my sensitivity it is quite hard to dampen my spirits.

No, I do not have a ladyfriend yet.

when I degrade 'youall's, I mean people who think and act like they are geeks, but really they are not. (or it just might be that I am the only one who thinks like I do...)

Me? Pretentious? Never gotten that before.... Pretentious is a mix of pride and, well, pride. I said that you cannot dampen my spirits, is that because they are prideful? Absolutely not! It is because I really don't care what people say about me, i know who i am and that's really all that matters......

Do you see this? I am not upset, heehee!

Having 'devices' does not make you a failure... Using them pretending you are a geek, zing! that's it....

It is because I condescend those types, that makes me sensitive.... I don't like very smart persons because they aren't geeks... does that mean that I ONLY like geeks? Absolutely not! I don't like them because they, well, it is hard to explain..... thanks for the welcome, Vic! I do differentiate them from geeks, and generally avoid the others unless one starts a conversation.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:31:14 AM by actual-computer-geek »

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 04:01:43 PM »

I am 12... and what is this?

Also sad to say I still haven't gotten a girlfriend to this day.

Well, judging by the picture of the guy with the cat, you're just going for the wrong type.

Protip: the girls are the ones without the beards.

Skananabittles

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 04:25:33 PM »

Female dwarves have beards, that's why it's so hard to tell them apart from the males.

Sauce: Tolkien

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 05:48:18 PM »

If you're trying to differentiate between male and female Middle-Earth Dwarves as potential dates, you may already be at the why-bother stage.

Skananabittles

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 06:07:07 PM »

So then I should just give up on dating?

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 06:24:22 PM »

Yes, give up on dating bearded women, especially bearded women who chew sunflower seeds.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 10:06:29 PM »

LOL..! It is true.... I have not built a pc yet, but I know how. I am at the stage where saving up for more expensive things becomes hard, because of many other thinks i would like. Hurt my feelings? I am sensitive, yet even in my sensitivity it is quite hard to dampen my spirits.

No, I do not have a girlfriend.

when I degrade 'n00b's, I mean people who think and act like they are geeks, but really they are not. (or it just might be that I am the only one who thinks like I do...)

Me? Pretentious? Never gotten that before.... Pretentious is a mix of pride and, well, pride. I said that you cannot dampen my spirits, is that because they are prideful? Absolutely not! It is because I really don't care what people say about me, i know who i am and that's really all that matters......

Having 'nosehair clippers' does not make you a n00b... Using them pretending you are a geek, zing! that's it....

It is because I condescend n00bs that makes me sensitive.... I don't like n00bs because they aren't geeks... does that mean that I ONLY like geeks? Absolutely not! I don't like n00bs because they, well, it is hard to explain..... thanks for the welcome, Vic! I do differentiate n00bs from geeks, and generally avoid the n00bs unless one starts a conversation.
[A whole bunch of bitchy shit I won't say because the n00b forums are supposed to be a safe zone. Bring your ellipses out into the open, little boy, I dare you.]
I think you just accidentally your whole post.

SassyPants

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +16/-1
  • What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 09:22:07 AM »

Having 'nosehair clippers' does not make you a n00b... Using them pretending you are a geek, zing! that's it....

It is because I condescend n00bs that makes me sensitive.... I don't like n00bs because they aren't geeks... does that mean that I ONLY like geeks? Absolutely not! I don't like n00bs because they, well, it is hard to explain..... thanks for the welcome, Vic! I do differentiate n00bs from geeks, and generally avoid the n00bs unless one starts a conversation.

I'm confused. So what qualifies one as a geek? B/c the way I see it, there are more than just computer geeks. I'm getting the vibe that that is the only type you recognize.

You're surprised anyone would accuse you of being pretentious, yet it sounds like you're no stranger to hasty assumptions, given that your introduction implies you think yourself superior to everyone else your own age. Maybe that's just me. You claim you don't get along w/other teens (except for one other worthy geek), yet you claim that it's not b/c they're not geeks? What is it then? I can't imagine that "people pretending to be geeks when they aren't" is that much of a problem when you're in intermediate high school. Just how many of these geek posers have you come into contact with? Taking into account, of course, that having a lot of nosehair clippers & knowing how to use them doesn't mean a person thinks themself a geek. And so what if they do? The term has gotten pretty loose over the years. Can't a "nOOb" just be a burgeoning geek...?

Anyway.

There's nothing wrong w/being proud of one's "geeky" status, but starting off w/"are there any real geeks here? B/c I'm tired of nOObs," is going to rub people the wrong way, regardless of how many computers they have or haven't built.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:55:12 AM by SassyPants »
Pages: [1] 2