The Geek Forum

• March 29, 2024, 08:50:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129472
  • Total Topics: 7102
  • Online Today: 64
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Holy shit @ the Stupidity  (Read 3458 times)

• not 11
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +33/-3
    • View Profile
Holy shit @ the Stupidity
« on: October 10, 2011, 03:03:47 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QZlp3eGMNI

and these people go along with this? Wow. Just ..wow.  :|

No wonder we're in such sorry shape.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit @ the Stupidity
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:01:11 PM »

The crowd repeating things is called a "human microphone". In NYC, you need a permit to use a microphone or even a bullhorn, so protesters used this technique to allow speakers to be heard by very large crowds. See paragraph 3: http://blog.voicegig.com/social-issues/naomi-klein-at-occupy-wall-street/. What's unfortunate about this particular group is that the crowd appears to be small, making the human microphone unnecessary and rather silly. But imagine standing at the back of a crowd of thousands, and hearing the speakers words roaring from the front of the crowd.

This video will probably go viral, if it hasn't already, through the conservative blogosphere, because it knocks the movement down a few pegs. Yeah, these kids in Atlanta are a bit silly, and, as Jon Stewart would say, are "not helping".

And yet... There's something brewing. After complaining for almost 40 years that youthful activism died in the 60s, I'm watching this with... interest.

"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

• not 11
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 05:38:11 PM »

The crowd repeating things is called a "human microphone". In NYC, you need a permit to use a microphone or even a bullhorn, so protesters used this technique to allow speakers to be heard by very large crowds. See paragraph 3: http://blog.voicegig.com/social-issues/naomi-klein-at-occupy-wall-street/. What's unfortunate about this particular group is that the crowd appears to be small, making the human microphone unnecessary and rather silly. But imagine standing at the back of a crowd of thousands, and hearing the speakers words roaring from the front of the crowd.

This video will probably go viral, if it hasn't already, through the conservative blogosphere, because it knocks the movement down a few pegs. Yeah, these kids in Atlanta are a bit silly, and, as Jon Stewart would say, are "not helping".

...yeh, that too I suppose. I was looking more at their actions/ideas; while hearing words like 'democracy' and 'the democratic way' being used.

At any rate, I'm a hardcore individualist; so when I see things like this video, all I can hear is
"BAA!..  baa baa baaaah!"
  "BAA!..  baa baa baaah!" *finger waggles*

Then there's the weird wording of things... "THIS IS NOT A VOTE! Im just going to take the temperature of the crowd... "
   That way of talking always puts me on guard. Why can you not flat out say "Vote; up or down - should we let him speak?"
  There's no shame in a vote. But wait - THAT conflicts with the other creedo - "No human being...sorry; Human Being
  is better or worse than any other Human Being!"  ...(how can that be; when you just VOTED NO to letting him speak?)

And yet... There's something brewing. After complaining for almost 40 years that youthful activism died in the 60s, I'm watching this with... interest.

I can agree with that.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 06:06:06 PM »

I can agree with that.

Hopefully there's more to the movement than a bunch of insufferable nudniks arguing over rules of procedure.

But apparently John Lewis was cool with it: http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2011/10/08/4092153-photo-of-the-day-john-lewis-at-occupy-atlanta
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

• not 11
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 06:13:08 PM »

Hopefully there's more to the movement than a bunch of insufferable nudniks arguing over rules of procedure.

Hopefully.

Though, I believe there are too many people inhabiting Earth now to have any real stability anywhere.

• not 11
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile