The Geek Forum

• March 28, 2024, 11:07:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129469
  • Total Topics: 7101
  • Online Today: 54
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: We're Back... Here's What I've Been Doing With All My Down Time  (Read 5892 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
We're Back... Here's What I've Been Doing With All My Down Time
« on: December 01, 2016, 05:17:49 PM »

My sources tell me this is Thin Lizzy, who claim the boys are back in town.
My sources tell me this is Thin Lizzy, who claim the boys are back in town.

It's been a very, very long time since I've done anything with any of my web-based stuff. True, I've gotten a lot older (Read: wiser) since I was introduced to the internet at the ripe old age of just 14 and some things that were once important to me just aren't even on my radar anymore. If you're reading this and you're 14 or 15 (Do they even teach kids how to read these days?) this concept might not make sense to you now, but give it another 10/15 years and you will have that magical "ah-ha!" moment when you look back and ask yourself "How did I ever once give two shits about that shit?"

I'll admit, web development was one of those things that kind of went by the wayside. I had (and still have) tons of other stuff going on in my life that really trump (No pun-intended!) developing new web content, not to mention staying on top of the endless software patches that are needed to operate a website/server. Within the last week or so, I have since migrated all of my web content to a much cheaper host and have fixed up the forums so they are now working once again. It's my intention to stay on top of this shit since I am at a much more stable point in my life now than I was over the last several years.

So if you're reading this now and wonder what the hell I'm talking about - I'll give you some background. I registered this domain name back in early 2001 and developed it into what was then known as an E/N website - Everything and Nothing. They were old school "blogs" that weren't run by whiney wine-guzzling-hippies like today's blogs. They were run by down to Earth chill people who just wanted a little slice of the web to their own. And I was one of those people. Back around 2008/2009 I simply had too much stuff going on in my life and could not really afford to dedicate any time to my side projects anymore. Sadly, I just kind of let the place die off. The software/content management systems started to break since they were neglected and that was pretty much the end of it.

That being said, let me bring you up to speed on a few things that attributed to me not having time between 2009 and 2016 to devote myself to my web-ventures.

Work and College

Combined these two things took up the bulk of my time. Looking back at my course load in college and how much I worked, I honestly don't know how I did it. I always took a full course load, and I usually found myself to be working between 60 and 70 hours a week in the restaurant industry as a general manager. So here we are in 2016 and I can now confirm this is a rare thing these days - you know, to work full time and go to college full time. I will say, Bernie Sanders was the closest thing everyone has had to not having to endure juggling work and college courses at the same time. Unless of course you have rich parents who buy you everything. Don't worry though, if you're one of those special snowflakes it might seem awesome to you now and you might try and rub it in your friend's faces, but give it enough time... they are doing you a disservice and you will one day realize this. Let that sink in now.

Lifting Shit

This is kind of what happens when you tear a pec. This is also kind of not me.
This is kind of what happens when you tear a pec. This is also kind of not me.

I'm pretty much the text book definition of a geek. But the one part I do stray from the norm when it comes to traditional geeks is that I like to lift. And I'm not talking about just showing up to the gym for a few minutes to get a few sets in and then leave just so I can tell myself I went to the gym that day. No. I'm talking about power lifting at the competitive level. It might have started out as me just going to the gym for the sake of going to the gym but then some time in 2009/2010 I got into power lifting thanks to a guy I met in college who convinced me to start switching up the way I lifted. I competed about 8 times and placed 6 times out of those 8. In 2015 it was going to be the first time I would compete in the 220lb weight class but I tore my left pectoral 5 days prior to the competition. Surprisingly it did not hurt as much as one would think. I tell people it felt like someone took a bendy straw and pulled it apart so the accordion piece was stretched out. For those of you who MUST have numbers: I was able to squat 450, bench 380, and dead lift 500 right before the injury. I'm still on the road to recovery today.

Life

Last but not least... I've been busy living life. You know, finding the right woman of my dreams, finding a house to move in to, all that fun stuff. So now that I have all of that stuff out of the way, I can not afford to spend a little more time doing side projects such as this. Besides, this is way cheaper than some other hobbies or things I could be doing with my free time. If money ever gets tight, I guess I could always go on Craigslist and find a part time or full time protesting job in my nearby city.

I realize it's a long road ahead for me to get this place kind of running again. I'll work on getting some of my older content migrated over, as well as get the color scheme and theme locked down. I'll try to keep BS posts like this down to a minimum. After all, this was always intended to be a spot for biased and unbalanced news.