The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 08:58:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 153
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Recommend me a good PDA/Cell phone  (Read 1560 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
Recommend me a good PDA/Cell phone
« on: January 22, 2007, 11:51:43 PM »

I have been eying the Samsung SCH I730 (picture attached below) for about a week now. I want this phone, or something like it, because of the features - SD slot, MS word document reader/editor, 802.11 compatability, and most of all, the ability to synchronize the phone's calendar with my Outlook Calendar with ease.

I have been holding back on buying this phone for a few main reasons:
1. Size. I know it's going to be slightly larger than my current phone (Currently a Razr), but I'm not sure how much larger it's really going to be.
2. I have read that some people have trouble using the QWERTY keyboard because it's so small.
3. I don't think I want to shell out another 30 a month to get wireless broadband from Verizon.

So I guess my questions are as follows:

1.Do you find a phone similar to the Samsung SCH I730 to be too large and too bulky to carry around? I'm not really too picky when it comes to this, but I just don't want something the size of a Bible on my hip while I'm walking around.
2. Is the keyboard difficult to type on? Or did it just take some time getting used to?
3. Is it still worth getting a phone like the Samsung SCH I730 if I'm not going to get the data plan from my provider, Verizon?

And lastly, can anyone recommend anything aside from the Samsung SCH I730 that they have used and liked?

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
Re: Recommend me a good PDA/Cell phone
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 01:43:05 AM »

I hate typing on anthing smaller than a standard sized PC keyboard and those tiny screens hurt my eyes. I miss the good old days when my phone took calls and my computer recieved text messages. I got a prepaid phone a while ago to have an untraceable line, but that's about as far as I care to mess with the damn witchboxes.
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend me a good PDA/Cell phone
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 02:01:53 PM »

I use my phone as a phone and for text messaging only. In fact, my phone is old enough (I'm guessing about 4 years?) that the Cingular stores don't carry the batteries anymore. Which sucks, because I finally have to replace the battery.

I'm not the one to ask about fancy-schmancy new phones, is what I'm sayin'.