The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 11:08:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 179
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Cellphone Article  (Read 2397 times)

Anonymous

Cellphone Article
« on: June 29, 2004, 06:52:22 PM »

I had an idea for an article discussing cell phones. I was aiming at something like, "All cell phone carriers suck, get over it".

Basically, I have T-Mobile, and I cannot use my cellphone in my own house, and pretty much where ever else I go the service is really spotty. Except at work and school, both places where I cannot use it whenever I want to.

Any one else have any other ideas that I could put into the article? I'm hoping to touch upon just how much everyone relies on their cell phones, how having the latest cellphone model and ring tones makes you "cool", how more people use their cell phones while driving because they know it's dangerous and against the law (At least in New Jersey), and maybe some other stuff as I come up with it.

Anonymous

Cellphone Article
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 07:05:32 AM »

I'll tell you a story that may inspire you.

I got a cellphone not long ago. Motorola T720.

It's a fucking piece of shit. The reception is very bad. For example, I play D&D in a meeting room at the office and when my GF calls me, I have to leave the building if I want to hear her.

For the record, I only had that phone for about 5 weeks. They refused to give me a new one. "Sorry, there's a 30 day exchange policy. We have to send it to the repair place in Halifax". Fine assholes. But you better fix it. Then they inform me that they need the original receipt. They take the receipt and send it along with the phone. At this point, I have no receipt anymore. No proof that I even purchased a phone from these retards. As I point that out, they say "Well they need the receipts at the repair place. We have to send it. That's just how it works". OK fine. They could screw me big time later, but since the phone doesn't work anyway, I have nothing to loose.

I got it back 3 weeks later (and I still have to pay my monthly bill even if I didn't actually have the phone because they sold me a lemon). So when I pick it up, they can't find my receipt. It was supposed to be sent back. So they just stand ther ewith a confused look when I demand my receipt as it is the only proof of purchase I have and I require that danm thing for my warranty in case of any future problems. So they look around but can't find it. Then I ask, can't you just go in my profile on your little computer and reprint the damn thing? I don't care what it is you need to do, I just want to walk out with a fucking proof of purchase Mkay?

So they do just that. Great! But there's one problem, I actually purchased two phones. One for myself and one for the GF. We share the same plan. The new receipt they just gave me only shows my phone.

So I ask for a new receipt again, this time for the other phone. They say "Huh? Well we didn't do anything with the other phone. We can only give you a recepit for your own phone." I'm not to happy at this point and I say "Look Sherlock, when I came here 5 weeks ago, I purchased two phones. Not one. Two! A single receipt was issued to me which included the transaction for the two phones. In order to get any service, which is apparently an alien concept to you people, I need a proof of purchase. For the duration of my warantee on both phones, I need a proof of purchase for each phone. I had one. You idiots lost it. Now print me a new one for each phone. It's not rocket science!"

OK so I finally get a receipt for the other phone. Next, I asked what was done with my phone in terms of repair. The guy has no clue. He looks in the computer... "They soldered some parts and upgraded your software"

Ooooookay.... That doesn't tell me much. Was there a defect in the phone? Did they have to change any parts or was it just a loose part?

Long story short, I couldn't get any answers nor could I get the phone number to the repair shop. In the end, I still have a phone that sucks ass. I have a feeling they took my phone and left it on a shelf for 3 wekks then called me back. Fucking assholes. I'm never buying anything from that place again.

To make things more ironic, I had justed attended a conference on customer service that very morning. I had a bunch of scribbled notes in my pockets. I almost reached out for them and offer to make them a copy. I figured they could use some pointers. But it wasn't worth my time so I didn't.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Cellphone Article
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 08:34:45 AM »

Judge, that belongs in the Rants section.  It's a good one.

Dude, you're just FULL of good material lately.  What's up with that?

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Cellphone Article
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 08:38:16 AM »

Of course the reception sucks--look at that stub of an antenna!

Anonymous

Cellphone Article
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 08:58:43 AM »

Quote from: catwritr
Of course the reception sucks--look at that stub of an antenna!

But all the phones are like that now!

Anonymous

Cellphone Article
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 12:06:14 PM »

Quote from: Demosthenes
Dude, you're just FULL of good material lately.  What's up with that?

Karma? I don't know. I don't feel like I'm coming up with more stuff than I used to. I feel like my stuff is often lame anyway. It doesn't have that Lacerda touch.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Cellphone Article
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 12:21:24 PM »

It was still pretty good.  Better than anything I wrote today.  :)

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Cellphone Article
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 08:03:47 PM »

Quote from: TheJudge
It doesn't have that Lacerda touch.

What, you mean that it's actually been written?
 :roll: