The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 05:59:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129555
  • Total Topics: 7152
  • Online Today: 270
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 9-11  (Read 23348 times)

Anonymous

9-11
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2002, 05:01:55 PM »

Feel free to take a stand about a topic, and actually know about that topic. Don't lie and act like you know about that topic. That is when trouble starts.

That has to be one of the more "classic" threads at HN.

Didn't Thunders house burn down after that?  :roll:

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +2/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ice-on-fire.net
9-11
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2002, 05:47:27 PM »

"I am a badass, I have my guns"

"HTML"

HAHAH -  HTML VIRII!!!!

hhaha, what good reading material.  i would have replied to it, but i didn't want to 'bump' it... seeing as people usually don't like when 'bump'ing is done.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
9-11
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2002, 05:50:53 PM »

As far as bumping old threads goes, not when there isn't a pretty good reason to do it, and certainly not in a "classic" thread like that one.

Like Chris said, don't be too intimidated.  I'm not a complete asshole, and I do honestly respect informed opinions that don't necessarily have to agree with mine.

It's the ignorant, uninformed types I have a beef with, and I have no mercy with, and I don't feel particularly guilty about gutting someone who likes to throw around uninformed opinions either.  That's just waving a flag around that says "someone kick my virtual ass, please!", and I'm more than happy to oblige, if I've got the ammo (i.e., if it's a topic with which I am familiar and comfortable).

I respect people who have done some thinking about the opinions they profess to have.  If you have never thought about why you feel a particular way on a subject, then perhaps deep down, you don't actually feel that way, or when presented with more information, or a persuasive argument, your opinion can change.

I believe it was Socrates who said, "An unexamined life is not worth living".  Personally I wouldn't go that far with it, but I most certainly would twist that to say something to the effect of "an unexamined opinion is not worth expressing".

Sadly, most people (and usually the loudest, most outspoken ones) have no idea why they hold the opinions they are so vocal about.  And usually when they start pushing, they crumble when pushed back.  I'm usually the guy that pushes back.  I don't think that makes me a jerk or anything (though I'm sure the ones I'm pushing might think so), I'm just assertive, and I try to be informed before entering any battle.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
9-11
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2002, 06:17:31 PM »

I loved the bullshit alert, or whatever it was.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
9-11
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2002, 08:47:07 PM »

What, this old thing?

It's not mine, I just found it by doing a search for "bullshit detector" or something like that.  GIS is good for that kind of thing...

Anonymous

9-11
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2002, 09:13:53 AM »

well Demo, I agree with pretty much everything you said. It is unfortunate that some people can't always see the big picture before they speak their mind, especially on sensitive topics like this. I remember talking to a kid on a forums a few days after the incident. He got kicked out of school for beating up some other kid who said something like "they deserved it" or what ever. What I told him was this:

Every one is entitled to their own opinions, regardless of whether you approuve of it or not. However, when you turn your emotions into actions, such as beating someone for speaking their mind, you cross the line.

I live my life by a very simple rule. It keeps me from making enemies and sometimes requires self-discipline, but it in end it's worth it. If everyone in the world lived by this principle, there would be no wars. The idea is so simple, yet emotions get in the way for most people. The principle defines what is right and wrong. The principle is this: You have the right to do everything you want, when ever you wnat, where ever you want, as long as what you do does not affect the rights of others. A stupid basic example of this idea is :

I think Demo as a great car. I whish I could steal his Car.

So far, I did not break and of Demo's rights. However, if I act on my emotions and actually steal Demo's car, then I have broken Demo's right to own his car. So it's wrong.

Thinking "I think Demo as a great car. I whish I could steal his Car." is right because I am the owner of my own thoughts, and they have not affected Demo in any way.

When in conflict, I look back on this principle to determine what actions are acceptable and which ones are not. It keeps me out of trouble and because of it, I have no ennemies and I never will. I always trie to analyze the situation in great detail before I make my move. It's kind of like being a Vulcan! lol! But in the end, that's what freedom is all about.

Anonymous

9-11
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2002, 01:57:25 PM »

I wouldn't blame the kid for beating the crap out of the other one that said, "they deserved it". I still cannot comprehend how some people think that falling 1,000 feet to their deaths and hitting the ground at over 150 miles an hour is "acceptable punishment for going to work".

I understand, however, that hitting someone is asult, no matter what the case. But still... his stupidity deserved some sort of retort.

Banshee

• Geek
  • Coolio Points: +106/-3
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
9-11
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2002, 11:13:54 PM »

That thread....
*snicker*
Should...
*snort*
Be called "Comedy Gold: The Immortal Bag of Laughs."
OMFGLOL!!11!!1!!

Lol, the way you can read some of the stuff "Thunder3davis" said and find something new to laugh at every time is incredible. And that's not even mentioning Demo's entirely creative and infinitely amusing rhetoric ...

Hahaha....I can't stop laughing!!!

You just made my week!!!
"Dear pete, lol. U r dum." - Bobert

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
9-11
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2002, 04:22:41 PM »

Considering the fact that Thunder3Davis is now among us, I maybe wouldn't go so far as to insult him again.

Insulting his text should be proper though.

Banshee

• Geek
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
9-11
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2002, 09:05:19 PM »

That wasn't an intentional insult...I just found plenty of humor in that thread.

Someone should plug that thing in a sticky thread on here.
"Read this if you've had a bad day"

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
9-11
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2002, 10:11:21 PM »

Bad day? www.zombo.com

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
9-11
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2002, 04:30:16 PM »

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT??

I had a good laugh though. I'll remember that for next time I wanna piss someone off.

That was fucking hilarious!  :lol:

Paco DeGaillo

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +2/-0
    • View Profile
9-11
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2002, 02:20:39 AM »

Quote from: Demosthenes
Well, that's what happens when you bottle up your anger for a whole year... ;)

I would ask WHY you bottled it up for a whole year, but you'd prolly just tear me a new asshole for asking... Of course, if you DID bottle it in something other yourself, well - there's a hellova market for Premium Insta-Rage!

Hey, Demo - yeah, I'm a newbie pest here, too, now. You may want to just go ahead and tell Chris to ban me. I'd understand, I guess, given my windiness and whatever else about my posts you consider to be crap.

Anyway, I got this site URL from one of your HN posts so I reg'ed and am coming by occasionally to learn my way around. You, uh, sorta cut loose over here! And I dunno how I missed the thread over on HN that you referred to here, but it was a hoot to read! Nice thorough, well-reasoned, well-spoken, nay eloquent ass-kicking! I should save it and offer it to those I speak with who think there isn't any honest and effective communication in 'Net forums! Proof such as that is hard to ignore!

Wary :)  Regards,
degaillo

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
9-11
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2002, 09:21:46 PM »

??? Mind telling us who this IS Demo ???

I'm confuzzled... :shock:

Paco DeGaillo

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
9-11
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2002, 10:37:07 PM »

Quote from: Dark Shade
??? Mind telling us who this IS Demo ???

I'm confuzzled... :shock:

Do I need an introduction, Oh Dark One, to post in thine presence?

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
9-11
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2002, 07:38:12 AM »

<sarcasm>
Actually YES...you DO...
</sarcasm>

Even though I don't know you...you're aights. Sorry for being so bitchy...just didn't know you. Thought you were some foreign dude..for all I know you could be. Someone's probably already said this...but what the hell...WELCOME!

Banshee

• Geek
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
9-11
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2002, 08:50:31 AM »

Hey Paco! Good to see ya.

I like forum-hopping myself. It's a nice information overload for those days when you just can't seem to get enough. :)

Actually, its just that some days this forum is slow, and I end up posting a lot on HN instead.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
9-11
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2002, 11:05:36 AM »

Heyyyy.... Paco's here!  Sweet!  I was just tossing around the idea of PMing you over on HN to invite you over here to help me balance the place out a bit with at least one more heavyweight among the featherweights that are all over the place over here.  Nice timing, and great thread to make your first appearance in.  I was in a particularly cranky mood that day, but I think I probably would have jumped on this one regardless...

As for your posts over on HN, Paco, don't take my silence to be disapproval.  Your posts on the Middle East are far, far more informed and well-reasoned than anything I could scrape together, and while I try to keep abreast of events, and while I agree with your stance on the situation almost entirely, I admit I am not in what I would consider to be a "comfortable arguing position" to even interject any of my opinions into the threads that you have been debating in (lest I end up like anzac over there... outgunned, outmaneuvered, and out-and-out in over my head).

I don't like to enter debates I don't have a shot at winning, and since I actually agree with you over there (in the "Iraq" thread), I just sound like a piping little "me too!" whenever I compose a post, so I always end up deleting anything I've written in response to yours....

Anonymous

9-11
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2002, 01:56:05 PM »

Quote from: Banshee

I like forum-hopping myself. It's a nice information overload for those days when you just can't seem to get enough. :)

Actually, its just that some days this forum is slow, and I end up posting a lot on HN instead.

You live in Maryland and this forum is slow sometimes? Sheesh, I live in new Jersey and this is NEVER slow. The reason being is that the server itself is in Pennsylvania, not California as I had been lead to believe, so it stumps me as to why it would be that slow for you.

Anyway, welcome aboard, Paco. Good to see you jump on the boat.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
9-11
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2002, 02:55:15 PM »

Lol.  Chris, I think by "slow" he is referring to the times when occasionally there isn't much going on around here, not the actual loading time.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
9-11
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2002, 04:45:17 PM »

*Pbsaurus makes his entry*

Did somebody order slow?

Banshee

• Geek
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
9-11
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2002, 08:55:44 PM »

Erm, speaking of outgunned Demo, I tried to jump in on the whole deal  too, and Paco's six-guns started ablazin'... :)

Well, I still believe that my position had merit, and, at least to me, more than a little truth.

And Chris, I DID mean the post quality, not the loading time. :D

Paco DeGaillo

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
9-11
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2002, 06:03:48 AM »

Quote from: Banshee

There aren't many topics in the politcal area I would respond to - except this one, of course!

Thanx for the welcome - I thought Dark Shade was gonna shoot me down upon entry - n00bie dog that I am!

So, let's liven this forum up a bit. The whole site sure as hell loads faster than HN!
 8)

Paco DeGaillo

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
9-11
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2002, 06:11:32 AM »

Quote from: Dark Shade
<sarcasm>
Actually YES...you DO...
</sarcasm>

Even though I don't know you...you're aights. Sorry for being so bitchy...just didn't know you. Thought you were some foreign dude..for all I know you could be. Someone's probably already said this...but what the hell...WELCOME!

Geographically, I AM a foreign dude - and you would be right as rain in MY book to profile my ass thoroughly - I'm in one of those terminally fucked countries of the M.E... for the last 2 yrs, anyway. But today is a glorious day - I'm doing day 3 of a vacation in Awesome Asia, Chaing Mai, Thailand, to be precise - and loving it!

But I'm 100% 'Merican - though it was an accident of birth and not some brilliance on my part that gave me the lap of luxury as a home - land. Funny how that term, homeland, seemed to stick in my "throat" as I was typing it - wonder why that seemed out of place for an American say? I'll have to think about that... may be a thread there worthy of examination: Which countries engender the Russian-style Motherland / German-style Fatherland views - and which don't... and why...

Anyway, thanx for the welcome. I am a red-neck liberal / cosmic cowboy conservative, sorta. Yeah, that's as close as I can get in a few werdz. Grinz.

Paco DeGaillo

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
9-11
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2002, 06:41:19 AM »

Quote from: Demosthenes
Heyyyy.... Paco's here!  Sweet!
 I was just tossing around the idea of PMing you over on HN to invite you over here to help me balance the place out a bit with at least one more heavyweight among the featherweights that are all over the place over here.  Nice timing, and great thread to make your first appearance in.  I was in a particularly cranky mood that day, but I think I probably would have jumped on this one regardless...[/b]
I don't pretend to know the flavor here - only browsed it for a few days (since I saw your reference to it, in fact), but thanks for the invite! I have seen some familiar monikers, so I didn't feel like it was Mars, but the n00b should always tred semi-lightly! And this WAS the only thread I was interested in checking into - it seems politics is low on the agenda hereabouts. - and that's not a bad thing, per se!

As for your posts over on HN, Paco, don't take my silence to be disapproval.  Your posts on the Middle East are far, far more informed and well-reasoned than anything I could scrape together, and while I try to keep abreast of events, and while I agree with your stance on the situation almost entirely, I admit I am not in what I would consider to be a "comfortable arguing position" to even interject any of my opinions into the threads that you have been debating in (lest I end up like anzac over there... outgunned, outmaneuvered, and out-and-out in over my head).
As for the last part - Ha! You'll never be outgunned by anyone! That would be the day! I'm a hack English mechanic - and you're a goddamned best-selling author! I don't even pretend in the dark that I do more than overwhelm them with sheer volume!

Regards your first sentence - I am more than happy to hear this - I wondered why you (and Lacerda and Joe Sixpack and others) hadn't jumped in. That wildman, Pbsaurus, did - and he was just lightening the tension! I didn't think my take could be 180 deg from yours, anyway. And since I had read many eloquent and reasoned posts of yours, I did (do) hope you would weigh in and apply some of that magic to the threads. I know I'm myopic and only engage on certain topics, but like you said / implied, I don't always feel I'm auto-qualified just because I have a keyboard in front of me. Picky picky, eh?

I would, if it's comfortable over here on GTG (How DO you guys refer to this site?), like to understand your reference to a "comfortable arguing position" - not to pry, but that's an intriguing tidbit and I want to understand. Your main squeeze isn't a Lebanese Princess or something and hates that MoFo DeGaillo prick, right? <G> If that's the case, flame me! Gotta pay attention to priorities - and that's the ultimate priority... right behind breathing!

I don't like to enter debates I don't have a shot at winning, and since I actually agree with you over there (in the "Iraq" thread), I just sound like a piping little "me too!" whenever I compose a post, so I always end up deleting anything I've written in response to yours....
Okay. Well, I self-edit constantly so second-guessing you would be stupid, but I doubt that you would've done anything but bring the quality up and clarify my muddles.

Now which threads DO you disagree with? Fire away! I'll take notes!

Good to be here and, if Chris doesn't get fed up and whack me, I hope to liven up the pol forum a little. I sure would like to engage you more often. Your Libertarian stand and your statement to the effect that the whores (Demo's - sorry, my term for 'em - and Pub's) had stolen your country certainly had the ring of truth and conviction to it. I don't remember precisely which / where I read it, but it sure as hell struck me as a war-cry worthy of a stand-alone thread. I happen to think that almost all of our Original (read: created by Continental Congress) Institutions are quite wonderful, but are infested with self-serving vermin, at times. Once in awhile we have to come along, get pissed off, and clean one or two of them out! So I definitely separate the Office from the Officeholder, and give respect to the former even when I consider the latter to be a total ass.

Uh, oh, there I go again. Back on-topic, it's good to be here, GTG runs a shitload faster than HN, and I'm glad that I haven't (yet) stepped on my dick! A semi-fresh start!
 :o
Pages: 1 [2] 3