The Geek Forum

• March 28, 2024, 07:06:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129468
  • Total Topics: 7101
  • Online Today: 48
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Nonsense I've been watching lately  (Read 2113 times)

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Nonsense I've been watching lately
« on: January 25, 2015, 11:09:36 AM »

• The Harry Potter movies.  I have all 8 on blu-ray and they're visually gorgeous.  I've been thinking about re-reading the books, since it's been almost 10 years since I last touched them.  I still enjoy the films though.
  • Haven, via Netflix.  I'm on season 4 of this series and it's actually still interesting.  SyFy is so hit and miss for me, but when they're good they really tend to be worth watching.
  • Friends, also via Netflix.  Yes, somewhat of a guilty pleasure, but I find that it still holds up after all these years, at least to an extent.  There are some episodes that are still laugh-out-loud funny to me.
  • That 70s Show, via Netflix.  Haven't watched any of it since it first aired (I never got into this show in syndication).  Two observations: I find that I treasure every episode featuring Tommy Chong -- comedy gold!  And Red Forsman starts out being pretty funny, but his lines get kind of tired by the end of the 2nd season, and after that it's just more of the same.
  • Black Mirror, via Netflix.  Check this one out if you haven't seen it.  It's very thinky, kind of Phillip K. Dick-ian in that there aren't always clear "right" and "wrong" threads in the stories, but it's an interesting if dark look at humanity and is very science fiction in its approach.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Re: Nonsense I've been watching lately
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:08:46 PM »

That 70's Show has been my bed-time show for a couple of weeks now and I'm about half-way through season 7. I agree about Red and Tommy. In the first 2 seasons, you could do a "Live lessons from Red Foreman" list and come up with a gem just about every week. Beyond season 2... not so much.

Oz Streaming on Amazon Prime. LOVE this show so far. I watched The Wire first not realizing that Oz starred many of the same actors. Both series are great and I recommend either/both.

Arrow On episode 14 or so. Thoroughly enjoying it but I see how it could quickly jump the shark if they're not careful.

Sherlock I've watched 4 'episodes'. I like when they do the micro-pauses to show how he's quickly assessing everyone and identifying things. It makes me wish I was hyper observant and glad that I'm not at the same time.

Gotham... kind of. Sort of. They seemed to do a really good job drawing me into the first 4 episodes. Then... YAWN. I don't know... just kind of losing interest.

I think my next bed-time show (the show that I pseudo-watch (because I've watched it before I don't need to 'watch' it (plus the settings are very limited so there's really no need to actually look at the screen) so it's like a radio show) as I fall asleep) will be Dexter.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 12:11:02 AM »

I watched maybe ten minutes of some makeover show my wife had on.  The before and after was quite impressive.  Other than that, I don't think I've watched TV since the season Finale of South Park.  I have been playing a lot of Spongebob and Super Mario Brothers with Ian on the Wii though.

zorgon

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +70/-1
  • His *brain* is gone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 10:04:21 AM »

We didn't watch much tele in the '90s and '00s so we're catching up.
Buffy - finished it - man was it over
Angel - most of the way through but it's freakin' tedious at this point
Gilmore girls - I only like Sookie, everyone else can freeze in an ultrablizzard
Most current thing we're watching is Agents of SHIELD - got better at the end but a little mellow, as in melodromatic

Dammit, Jim ...