The Geek Forum

• March 28, 2024, 02:02:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129470
  • Total Topics: 7101
  • Online Today: 54
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36

Author Topic: The 'Let's Bitch About Our Jobs' thread.  (Read 211640 times)

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Re: The 'Let's Bitch About Our Jobs' thread.
« Reply #775 on: June 16, 2010, 07:51:04 AM »

I suppose the FBI probably isn't as interesting as it used to be back in the Reagan administration.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: June 16, 2010, 09:54:43 AM »

You want to switch jobs with me? I'll taking your banking job, you can have my university one.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: June 16, 2010, 11:46:36 AM »

Bullshit.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: June 16, 2010, 02:00:41 PM »

4 hrs?

Geez. I still consider myself a young college person and I can't function with less than 7-8 hrs. Of course it serves a dual-function. It simultaneously recharges my brain and gives me an excuse to be anti-social when there's a party two doors down.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

h4wt_b3t4

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +115/-17
  • Not an FBI agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: June 16, 2010, 02:19:43 PM »

Four hours is fine with me.

Also, I still do not have a job to bitch about :P
Clear_Runway: i'm not a fothermucker. i'm a buck futter.

ivan: No one really needs to beg to differ. Just go ahead and differ. In fact, I beg you to differ without begging.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #780 on: June 16, 2010, 03:21:38 PM »

I'd sleep 23 hours a day if I could get away with it.  I love sleep.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: June 16, 2010, 03:29:07 PM »

I love sleep. Sleep does not like me. Especially when I'm stressed. Mediation helps some. Lately, not so much. I'm working on 34 hours up now.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: June 16, 2010, 03:32:42 PM »

picsplzkthx!

If you have trouble sleeping you can try melatonin.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 16, 2010, 04:51:23 PM »

... they also help at other things  :wink: but I can't mention them, too inappropriate.

Ya know, we do have a section here for things like that . . 8-)
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: June 16, 2010, 06:28:16 PM »

I'd sleep 23 hours a day if I could get away with it.  I love sleep.

Then you must be one hell of a sex machine!

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: June 21, 2010, 09:19:42 AM »

There's nothing quite like having someone else's stress filter down to you. I love office work.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 14, 2010, 07:13:19 PM »

I love having to import legacy DTS jobs, convert them to SSIS format then hand create agent jobs to run them then spend seven hours figuring out why the fucking things won't run. SQL upgrading is EASY!
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 14, 2010, 08:49:53 PM »

I love having to import legacy DTS jobs, convert them to SSIS format then hand create agent jobs to run them then spend seven hours figuring out why the fucking things won't run. SQL upgrading is EASY!

I went through that 2 years ago.

What's worse is SSIS is 10 times more finicky and half as intuitive as DTS, so it doesn't get easier after the transition.

SSIS is a giant time sink. These days, instead of making a new SSIS package, I write a console app in VBNET.

If you run into any perplexing issues, run it by me -- I may have been through it and solved it.

Although some things are unsolvable, like for instance certain encodings just don't work. I have to scrub some text files with vb scripts or SSIS explodes and dies with a whimper.

One important tip: If you have a job flow with anything more than 3 connected boxes, and you need to copy them or move them, do NOT copy/paste. Because what you expect to achieve (a copy of the original layout) is not achieved. Just for laughs, connect like 5 or 6 job steps in a nice, aesthetic job flow, then copy/paste them to another frame. The first time I did that I think I cried.

This post was much longer and angrier a moment ago.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #788 on: July 17, 2010, 11:46:17 AM »

Time for a rant.

I've bitched about my last job (a company at which my stint was only 8 months) recently in this thread.  And yesterday in the Shoutbox.

This is actually just a small summary of how fucked up it was to work for Kaltec of Minnesota.

• When I started, the mouse that was attached to my workstation was a two button ball mouse. No mousewheel. And it barely worked. I couldn't find another mouse in the company that I could use.  They wouldn't buy a mouse so that I could use one less than 10 years old.  I spent my own money and bought my own modern mouse to use at work
  • Like the mouse, my keyboard was barely functional. The spacebar routinely stuck.  Not to mention, the PS2 keyboard port on my workstation was flaky and had to have a piece of tape holding the keyboard in to make a good connection. Despite my best efforts, I was unable to fix the keyboard or the port. I finally hijacked one of only two USB keyboards in the company to use.  My boss later yelled at me because I took it from a server (where you don't need a keyboard very often; it's a server, not a workstation).
  • My workstation was at least 6 years old.  It was a Pentium 4, single core, slow processor.  It had 512 MB of RAM when I got there.  They wouldn't buy me RAM. I scavenged sticks out of other machines in the building until I had enough to make the machine at least quasi-usable.
  • My job was "Managed Network Administrator", meaning I provided remote support for workstations, servers, and client networks.  All of our clients. I was the only technical person working for this "company". Meaning I spent a lot of time on the phone. They refused to buy me a headset. That's right.  They expected me to spend hours on the phone, using a hand-held receiver. I spent the $70 or so and bought myself a phone headset to use.
  • One of the first things my boss had me do when I started was set up a forwarding rule in our phone system to forward calls from my desk phone to my personal cell phone for any time I was away from my desk. Since I was also the only on-call person, that meant any after hours calls came to my personal cell phone, and I was expected to answer and respond to them. I asked repeatedly for compensation for this and was never given an answer. I also asked repeatedly for a company phone, since they wouldn't give me an answer about compensation.  They never gave me an answer for that either. So I paid for my personal cell phone use for work out of my own pocket.  This included data.  My boss also made me set up email forwarding from my Exchange account to my phone.
  • Some of you may remember my Sarcastic Jerk's Guide To Managing Technical People. It probably bears reading if you don't.  That was written about my boss at Kaltec.  And it's 100% true.
  • As a regular part of my job I was expected to go on-site to client locations to handle issues that couldn't be handled remotely.  I was expected to drive my personal car for this purpose.  The company's policy was to reimburse for mileage.  I dutifully recorded my mileage and submitted my expense reports for same.  No reimbursement.  Finally, after continually bitching to them about it for six months, I got my first mileage reimbursement.  After that I stopped keeping track, because it was too much effort.  I decided I'd just claim my mileage after that point on my taxes because it was easier to deal with the IRS.
  • No health benefits
  • No 401K or any other retirement benefits
  • I received a "generous" 8 days of paid time off per calendar year in addition to the 5 recognized paid holidays.  That 8 days of PTO was sick time and vacation time rolled together.  Yes.  Seriously.
  • The company used a photograph of me on the main page of the company's website without my consent
  • The Move: The company's building (which the company was only renting) got bought out from under us. When I asked what the ramifications were, I was told that they were negotiating with the new owners to keep our office space.  Then I was told a couple of weeks later that we were "possibly moving".

Then, suddenly, without warning, I was CC'd on an email to a client that we were moving on May 7th and that the client should expect "some down time" that afternoon.  Needless to say I was a bit surprised.  This email was sent in the last week of April.

To put this into perspective, I was the only technical person at this company. I was the internal network admin in addition to supporting ALL of our clients.  We had a small data center.  Moving the office was not something we could just do impulsively, or without my involvement.  I had to find out in an email sent to a client that A) We were in fact moving, and B) That it was on May 7th.

Needless to say, I pointed out to my boss "I'm off on the 7th. I put in for that day off over a month ago. My wife and I are going out of town, and we won't be changing our plans."

The move date was changed to May 14th.  

I asked repeatedly, verbally and via email what he wanted me to do in preparation for this, and was given nothing.  I didn't even find out for sure where we were moving until the week of the 14th.

So I didn't really do anything to prepare.  I was given no directives.  I therefore assumed that he had everything in hand.

On the 14th, I moved my stuff from my office to our new location, after still receiving no direction.  Then at a quarter to 5:00 I asked my boss "So... when are we going to be moving the data center?  Next week or something?"

He looked at me incredulously and said "No.  We're going to be starting in about an hour or so."

I then let him know that since it was almost 5:00 on a Friday, I would be leaving in about ten minutes, so that seemed to be an odd time to move the data center.  He told me I was expected to stay until it was done.

I said "I have no problems staying late to do things like this.  But you have to let me know more than 10 minutes in advance of that.  I have plans tonight.  And you didn't tell me you expected me to stay late, much less long enough to move our entire data center tonight."

He then tried bullshitting about how he had to do all the move planning himself because I didn't do any of it.  When I pointed out that he didn't even tell me we were moving except in that first email to a client, he didn't seem to think that was a problem.

So I left at 5:00.  "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."  The following Monday, I was disciplined for not staying late for the move.  The move I wasn't told about, or included in the planning of.
  • I found out through a third party that the company was hiring a "network administrator".  Considering that they were trying desperately to find a way to continue to pay my own salary (the company had been operating in the red since about March), I assumed (correctly) that this "network administrator" they were looking for was a replacement, not an "additional position".  I was not told about this, of course.  It was presented to me as an additional position, and I would be expected to train this new person in before I was laid off.

Not surprisingly, I elected not to stick around and train my replacement when it was clear that they were only going to fuck me for it.  I turned in my letter of resignation "effective immediately" the day I found out about that and my boss confirmed it, and packed up my shit and left.

Minnesota has a statute regarding unemployment benefits, statute section 268.095, which states:

... an applicant who quits employment may be eligible for unemployment benefits, but only if the reason for quitting was one of the following: 1) Quit for a good reason caused by the employer that would make the average, reasonable worker quit and become unemployed....

I immediately applied for unemployment benefits documenting the things I just listed as my "good reason".

Today I got a "go fuck yourself" letter from the Minnesota Unemployment department, saying that "the evidence does not prove that the reasons were so compelling that the applicant had a good reason to quit caused by the employer".

I guess I don't know what constitutes "a good reason" then.  I don't know very many people that would have stayed working at that company for more than 5 or 6 weeks.  I stayed and put up with that bullshit for 8 months.

I guess the joke's on me.  :roll:

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #789 on: July 17, 2010, 11:50:11 AM »

Oh yeah, for those who might be curious.

When I left I took the equipment for which I paid with my own money with me.  I also told them that they had three days to remove my photo from the company website (like I had asked nicely about before) or else I would take legal action.

It was off the website before the end of that day.

I also sent them an invoice for the use of my personal cell phone for client calls and data/emails for 8 months.  They haven't paid that yet.  But hey, I've given them my standard 30 days to pay it in full, like I normally do on invoices to my freelance clients.

And if they don't pay, I'll start collections proceedings on them.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: July 17, 2010, 01:25:42 PM »

... because it was easier to deal with the IRS.

That's really all you needed to say.

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #791 on: July 17, 2010, 01:26:48 PM »

That's really all you needed to say.

Well you could have let me know that BEFORE I did all that typing.   :x

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: July 17, 2010, 01:31:36 PM »

Well you could have let me know that BEFORE I did all that typing.   :x

I actually meant that's all you had to say to the MN Unemployment dept.

But I'm probably wrong about that.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: July 19, 2010, 01:03:59 PM »

Appeal the UI and try to go before an administrative law judge.  Companies almost always contest UI to save money.  The people who accept it on the first shot are just SOL, the ones who appeal receive the UI.  I've appealed twice and won twice.  YMMV though as my experience was in CA and you're in MN.

I'd also suggest speaking with your state OSHA about the headset, and your state DOL about requiring you to use personal mobile devices for work without compensation.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #794 on: July 19, 2010, 03:58:24 PM »

You people are lucky I don't do steroids.

Are you really going to write a paragraph long email about your "horrible" experience at the restaurant last night after you trash the place? You arrogant fucks. I am there working on a piece of equipment and you can clearly see that because I am in plain clothes, but then stop to help the rest of the crew because you and your faggot friends all wanted ice cream which you couldn't get because that was the machine I was working on. Instead you all wanted smoothies (Which, might I add - is a drink only gays get on their own accord) and then when I'm done helping your group I go to use the bathroom. Upon coming out you decide to antagonize me by saying "duhhh duurrrr". You are lucky it was apparent that I worked there. If I had not, I would have broken your fucking jaw off and then body slammed you through a table. And no, I wouldn't have just let you free fall through the table, I would have followed you all the way to the ground with all 200 pounds of my body weight to make sure you were down for good. That probably would teach you not to fuck with people. But on second thought, your mommy and daddy were driving around an Escalade, so of course you think the world should be given to you. Chances are you wouldn't have learned your lesson, you just would have learned to not fuck with me, which is fine by me, but next time they might not let things slide. They might really put their fist through your mouth, or even worse pull a gun on you because there are crazy people out there. So moral of this story: Had it not been clear I was working there or it wasn't where I worked, this would have went down differently. I don't fuck with people when I go out in public unless they go out of their way to fuck with me. Did I go out of my way to fuck with you? No. If I find out where you work, watch out.

Oh, and really, who the fuck complains about what news channel is being broadcast in a business? Really? Do you have that much fucking time on your hands that you can complain about something like that? Fuck off. You people need something to do with your time.

It's ok though, I'll be picturing all of you when I go for that 500 pound deadlift attempt - I'll just try and visualize myself ripping your arms off your body as I step on your torso and them slamming them back down to the ground when the lift is complete. Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 04:04:57 PM by Chris »

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: July 19, 2010, 04:04:22 PM »

So now you have a nice email list to sign up for every conceivable spam service.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: July 20, 2010, 06:06:21 AM »

I like smoothies.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 20, 2010, 11:00:53 AM »

Fuck it. Fuck this cubicle job. I'll go back to waiting tables.
My letter is prepared in case I need to do a "effective immediately", but I'll wait (if I can), until the end of the pay period to hand it in.
I'm done. I'd rather scrape pocket change of off dirty plates than continue doing this shit.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: July 20, 2010, 11:22:56 AM »

Fuck it. Fuck this cubicle job. I'll go back to waiting tables.
My letter is prepared in case I need to do a "effective immediately", but I'll wait (if I can), until the end of the pay period to hand it in.
I'm done. I'd rather scrape pocket change of off dirty plates than continue doing this shit.

Aw, but you'll miss the fun part! You know, the part when you're finally ground down, when every last spark of creativity and individuality is snuffed out, when your visceral hatred of the cubicle life gradually dulls to a slow simmering resentment, which in turn is sublimated into a deep, dark, subconscious hatred for all people, forever ruining any relationship or hope of happiness in your life until one day you snap and take with you as many as are unlucky to be in the path of your swinging machete. That part.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #799 on: July 20, 2010, 11:36:35 AM »

Aw, but you'll miss the fun part! You know, the part when you're finally ground down, when every last spark of creativity and individuality is snuffed out, when your visceral hatred of the cubicle life gradually dulls to a slow simmering resentment, which in turn is sublimated into a deep, dark, subconscious hatred for all people, forever ruining any relationship or hope of happiness in your life until one day you snap and take with you as many as are unlucky to be in the path of your swinging machete. That part.

This.  ^^

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36