The Geek Forum

• May 08, 2024, 10:53:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 129
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Author Topic: God's Will???  (Read 34033 times)

12AX7

Re: God's Will???
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2007, 12:31:50 PM »

Well, it wouldn't be practical unless it had a 100% (and fast) conversion rate. Apart from one or two quotes, Jesus seems like a pretty damn on the ball dude who was many years in advance of his time (probably still in advance of many people today in my opinion), and aside from not believing in his dad I'd say that a lot of what he taught is present in the way I comport myself. Jehovah is a psycho, no buts about it. There are dozens of sites giving quotes (taken out of context yes, but that doesn't really help Him in most cases) that support claims to his barbarism and sadism and I need not regale you with copy/pastes here. The point is, He must have really gotten his act together after He had a son. I mean, let's say that the Old Testament is basically a chronical of His early adventures, his college years if you will. He's tailgating on weekends, blowing up cities, what have you, he's living it the Hell up! But then in the sequel, he's obviously settled down a bit and HOLY SHIT, his son is a HIPPIE!

Jesus is everything that Jehovah isn't. He hangs out with bums, hookers and tax collectors in direct conflict with the elders of the day. He promotes non-violence and being nice to everybody. He's a do-unto-others kinda guy, while His Skydaddy has nothing but contempt for all who have a slightly different opinion on things than he does.

There should be a thread about Pacifism actually. Crap, I'm SOCing...sorry guys, I forgot where I was going with this...hopefully I already made a point of some sort.

:-D This was great! +1

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2007, 12:34:03 PM »

he's obviously settled down a bit and HOLY SHIT, his son is a HIPPIE!

Ha-ha!

Son, are you even looking for a job? And how about a haircut, eh?
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

RelandR

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +91/-4
  • This portion of the page intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2007, 12:35:23 PM »

Indeed ... Point taken ...  and you gave me a +10 laugh, I guess I can pay in installments.

Paladin

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2007, 12:54:24 PM »

Yeah, maybe Jesus was a hippie, but his followers, like most of the hippies, had enough love&non-violence after a few (hundreds) years, and started joining what was the equivalent of Wall-Street corporations in those days, starting to screw the hookers, drive the hobos out of the neighborhood etc. Hence the organised religion of today.

And it's true what Ivan said:
Real Christianity, the way Christ meant it, is not very compatible with everyday life.

This i really can't understand: How can that many people think of themselves as true cristians but have a job where they - let's not take the army, let's try a company that makes money by not paying as many say insurance damages ( or worse medical bills ) as it can get away with -  scrue other people (usualy poor and not able to stand up for themselves) for a living. They could easily try another job/ business with less moral problems, but they don't even see a moral problem in that.

*fixed, sorry*
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 01:08:19 PM by Paladin »
"...And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth."

Eric Idle

RelandR

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2007, 01:03:19 PM »

.... And it's true what RelandR said: ....

..actually, that was Ivans' quote.

However I thought it, so telepathically speaking ... nevermind.

*Edit: due to fix, this post has no point.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 01:21:41 PM by RelandR »

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2007, 01:18:44 PM »

Yeah, maybe Jesus was a hippie, but his followers, like most of the hippies, had enough love&non-violence after a few (hundreds) years, and started joining what was the equivalent of Wall-Street corporations in those days, starting to screw the hookers, drive the hobos out of the neighborhood etc. Hence the organised religion of today.

And it's true what Ivan said:
This i really can't understand: How can that many people think of themselves as true cristians but have a job where they - let's not take the army, let's try a company that makes money by not paying as many say insurance damages ( or worse medical bills ) as it can get away with -  scrue other people (usualy poor and not able to stand up for themselves) for a living. They could easily try another job/ business with less moral problems, but they don't even see a moral problem in that.

*fixed, sorry*

There's a Subgenius quote that says something along the lines of 'We've got nothing against Jesus, just his fan club'.
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

d_money

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +11/-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2007, 03:06:22 PM »

Moral of the story is Jesus was a hippy who was hooked on wine and liked the spread the love.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2007, 03:13:52 PM »

Moral of the story is Jesus was a hippy who was hooked on wine and liked the spread the love.

I'm more like Jesus than I ever imagined.  :-o
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Rico

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +24/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2007, 04:32:35 PM »

Wow.  Some one asks a question and I try to help answer it and get flamed.  I like how so many folks just flamed away and never even attempted to think about what I said.  YES you can believe in God and believe in Science.  Many great scientific achievements of the middle ages came from the Islamic State.  I can believe there is a perfectly logical and scientific reason for any miracle in the Bible and still believe it's a miracle.  Belief in God does not mean put your head in the sand and ignore logic.  I will grant you that there are plenty of Christian(OR OTHER God believers) that do just that, but there are extremist in any pool of people.  Yes, I know it was asked of religion in general, but the folks in question are Christian I believe.  What does it matter anyway?  Christianity is a religion and was just as good of one as any other to answer the question.  Most of you aren't even bothering to pretend to be rational about the whole subject, just read and flame away.

Yes, Christians can be against abortion and still believe in the death penalty, fight in wars, and do anyone of probably several other things that might take a human life.  Some of you guys act like there couldn't be any possible difference.  Yes there are always the bad examples in the group, but I like how religion is the only group where it's okay to judge the whole by the actions of a few.  If I said that black folks were all lazy and on welfare, I'd be slammed for being racist.  If I said that all environmentalists were psychos that blew up buildings and equipment to save some random bird, people would be all over me for being inflamitory.  But it's perfectly okay to scream that Muslims will kill us all because Islam is the religion of hate.  There's no problem with screaming the inconsistancies of Christianity and how all Christians couldn't possibly believe in God and Science at the same time.  You people are absolutely disgusting.  You talk and talk about how unaccepting Christians are, and then you pull crap like this.  Here before you stands a Christian that beats your neat little sterotype.  Homosexuality?  I couldn't care less.  Don't want to pray?  Doesn't bother me any.

Yeah, and you'll read this.  You'll get all indignant and flame me again.  You'll never concider the complete hypocrasy of what you're saying.  Oh!  Here's a great example for you.  How many folks here would( and HAVE!) slammed some one for using words like "nigger" or "fag?"  Both words I detest as well!  But how many of you slamming me now have constantly used the phrase, "God damn it," without even concidering if there might be a Christian in the area?

Someone needs to point me to the bible passages that state that abortion is a sin.  To my memory (and my memory could very well be flawed), the bible has people being punished to death for a wide variety of infractions.  When it comes to abortion, I seem to recall something about "if a man causes a woman to lose the child she carries he shall make a remittance to her spouse of <insert types and quanitites of animals here>".  A fine?  That's it?  You can get stoned to death for cutting your hair, but causing a woman to abort gets you a fine.  If I'm not remembering that correctly, by all means, someone let me know.

Thou shalt not kill. - Exodus 20:13

I don't remember reading the verse you're talking about.  Maybe it's there, but I can't remember ever seeing it.  If it IS there, I doubt it's refering to abortion.  More likely to working the woman so hard she looses the child or forcing her to travel or something.
Magnus frater spectat te - Big Brother is watching you

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2007, 04:36:56 PM »

Yeah, and you'll read this.  You'll get all indignant and flame me again.  You'll never concider the complete hypocrasy of what you're saying.  Oh!  Here's a great example for you.  How many folks here would( and HAVE!) slammed some one for using words like "nigger" or "fag?"  Both words I detest as well!  But how many of you slamming me now have constantly used the phrase, "God damn it," without even concidering if there might be a Christian in the area?

Hit & run replies ITT:

Both nigger and fag have this huge unfortunate social history of discrimination attached to them, and anyone who's suggesting that God's name invoked in such a way is comparable is sporting a bit of a martyr complex.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2007, 04:48:41 PM »

Oh!  Here's a great example for you.  How many folks here would( and HAVE!) slammed some one for using words like "nigger" or "fag?"  Both words I detest as well!  But how many of you slamming me now have constantly used the phrase, "God damn it," without even concidering if there might be a Christian in the area?

God damn it, how do you know I mean the Christian God? When I call for "God" to damn something, I'm in fact referring to Asaruludu, Wielder of the Flaming Sword, overseer of the Race of Watchers at the bidding of the Elder Gods. You're assuming, and we all know what that does to both you and me.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2007, 04:50:41 PM »

Science Damn It!

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2007, 04:51:35 PM »

Wow.  Some one asks a question and I try to help answer it and get flamed.  I like how so many folks just flamed away and never even attempted to think about what I said.  YES you can believe in God and believe in Science.  Many great scientific achievements of the middle ages came from the Islamic State.  I can believe there is a perfectly logical and scientific reason for any miracle in the Bible and still believe it's a miracle.  Belief in God does not mean put your head in the sand and ignore logic.  I will grant you that there are plenty of Christian(OR OTHER God believers) that do just that, but there are extremist in any pool of people.  Yes, I know it was asked of religion in general, but the folks in question are Christian I believe.  What does it matter anyway?  Christianity is a religion and was just as good of one as any other to answer the question.  Most of you aren't even bothering to pretend to be rational about the whole subject, just read and flame away.

Yes, Christians can be against abortion and still believe in the death penalty, fight in wars, and do anyone of probably several other things that might take a human life.  Some of you guys act like there couldn't be any possible difference.  Yes there are always the bad examples in the group, but I like how religion is the only group where it's okay to judge the whole by the actions of a few.  If I said that black folks were all lazy and on welfare, I'd be slammed for being racist.  If I said that all environmentalists were psychos that blew up buildings and equipment to save some random bird, people would be all over me for being inflamitory.  But it's perfectly okay to scream that Muslims will kill us all because Islam is the religion of hate.  There's no problem with screaming the inconsistancies of Christianity and how all Christians couldn't possibly believe in God and Science at the same time.  You people are absolutely disgusting.  You talk and talk about how unaccepting Christians are, and then you pull crap like this.  Here before you stands a Christian that beats your neat little sterotype.  Homosexuality?  I couldn't care less.  Don't want to pray?  Doesn't bother me any.

Thou shalt not kill. - Exodus 20:13

I don't remember reading the verse you're talking about.  Maybe it's there, but I can't remember ever seeing it.  If it IS there, I doubt it's refering to abortion.  More likely to working the woman so hard she looses the child or forcing her to travel or something.

Whoa... dude.

Edit: OK, I just skimmed the thread again, and I still can't find where anyone flamed you.

Who flamed you?

« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 04:57:43 PM by ivan »
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2007, 05:11:58 PM »

Whoa... dude.

Edit: OK, I just skimmed the thread again, and I still can't find where anyone flamed you.

Who flamed you?

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm wondering as well.

But it's perfectly okay to scream that Muslims will kill us all because Islam is the religion of hate.

What? If I said anything like this, I'd be branded a racistnazisexisthomophobebigot in a heartbeat.

Rico, I really enjoy your posts, I seriously do. But I need to wonder if your last bit was really directed at your view of the users of this forum or of society as a whole.

Science Damn It!

It's poetry in motion...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 05:18:41 PM by xolik »

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2007, 06:23:13 PM »

To ignore the old testament and only using the new testament is like ignoring the left eye and only using your right eye.

If it's the word of God, you can't simply ignore the parts you don't like. Otherwise, why treat it as anything other than a regular book. (Open for debate and discussion.)
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

RelandR

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2007, 06:46:07 PM »

Well golly gee willickers Rico,

(This is NOT flamage by the way)

In the first place your first post was a bit strong and defensive in that you thought "everyone" was slamming Christians and saying that they could not believe in God and Science simultaneously.

Fact is, near as I can tell no one said anything like that. What was said was closer to [posters] not being able to comprehend why so many Christians claim / deny the values of Science to whichever way it suits their particular position.

No slamming of Christian people, but rather a lot of hard questions (and some ribbing) about the belief structure.

Rico

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +24/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2007, 06:48:13 PM »

Whoa... dude.

Who flamed you?

No, sorry.  That's not what I meant.  I just woke up, so it might have come out wrong.  It was meant to be in general and not really specific.  I think it was comments like:

Also, you dont have to go any further than the Bible to find those glaring contradictions. It is a sin to kill someone; but it's ok to put them to death for, say, adultery.

That set me off.  Sorry, 12.  That may not have been meant to be snide, but it was read that way by a freshly 'wakened mind, so I may have taken it wrong.

What I meant to say was that so many people continue to poke fun of and tease the Christian population.  I'll try to read it when I get home and rephrase, or after I wake up at least.
Magnus frater spectat te - Big Brother is watching you

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2007, 07:19:53 PM »

To ignore the old testament and only using the new testament is like ignoring the left eye and only using your right eye.

Not quite, to me at least. The OT is great as a historical document. When it comes to the laws and rules, however, normal people couldn't possibly be expected to keep every law. And you're not supposed to anyways. Many of the laws and regulations were given out only to certain people\tribes\locations and simply don't apply to modern man. It's not a matter of 'pick and choose' but rather 'does this actually apply to me?'

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

12AX7

« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2007, 09:27:15 PM »

I think it was comments like:

Also, you dont have to go any further than the Bible to find those glaring contradictions. It is a sin to kill someone; but it's ok to put them to death for, say, adultery.

That set me off.  Sorry, 12.  That may not have been meant to be snide, but it was read that way by a freshly 'wakened mind, so I may have taken it wrong.

What I meant to say was that so many people continue to poke fun of and tease the Christian population.  I'll try to read it when I get home and rephrase, or after I wake up at least.

No, wasn't snideness at all.

The conversation in separate posts:
Rico is right. To a religious person, it is not a sin to help bring life to the world, and so any such action could be seen as God's will. But it is, however, a sin to end one.

You don't have to go any further than the death penalty debate to see the most glaring contradiction in modern Christianity.

However, those contradictions are not part of these people's arguments. They might even be against the death penalty, and may regret the millions of murders committed in the name of the Christian and Muslim gods.

That's why I presented the opportunity for clarification. You did mean Christian, right?
 There seem to be two different lines of communication going on; some of us are equating
 "religious" with "Christian", and others (ok; maybe just me) are equating "religious" with "religious".

Now in CONTEXT...

Rico is right. To a religious person, it is not a sin to help bring life to the world, and so any such action could be seen as God's will. But it is, however, a sin to end one.

You don't have to go any further than the death penalty debate to see the most glaring contradiction in modern Christianity.

However, those contradictions are not part of these people's arguments.

That's why I presented the opportunity for clarification. You did mean Christian, right?
 There seem to be two different lines of communication going on; some of us are equating
 "religious" with "Christian", and others (ok; maybe just me) are equating "religious" with "religious".
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 09:29:29 PM by 12AX7 »

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2007, 09:31:26 PM »

Great, we've established that there was no flaming! Please proceed with the discussion!

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2007, 09:32:21 PM »

The OT is great as a historical document.

Is it really? I thought a great deal of the facts presented in the OT are currently disputed (though to be fair it was written a LONG time ago, by the victors).

12AX7

« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2007, 09:33:18 PM »

Great, we've established that there was no flaming! Please proceed with the discussion!
OMG!! STFU St00b!!!

:-D

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2007, 10:15:36 PM »

Is it really? I thought a great deal of the facts presented in the OT are currently disputed (though to be fair it was written a LONG time ago, by the victors).

I meant it as in the history of where the religious rules and concepts originated from, not like a history text book that you'd find in school.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2007, 12:23:46 AM »

If you were to look at the bible as something akin to "The Republic" or "1984", a philosophical discussion about how we should live our lives and such, I would agree with you Xolik. But the point is that the authority of the text is based upon a higher power, God. My argument is not whether we should consider the OT as applying to another culture/time, but that if you are treating it as the word of God, you can't selectively choose, based upon YOUR OWN opinions, what to accept and what to refuse.

It clearly states in the bible that it is acceptable for people to purchase slaves from their neighbors. First, when should this EVER be morally acceptable? Second, the only two reasons I can see for not applying to us is either A) It's Immoral or B) The danger this was meant to protect us from has, or the reason this law was given to us, has passed.

If the text is meant to be the word of God, and you believe that immorality is a justification for saying a passage does not apply to us, then who are WE, MERE MORTALS, to say that something is IMMORAL, to PICK AND CHOOSE from what HE HAS TOLD US AS THE LAW!

And if you believe that it should be disregarded because the danger has passed, should GOD need to have a justification in the first place? Why can't he just say "Don't do it!" and not give a reason (which happens many times!)? If he does/doesn't give a reason, and we feel the reason (implied or explicitly given) doesn't make sense, what about the fact that GOD is PERFECT, and we MUST be wrong about it being a silly reason? (This is THE VERY REASON WE FOLLOW ANYTHING IN THE BIBLE! Why should we follow an imperfect being?)

And if there really was some danger present, why not just come out and say that "Preparing Shellfish in the desert is a really dangerous proposition, so you shouldn't do it unless you want to die!" instead of "IT'S A SIN!!" It would seem that it is being used as a means to scare someone into following what you believe is the best course of action, when it may not always be the case, not because it is the work of a perfect being.

And that second belief (that the danger has passed) raises another two issues, at least.

1) Besides determining who will decide a danger has passed, how do you deal with someone who believes that a danger has/hasn't passed when it hasn't/has? Does it mean it's up to some higher authority to decide when such a danger has passed?

2) What POSSIBLE danger could require the use of slavery, the subjugation of women, the death of sons/daughters for SWEARING, etc...
Edit: More interestingly, if we cannot come up with a reason, does that mean it MUST still be true?

Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 01:44:05 AM by Crystalmonkey »
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

Paladin

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2007, 02:37:16 AM »

Yup, the words of god are constantly under revision. Here's a new version of the 10 commands (not by me):

Thou shalt always be honest and faithful to the provider of thy nookie.

&

Thou shalt try real hard not to kill anyone, unless of course they pray to a different invisible man than you.

here they are explained: http://www.geocities.com/bobmelzer/gc10cx.html
"...And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth."

Eric Idle
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7