The Geek Forum

• May 16, 2024, 11:51:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129633
  • Total Topics: 7189
  • Online Today: 168
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: the shrinking territories of homosexual marriage  (Read 35796 times)

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
Re: the shrinking territories of homosexual marriage
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2007, 06:20:19 PM »

You are glad another human being experienced unimaginable pain.  You laughed at the anguish of that man's family.  That is one of your views that I would consider extreme.

That is definitely one of my more extreme views. Another one would be my anti-religious sentiment, but besides those two I consider myself pretty moderate in most of my beliefs.

Erm...  I thought Evonus was gay. Or not entirely straight. Didn't I read that somewhere a while back? catwritr commented on it, saying something sarcastic about thanks for sharing your orientation...
 Were you kidding?
  I'll try to find that...   

maybe...

not.

**edit - oh and HAHA!! "Left" . . . "Right" . . .  thats cute.

I believe that was a joke I made, or she made or whatever. I'm straight, I've always been straight, I will probably always be straight.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 06:22:42 PM by Evonus »
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

12AX7

« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2007, 09:42:07 PM »

Oh, ok, then. Clarity ensues.

So, does anyone know if a single person can adopt? I've never actually heard of that. If not; I wonder what that excuse would be.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2007, 01:55:44 PM »

Oh, ok, then. Clarity ensues.

So, does anyone know if a single person can adopt? I've never actually heard of that. If not; I wonder what that excuse would be.

Adoption laws vary greatly state by state and singles can adopt in many of them.

Elensar

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +1/-12
  • My own world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2007, 09:26:02 PM »

I myself am for gay marriage. I am bisexual and know that you do not turn this way or that way. It is the way you are born. It is what you feel in your heart and soul not what you feel in your nether regions. Well you feel it too but the point is that as long as others are not forcing their living styles down everyone's throats then what's the problem? I mean if you aren't being forced to marry gay if you are straight then why should you complain? You live your life I'll live mine. You have no right to complain if I am screwing up my life. I'll handle it when it comes time to.

Also most people say that marriage is miserable. If you really hate gays then let them get married. Let them deal with the torture of marriage. If you don't like it look the other way.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 06:06:02 PM by Demosthenes »
Follow your heart you never know where it might take you.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2007, 07:25:50 AM »

I myself am for gay marriage. I am bisexual and know that you do not turn this way or that way. It is the way you are born. It is what you feel in your heart and soul not what you feel in your nether regions. Well you feel it too but the point is that as long as others are not forcing their living styles down everyone's throats then what's the problem? I mean if you aren't being forced to marry gay if you are straight then why should you complain? You live your life I'll live mine. You have no right to complain if I am screwing up my life. I'll handle it when it comes time to.

Also most people say that marriage is miserable. If you really hate gays then let them get married. Let them deal with the torture of marriage. If you don't like it look the other way.
In case anyone with something other than the default theme wants to read this.

Elensar, stop using colored fonts, please. 
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Elensar

• Annoying Newbie
  • My own world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2007, 09:25:31 AM »

In case anyone with something other than the default theme wants to read this.

Elensar, stop using colored fonts, please. 

Sorry. I didn't think it bothered anyone.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2007, 10:59:38 AM »

I take comfort in the fact that I can now get hitched at Disneyland should I so desire for a small fee.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyid=2007-04-05T231045Z_01_N05453609_RTRUKOC_0_US-DISNEY-GAYWEDDING.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Elensar

• Annoying Newbie
  • My own world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2007, 03:26:19 PM »

I take comfort in the fact that I can now get hitched at Disneyland should I so desire for a small fee.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyid=2007-04-05T231045Z_01_N05453609_RTRUKOC_0_US-DISNEY-GAYWEDDING.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

Uh...That's interesting. Hm....I think the happiest place on earth just got more meaning to it.

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2007, 03:26:43 PM »

How's that?
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2007, 03:34:13 PM »

You know, cause gay means happy and all that.

I always thought that wedding package was gay any way.

Zephyr

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 18, 2007, 10:13:47 AM »

I would agree with the concept of leaving marriage for the churches if it weren't for the tax breaks, medical power of attorney, insurance benefits, and whatever else legal mumbo jumbo benefits that you get out of being married.  Who doesn't want all that?  If I want my roommate to have health insurance and to be able to see me in the hospital when I've been in a car wreck, why not?  There are also consequences of divorce (alimony, child custody whatnot, half your crap becomes their crap, etc), so it's not like I'm going to go jumping into marriage either (let alone jumping out and then back in repeatedly).  It's not like there's going to be fire and brimstone because people can marry who they want.  Total marriage chaos, oh no!  Benefits running rampant, tax breaks flooding the cities!

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2007, 10:40:29 AM »

Re: tax breaks - There's no reason that the government should promote traditional (or other) marriage contracts via tax incentives.  I should no more be able to claim my wife as a dependent than I should be able to claim my lazy ass brother with whom I share a dwelling.  I can claim my wife as a dependent even though she brings in as much income as I do, but I can't do the same for a blood relative that lives with me?  Weird Tingly Feeling?  (fictitious scenario)

Re: the rest - Why can't I enter into a legal contract with my significant other without involving the church OR the government that provides for the same benefits as marriage?

There is no reason for the government to involve itself in the legal contractual agreements of consenting adults so long as nobody's rights are violated.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2007, 07:48:50 AM »

I want to play Devil's advocate.

The primary reason the governement is involved is because of the legislative aspects around  mariage. Not just tax benefits mentioned above, bot other things as well (like marying an immigrant and making them a citizen in doing so). How can you get tax benefits if the governement has no way of recognizing your union?

There is also the matter of estate when a spouse passes away. In order to apply the laws related to that event, a recognised contract must exist, and currently these are governement issued documents. In a sense, this provides additional protection to citizens because it makes forgery much more difficult to occur (vs a system where a signed agreement on a piece of paper between two individuals would be considered equivalent).

If there were no government benefits or implications as a result of such a contract, and no legislative implications, then yes, they wouldn't need to know about it. But until that changes, they will remain involved in the process and I don't see that as a negative thing at all. If you wish to decline those benefits, then go ahead and sign an agreement on a single page and consider yourself married. There is nothing preventing you from drafting such a contract. But if that contract doesn't change anything, doesn't have any implications, then you could wipe your ass with it at any time. It's worthless. You just killed a tree. Are you happy?  :lol:

Regarding tax breaks, you are incorrect in saying that the government has no reason in promoting traditional (or other) marriage contracts via tax incentives. Here's a possible reason: The governement wants the country to prosper, now and into the future. The governement beleives that encouraging unions equals the creation of new families, and this in turn creates new Americans when babies are born. Don't ask me how that happens. It's very mysterious, but I do beleive it involves a flower and a bee.  :-P By encouraging this procreation setting, the governement is ensuring that your society continues to thrive in the future. Maybe that's a possible reason. It's just like when the catholic church promotes procreation in order to acquire new followers.

Regarding your fictional lazy brother that lives with you, is it possible that the governement will not offer you tax breaks for your troubles because the governement doesn't want to encourage that sort of scenario? The government always has a motive when giving out tax breaks. Sometimes, businesses get tax breaks in order to build a plant in a remote area where lack of employement is a serious issue. They give tax breaks to influence individuals and corporations to move in a specific direction or take certain actions. I think the governemnt would much prefer that your brother got off his lazy ass, got a job, and became self sufficient. Is this because they care about your brother? Of course not. But if BizBros can become self sufficient and hold a job, that means your governement can tax him too. He becomes a source of revenue, not an expense as he would be if you were allowed to claim him as a dependent. That's why.

EDIT: I just realized that I'm sort of off topic. I need to gay it up a little next time.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 07:52:14 AM by TheJudge »

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2007, 10:20:23 AM »

Regarding your fictional lazy brother that lives with you, is it possible that the governement will not offer you tax breaks for your troubles because the governement doesn't want to encourage that sort of scenario? The government always has a motive when giving out tax breaks. Sometimes, businesses get tax breaks in order to build a plant in a remote area where lack of employement is a serious issue. They give tax breaks to influence individuals and corporations to move in a specific direction or take certain actions. I think the governemnt would much prefer that your brother got off his lazy ass, got a job, and became self sufficient. Is this because they care about your brother? Of course not. But if BizBros can become self sufficient and hold a job, that means your governement can tax him too. He becomes a source of revenue, not an expense as he would be if you were allowed to claim him as a dependent. That's why.
How is this different than my "spouse" either male or female?  A dependent is a dependent is a dependent.  It shouldn't matter what their sex, gender, age, sexual preferences or relationship is to the person supporting them. If they weren't a dependent, then they would theoretically be required to become self-sufficient and contribute to the tax income of the government.

Paladin

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2007, 03:04:27 PM »

Yea, but they don't make little future taxpayers / church goers. What next, imigration? Imigrants don't vote republicans.
"...And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth."

Eric Idle

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2007, 03:20:06 PM »

Yea, but they don't make little future taxpayers / church goers. What next, imigration? Imigrants don't vote republicans.

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that a surprising number of Cuban refugees lean heavily Republican.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2007, 03:24:49 PM »

That's only because Republicans are seen as being tougher on Fidel.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

RelandR

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +91/-4
  • This portion of the page intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2007, 03:34:28 PM »

How is this different than my "spouse" either male or female?  A dependent is a dependent is a dependent.  It shouldn't matter what their sex, gender, age, sexual preferences or relationship is to the person supporting them. ...
It doesn't matter, if they are totally and permently disabled ...
I suppose you could inflict some mayhem on that brother of yours and then you'll be in  ...... hmmm ...
well they don't make it easy, do they.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 22, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »

That's only because Republicans are seen as being tougher on Fidel.

I just want to visit to see their cool cars and maybe get a few cigars to bring back for my brother. I guess that makes me a commie pinko faggot.  :oops:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 22, 2007, 04:04:53 PM »

Naw... Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.

RelandR

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +91/-4
  • This portion of the page intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 22, 2007, 04:09:11 PM »

Commies smoke pink cigars ?

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #146 on: May 22, 2007, 04:37:36 PM »

I've got a cuban cigar I've been saving, but it's brown.
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 22, 2007, 04:49:28 PM »

What kind of occassion are you saving it for?

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2007, 05:09:02 PM »

Some friends of mine are thinking of having a cigar party.
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2007, 05:34:27 PM »

Do you think they will invite you?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7