The Geek Forum

• May 15, 2024, 10:00:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129631
  • Total Topics: 7188
  • Online Today: 198
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Stupid FedEx  (Read 2942 times)

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Stupid FedEx
« on: March 12, 2005, 12:34:00 PM »

<rant>

So I ordered a computer tower with a power supply, as well as a hard drive and a froppy drive from Geeks.com and because their shipping option gave me an estimated delivery date of Friday, I put my work address as the ship-to.

So Thursday, I go to track the package on FedEx's website, and see that they changed the delivery date to Saturday.

Confused, I call FedEx and ask them why.

They tell me "oh, because we're more likely to reach people at home on Saturdays.  We scheduled a Saturday delivery for your convenience."

I say "it would be convenient for me if you were to just deliver it on Friday, because that address is my work address.  I won't be at work on Saturday, I'll be at home."

They then proceed to tell me that it's too late now to schedule a Friday delivery, so it'll have to be Saturday.  I ask them to change the ship-to then, so that they deliver it to my HOME address Saturday, and they inform me that I have to have Geeks.com do that.

So I call Geeks.com and have them call FedEx and tell them to change the ship-to to my home address, which they do.

I call FedEx back and verify that the ship-to was changed to my home address, and that delivery was still scheduled for Saturday, everything's fine.

So today I'm waiting for my package at home, and I figure I'd go track it to see what the status is.

On FedEx's site, they now list the package as "on FedEx vehicle for delivery", but for some reason the "Estimated Delivery Date" is now listed as Tuesday next week.  

:?: :?: :?:

Grrrrrrr....

So I call FedEx again, go through their stupid voice activated phone menu system again, and finally reach a real person and ask why it takes three fricking days for the FedEx delivery vehicle in St Cloud, MN to get to my house when I can easily do it in 20 minutes or less.

FedEx Guy: Well the delivery date was rescheduled for Tuesday next week because there was nobody at the delivery address when delivery was attempted.

Me: That's funny.  I've been here all day so far and nobody's rung my bell or knocked on my door.

FedEx: Delivery was attempted at 9:00 am.

Me: At 9:00 this morning I was in my kitchen making coffee.  Nobody attempted delivery then.

FedEx: At this address?  <reads off my work address>

Me: No.  That's my work address.  I'm at home.  I'm not at work on Saturdays.  That's why I had the vendor change the ship-to on this package to <my home address>.

FedEx:  Oh.

Me: Why did the driver attempt delivery at my work address?

FedEx: We thought the new address was a business, so we tried delivering to the original address first because it was Saturday, and we're more likely to reach people at home on Saturdays.

Me: (Trying hard to keep calm) No, that's my work address.  You people changed my delivery date to a Saturday, so I had to change the ship-to to accommodate that.  Now it's Saturday, I have given you the correct delivery address, and you idiots change your gameplan again and go back to the original address?  

FedEx: Well we were trying to do this for your convenience.

Me: What would have been CONVENIENT for me is if you people had delivered the package TO THE ADDRESS I ORIGINALLY GAVE THE VENDOR on the day you originally scheduled!  Instead, you tried to anticipate, and now you've screwed it up to the point where I'm not going to get it at all until TUESDAY?

FedEx: Well all the drivers are gone now... I can have it delivered to your work address on Monday... will that work?

Me: No.  You will deliver my package to my home address, and you will do it today.

FedEx: I might be able to swing that... but it'll be after 5:00.

Me: If you tell me it's going to be after 5:00, then I'm going to come down there to pick it up myself.  That will take me 20 minutes.

FedEx: Well that might work too.

Me: You don't want me to do that.  Don't make me come down there.

FedEx: How's 2:00?

Me: 2:00 is fine.  You mean today still, right?

FedEx: Right.

Me: That's just fine.

Bunch of fuckups.  Next time I'm going UPS.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Anonymous

Stupid FedEx
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 12:42:44 PM »

Hahaha! That is pricless! I hope they don't deliver. I really want you to go down there and write about it!

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Stupid FedEx
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 12:45:49 PM »

If I have to go down there, that guy's going to wish he'd gone to HN and asked for hacking advice.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Stupid FedEx
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 12:51:44 PM »

"Don't make me come down there."

Heheheheheheheh.

Anonymous

Stupid FedEx
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 12:52:10 PM »

Well there you go! You just made a sigworthy statement!

ivan

Stupid FedEx
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 01:51:00 PM »

"But you don't understand, sir. It might take you 20 minutes to pick up your package, but for us to get it to you we have to route it through our Memphis hub. It's more efficient that way."

Anonymous

Stupid FedEx
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 09:36:57 AM »

FedEX is usually really good with what they do. I've usually had problems with UPS, if I ever do go with them. Hell, even USPS gives me a bunch of BS. One day I got a piece of paper saying, "Sorry, we missed you" from the mailman, and I was home all day, and never heard a knock, or a doorbell ring.

Oh, by the way, what case and hard drive did you go from Geeks.com? I've been thinking about getting two 200 gig hard drives for about 100 a piece, but have been holding off.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Stupid FedEx
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 09:45:56 AM »

I've had pretty good luck with UPS, for the most part.  At least they don't try to anticipate and fuck things up with delivery schedules like FedEx just did for me.  Jerks.

BTW, that guy showed up at my doorstep with my delivery at 2:00 sharp, too.

Case: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CP769PL-6&cat=CAS
Hard Drive: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=WD1200BB-N&cat=HDD

Socrates

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +123/-2
    • View Profile
Stupid FedEx
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 10:20:50 AM »

I always have had nothing but problems with UPS and always good experiences with FedEx.  Hey at least you got your case right?
--this space intentionally left blank--

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Stupid FedEx
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 10:27:14 AM »

Quote from: Socrates
I always have had nothing but problems with UPS and always good experiences with FedEx.  Hey at least you got your case right?

Only after getting really nasty with them.  

I guess if nothing else, I can at least give them kudos for their online tracking system.

If it weren't for that, I wouldn't have had any idea how fucked up they were and I'd still be waiting for the goddamn thing.

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
Stupid FedEx
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 04:07:42 PM »

That's funny.  Perhaps it's because the wife and I order so much stuff or something.  FedEx or UPS will simply put the package on the back porch unless it is large enough to require a signature.  I don't think they have to think about it anymore when they see our address.

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

Socrates

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +123/-2
    • View Profile
Stupid FedEx
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 04:43:21 PM »

I know that with FedEx you can sign something saying 'leave it (back porch, neighbor, right here, etc)' and then even if the package requires a signature they'll just leave it.  That's worked for me pretty well.  With UPS I have to leave a note on the door saying that the neighbors, who are retired and always home, will sign for it.  If I try changing the delivery address with UPS to my work they always end up just trying to deliver it to the house again.
--this space intentionally left blank--

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Stupid FedEx
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 04:53:16 PM »

I'm spoiled; the management office signs for all packages if we aren't home.