The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 06:44:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 140
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Space Exploration: Express Elevator to Hell, Going Down  (Read 7975 times)

Anonymous

Space Exploration: Express Elevator to Hell, Going Down
« on: January 12, 2004, 08:45:44 PM »

http://www.gotthegeek.com/images/chris_avatar.gif" alt="Submitted by Chris" border="0"> Submitted by Chris

Just like I thought it wasn’t possible for people to get anymore retarded than they already are when it comes to such things as common sense, or even breathing, some thought it was impossible for something to make it to another object in space, and orbit it, let alone land on it. Just recently, the super-duper-smart people who probably cheated their way through high school, college, and possibly their marriage, at NASA have proved many assholes and Atheists alike, who thought (And probably still think) landing on the moon was staged and completely fake, wrong again, unless the latest pictures that they took are from the sandbox that I don’t have in my backyard. Come to think of it now, would we really know if they made the whole thing up? I mean, really, with everyone illegally downloading copies of Photoshop, it’s easy for them to simply take a picture of that sandbox that I don’t have in my backyard, and then edit the tinting in Photoshop to give it that reddish hue that every thinks about when it comes to Mars, and maybe the occasional alien or two to get them even more money.

http://www.gotthegeek.com/images/frozen_lake.jpg" alt="Frozen Lake on Venus" border="0">
This image came from a digital camera that I found in my backyard while digging for gas lines that appears to be of a frozen like on Venus. I'm going to be a millionaire!
Believe me, I’ve thought about it before – simply go to some frozen lake by my house, take a picture of it, throw some rocks around the lake in Photoshop, and I could claim that I had found the camera in my backyard while digging in hopes of hitting a gas line for me to tap into to get free gas since like many people, I like to cheat my way through life, with those pictures on it. I would instantly become a millionaire because everyone would believe me. Who wouldn’t believe the internet?! On a side note, someone sent me an email requesting my account number in order to insert “a large amount of funds into it”. I gave them the account number without any questions. The rest is history.

First orbiting Earth in some tin can that they called a capsule, then the moon, then the planets like Venus and Mars. What next? Maybe they’ll design something to go deep into the caves in Afghanistan to actually find bin Laden, who knows. Wait a minute. That’s not space! Sorry. Apparently that doesn’t cost enough money for them to touch upon. Maybe Jupiter will be the next planet to land on, or even Uranus.

“Jupiter!” You think. “What a great idea!”. Yes, that would be a great idea if it was physically possible jackass. One, the planet is entirely made up of gas, and second, even if it was solid, the sheer force of gravity produced by the girth of the planet would crush pretty much anything we send over there in a matter of minutes, not much unlike a fat person stepping on a ketchup packet. (Note: The idea of sending something to land on one of the ‘Gas Giants’ was brought up by some brilliant person that I know.)

The future of space exploration lies in the hands of one man. It’s none other than our fearless leader: George W. Bush. He wants to build a colony on the moon to make the trip to Mars and other planets “easierly”. Not a bad idea, however, his idea is met with some fierce competition ranging from the Israelis who want world domination and also form a colony on the moon, to Microsoft who wants world domination, all of our money and to form a colony on Venus. They have come up with some brilliant ideas to colonize foreign bodies in space, and of course, we here at The Geekery have the scoop on all of it.
http://www.gotthegeek.com/images/microsoft_mars.jpg" alt="Micsoft's Plan For The Future" border="0">
Microsoft: "The future have arrived!!1"
Microsoft
When Bush announced his plans for space exploration within the next decade, Microsoft quickly produced plans for it’s colony on Venus in the popular Windows based program called “Paint”. Their plan calls for 5 shuttles to be launched in different years to reach Venus by the year 2020. During their voyage, Microsoft will have to send the shuttles updates, such as coordinates, how to make the air filtration system actually work, and not to mention how to make the water filtration system work right which really hasn’t been working properly since the mission started. When met with the concern about the temperature reaching ludicrous highs on Venus, a spokesman from Microsoft simply said, “Well, we’re not really concerned about the temperature, it shouldn’t be a problem. You see, while over there, we’ll just have to simply open more Windows to let some air in”. No one has anymore information from Microsoft about their plans because everyone stopped talking to them after his comment.

http://www.gotthegeek.com/images/meteor_shower.jpg" alt="Hell raining down" border="0">
This is not much unlike what the skies will look like if the Israelis colonize the moon and throw rocks toward Earth.
Israel
Israel’s space program suffered a huge hit back in February of 2003 when their first astronaut was killed in the http://www.gotthegeek.com/newspro/static/view.php?file=columbia.txt" target="BLANK">Columbia explosion upon reentry into the Earth’s atmosphere. This hasn’t stopped them from exploring space, not to mention trying to take over the entire Mid East region, and possibly the rest of the world. Sure, there has been a lot of fighting in the Mid East over the past decade or so, but they are set on making a colony on the moon before the United States does. Their plan to build a colony on the moon calls for a rocket to be launched from a shoulder launcher which will dock with the International Space Station, refuel, and make it’s way on to the moon where it will dump a payload of rocks to build the structure. When asked why, their Prime Minister said, “Now we can be above everyone else on Earth all at the same time. Soon enough we will be bringing hell upon you all by throwing rocks at all of you!”

http://www.gotthegeek.com/images/neverland.jpg" alt="Michael Jackson's Personal Colony on Pluto" border="0">
In Michael Jackson's on mind, this is his colony on Pluto. Far from where anyone else in their rights minds would want to be
Michael Jackson
Jackson is reported to want to also use his vast amount of funds for even more “good causes” by getting into the scene of space exploration. His original plan was to land and colonize the gas giant “Uranus”, but his advisors advised him not to, as the planet is a gas giant and cannot be landed on, as well as the name being “rather explicit” when little teen age children say the name. Jackson was then said to want to colonize Pluto, which is not a gas giant. Jackson’s plan includes a theme park on the planet, as well as a shopping mall, a movie theater, a restaurant, as well as any other places young children enjoy to hang out at. When asked why, Michael Jackson replied with, “I think it would be a beautiful thing to take children with me to Pluto on a long voyage. They’d get to escape reality and forget all of their problems for the rest of their lives since the voyage takes so long”.
Sure, some of the ideas may not seem like they will be very sucsessful, but just wait until one day when you're woken up at 7 in the morning by pounding on your roof. No, it's not hail, it's not someone fixing your roof, it's people from the moon throwing rocks at your house.

Just wait until your son goes missing. You won't have to worry about him missing because he's face down in a pond somewhere, rather he's laying face down in Michael Jackson's... Ok, I'll stop there. I don't want to get sued or deported to Pluto, afterall.

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 09:47:57 PM »

Not to mention all the religious zealots (i.e. Bevets) who wet themselves over finding out a space probe named after Darwin's ship (Beagle) failed in its mission....
Doesn't change the fact that the earth revolves around the sun, Steve-O....
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

Law

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +6/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mideastinfo.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 09:32:52 AM »

Whoa. You have a sandbox in your backyard?
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 10:23:37 AM »

I do too.

But the neighborhood cats use it for... stuff.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 11:26:56 AM »

That was me.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 02:25:58 PM »

We have a neighborhood cat that will sneak into our screened porch and eat Bear's food.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 02:28:10 PM »

Quote from: pbsaurus
We have a neighborhood cat that will sneak into our screened porch and eat Bear's food.

Oi, haven't I seen you somewhere before?

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 02:47:20 PM »

Tonight on 'It's the Mind', we examine the phenomenon of déjà vu. That strange feeling we sometimes get that we've lived through something before, that what is happening now has already happened. Tonight on 'It's the Mind' we examine the phenomenon of déjà vu, that strange feeling we sometimes get that we've ...

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2004, 03:11:49 PM »

Quote from: TheJudge
That was me.

You're a cat that lives in my neighborhood?

:?:

I've seen them do it.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 03:18:14 PM »

Quote from: Demosthenes
That was me.

You're a cat that lives in my neighborhood?

:?:

I've seen them do it.

As long as it wasn't one of those squares that live in your neighborhood, I guess...

alexg223

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Space Exploration
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2004, 02:03:01 AM »

After the tradegy of losing the Columbia, and the suspension of all manned space flights. I became worried about the fate of the space program. Now, a man I did not even vote for continues to surprize me. This is the best news involving the space program in years. If we as Americans do not strive to achieve the adverse. Who will? I personally would be quite pleased to know, my tax dollars are going toward the cause of expanding our knowledge of the known universe. Some polls show that many people believe the money would be better spent on education. I feel that these two causes compliment one another. If our nation can help write a new chapter in space exploration. How is that not benifical to the wealth of knowledge all children can aquire? I sincerly hope the president -- if relected -- will not allow this cause to disappear.

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2004, 08:14:39 AM »

Deja vue! The wonders of copy and paste will never cease to amaze me!

Anonymous

Re: Space Exploration
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2004, 09:09:50 AM »

Quote from: alexg223
I sincerly hope the president -- if relected -- will not allow this cause to disappear.

I think he's using it just as a way to distract people. Stuff like this makes me wonder if he had the whole thing planned out when he first came in to office. He knows people will not stand for men and women dying dying for no cause, even after he lied to everyone, so now he needs something to take the spotlight.

Hell, based on his accusations, I don't even know if we should have started the war in the first place.

After he gets out of office he's sure to run like hell. We won't hear from him much again.

Law

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +6/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mideastinfo.com
Re: Space Exploration
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2004, 09:43:56 AM »

Quote from: alexg223
If we as Americans do not strive to achieve the adverse. Who will?

Hopefully no one strives for the adverse, that seems counter-productive. (I think you may have been looking for a different word...)

Quote from: chris
Stuff like this makes me wonder if he had the whole thing planned out when he first came in to office.

Yup. And you have to wonder about the timing. Obviously these plans didn't just suddenly come together. The withdrawal of troops from Iraq scheduled for June (now in jeopardy, but planned all the same), the announcement of amnesty and permits for illegal workers in the US, manned exploration of the Moon and Mars, another disastrous tax cut... All seem remarkably timed to coincide with the ramp up of the Presidential campaign. I know all candidates play politics like this, but I have never seen a sitting President suddenly spew initiatives like Bush has in the last month.
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2004, 02:00:57 PM »

Sending manned missions to Mars is stupid. Probes can extract almost the same amount of information, and far more efficiently. Risking people's lives and spending billions of unnecessary dollars (which could be used for far better things, IMO) seems to be an entirely stupid thing to do.

Maybe when space exploration technology is cheaper and more efficient, this could be viable. Right now, it's a waste of time and resources.

Also, I want people to stay away from my planet.

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2004, 02:34:21 PM »

What about a one-way trip?
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

Anonymous

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2004, 02:43:39 PM »

I agree with Lacreda. There is little point in manned missions except perhaps some sort of bragging rights. Economy, technology and purpose are two factors that will determine when manned missions to mars should be attempted.

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2004, 02:45:42 PM »

But don't you think it would be cheaper and more effective to send it one way?
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

Anonymous

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2004, 02:48:14 PM »

Quote from: Detta
But don't you think it would be cheaper and more effective to send it one way?

It depends on who you send  :wink:

Arn't all the mission to mars one way?

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2004, 06:46:03 PM »

It depends on who you send  :wink:

Arn't all the mission to mars one way?

See, now, that's the thing. When I heard that Bush wanted to do this program, I was all happy at first because I thought he was volunteering. Now I know this to not be the case and I'm bummed out. Perhaps we can send Gov. Ah-nold to Mars since he has the experience from 'Total Recall.'
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-