The Geek Forum

• May 16, 2024, 05:51:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129632
  • Total Topics: 7188
  • Online Today: 168
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: the war  (Read 49226 times)

12AX7

Re: the war
« Reply #225 on: July 23, 2006, 01:41:55 AM »

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 23, 2006, 02:01:26 AM »

<snip> People think differently, so we do. So stop acting like I'm incorrect for not favoring what you favour, you're just making yourself look ignorant. You brought forth all your points, and I am unconvinced. So drop it.
Oh, that is rich!  We're making ourselves look ignorant?  We should drop it?  I've got news for you, you asked "why the hate".  You got a very reasonable answer to that question.  An answer that I suspect you have no idea how to respond to.  As such, you resort to, "you're ignorant and I'm a bigger person because I'm willing to just drop it". 

You know, on second thought, never mind.  Go ahead and think what you want.  Go ahead and think that you're more intelligent, more well read, more enlightened and a better debater than everyone else with whom you've discoursed.  The rest of us will just kick ourselves for wasting the last few days engaging with someone who is the debating equivalent of a poo flinging monkey.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 23, 2006, 03:23:10 AM »

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 23, 2006, 09:52:15 AM »

This isn't a waste of time at all. This is highly amusing.  :-D
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 23, 2006, 11:05:19 AM »

Oh, that is rich!  We're making ourselves look ignorant?  We should drop it?  I've got news for you, you asked "why the hate".  You got a very reasonable answer to that question.  An answer that I suspect you have no idea how to respond to.  As such, you resort to, "you're ignorant and I'm a bigger person because I'm willing to just drop it".

First of all. I asked Ivan. Second of all, you're insulting me personally for having different opinions than you. That's not a policy that goes along with the democracy we both love.

You know, on second thought, never mind.  Go ahead and think what you want.  Go ahead and think that you're more intelligent, more well read, more enlightened and a better debater than everyone else with whom you've discoursed.  The rest of us will just kick ourselves for wasting the last few days engaging with someone who is the debating equivalent of a poo flinging monkey.

Once again, you show your ignorance. I never said I was the best debator here, or the most well read. I merely took in what everyone said and decided not to change my opinion because I didn't find any of the reasons provided for those beliefs to be convincing to me. I never disrespected anyone elses opinions like you are doing to mine. So thus, I think you're a terrible debator, but everyone who remained somewhat civil I have nothing to say except, good debate, it was interesting.
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 23, 2006, 12:54:11 PM »

I like grape ones.  Those ones with stuff like gum or tootsie rolls in the middle aren't my favorites, though.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 23, 2006, 07:20:32 PM »

Vespertine, you don't agree with me, fine. You wish to debate your theories and ideologies against mine, that's fine. But then you and Demo start getting aggrovated because I refuse to agree with you.

That is untrue my friend. I have known Demo and V for far too long and I can tell you that the reason they are agravated, as I am, is not because you do not agree with them, it is because you fail to recognize the wholes in your arguments. You can disagree with me if you want, I don't mind at all, but at least do so logically.

Now, as far as things getting personal, I'm going to simplify things for everyone: The next person who posts a comment in here and directly attacks another individual for no reason will get banned. I don't care who you are. If you can't contain your emotions and remain objective, don't post in here.

TRAHALD

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +14/-22
  • IDDQD
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 23, 2006, 08:39:41 PM »

An Army friend of mine has a great saying that I like to apply to this kind of debate:

"Whether you agree with the reason we went to war or not, the fact of the matter is that we're invested in this now.  Once the dust settles we can all sit back and debate what a huge debacle this war was or wasn't.  But the reality is that of we withdraw from Iraq at this point we'll just have a nest of snakes to deal with at a latter time."

I like his sentiment.  The past is past, we need to deal with the present.  All this talk of "we were wrong to go there in the first place" is valid, but not appropriate.  It's like bitching about bot having stopped for gas after you already went dry.  Fix the problem at hand first, write the history books later.  For the record, by the way, I was and still am anti-war; but I'm also a realist.
"There seems to be no good reason why a thoroughly scientific dictatorship should ever be overthrown." - Aldous Huxley

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 23, 2006, 10:22:48 PM »

That is untrue my friend. I have known Demo and V for far too long and I can tell you that the reason they are agravated, as I am, is not because you do not agree with them, it is because you fail to recognize the wholes in your arguments. You can disagree with me if you want, I don't mind at all, but at least do so logically.

You were the first person to point out the only real hole I've seen, and it was about protecting your bussiness interest by force if you have to. My argument is shaky there, although I still have a reasonable retorts. Everything before that, included humans are all humans regardless (which I don't agree with), calling me authortarian (which isn't true in the slightest), you wouldn't like it if it was you (which I answered) and if you bend one rule you can openly break every other rule (which is not true in most cases). Just because you bring up a valid point doesn't mean I won't try to find a hole in your argument (like all of you have been doing to mine).

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 24, 2006, 06:50:56 AM »

The past is past, we need to deal with the present.
It's true we can't change the past, however it's always important to study our past in order to learn from it and not make the same mistakes over and over. So in that spirit, there's absolutely nothing wrong in debating the war, or any other event. It's also a good mental exercice that allows exchange of ideas with others, it often provides new information, and in the end allows us to reevaluate our position. You are right, we do need to deal with the present (and with the future too!), but we can't do that effectively without looking at the past.

Just because you bring up a valid point doesn't mean I won't try to find a hole in your argument
I certainly hope so! If you stop looking for holes, then you're no longer debating! Essentially, what you want to do is look for holes until you can't find any OR until you can't come up with a proposal that has less holes than what was presented to you. When you reach that point, then I think it's fair to say you're no longer wining the debate.

Oh, one last thing. I actually took the time to reread the whole thread to see if your complaint of "things getting personal" was warranted. 
...you guys are turning it into sometime personal

From that point, I looked at all previous posts and was only able to find three instances where there have been a direct personal attacks: 2 out of 3 were made by you Evonus. Tsk tsk tsk...

Once again, you show your ignorance.

Man you are incredibly stupidand as such I smite thee

...you're just an absolute pussy...  Why don't you pull your head out of your ass before you go insulting other people, okay. And Waldo, just in case you aren't smart enough to grasp what I just said, I'm insulting you:wink:

These are the only personal attacks I was able to identify in the entire thread. There has been sarcasim used, but I do not consider those instances attacks on your character or someone elses.

Evonus, I suggest you apologize to those you attacked. The same goes for you IFOUNDWALDO176. If things get personal again, you're out of here for good. Understood?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 07:19:05 AM by TheJudge »

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #235 on: July 24, 2006, 01:41:50 PM »

Lollipops are for suckers!

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #236 on: July 29, 2006, 11:03:35 AM »

...okay.

I was extremely anit-war in Iraq, until I was forced to read this article for my History final. It completely changed my opinions on the War.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 29, 2006, 06:07:27 PM »

...okay.

I was extremely anit-war in Iraq, until I was forced to read this article for my History final. It completely changed my opinions on the War.

I'm getting the sense that the reason we went to war, according to that article, is to "fight an evil regime".

Right, because he was the ONLY dictator in the world causing problems and we ALWAYS involve ourselves with a war if we find them...  :roll:
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

TRAHALD

• Jail Bait
  • IDDQD
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 29, 2006, 09:44:17 PM »

If this article is such an inciting read, why have we not invaded Iran when facts are just now coming to light about all the underage girls that have been put to death, most recently (most recently discovered, anyway) was a 16 year old girl hanged in 2004 for 'crimes against chastity.'  You can read about it on the BBC.  If we're so high and mighty about protecting innocents, than why aren't we in Iran saving innocents like Atefah Sahaaleh?
"There seems to be no good reason why a thoroughly scientific dictatorship should ever be overthrown." - Aldous Huxley

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 29, 2006, 09:52:11 PM »

Yeah the article was pretty bogus. It's propaganda to justify their war, and basically since the WMD argument fell through they're making up a new excuse.

Although there is an extreme difference between Iran and Iraq. The Ba'ath party overthrew the last regime, but then Sadam (who was second in command) killed the leader of the Ba'ath party and most of his followers and the ideals died with them. Since then he became nothing but a dictator. It's basically what happened to Trotsky when Stalin took over.

After the shah or Iran was overthrown the Ayatolla came into power by popular support and support of the religious leagues. They picked their leader so I mean, they can deal with it.

TRAHALD

• Jail Bait
  • IDDQD
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 29, 2006, 10:02:38 PM »

You make a good point.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #241 on: July 31, 2006, 01:04:16 PM »

It's the Washington Times.  Of course it's going to be pro-war.  Protecting innocents is not a valid reason to go to war, otherwise we would be at war with almost every country on earth.  Why aren't we in Darfur?  Why aren't we in China?

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 31, 2006, 01:29:59 PM »

why aren't we in China?

China would kick our ass.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 31, 2006, 03:41:42 PM »

I'm not sure we know where Darfur is.

Where is it by the way?

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 31, 2006, 03:44:03 PM »

I'm not sure we know where Darfur is.

Where is it by the way?

Darfur is on Dardoggie.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

jeee

• Dork
  • Coolio Points: +189/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 31, 2006, 04:00:14 PM »

There is a major genocide taking place in Darfur which is in Sudan. Thay have oil so it won't be long till the US is gonna bring them democracy.

:-D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]