The Geek Forum

• March 29, 2024, 09:17:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129472
  • Total Topics: 7102
  • Online Today: 64
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Read me, Seymour!  (Read 2673 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
Read me, Seymour!
« on: November 04, 2016, 03:33:19 PM »

So this has been a long time coming, and the day is here. The walls are finally patched, new grass has been planted and flowers are blooming.

No, not really. Shit broke with the server/forum. We're now on a new server (Read: Group of servers, technically) with the latest version of SMF. I'm going to try to keep the add ons to the bare minimal since they tend to break things, anyway.

I landed a new work at home job back in June and have finally gotten back on my feet from getting acclimated to a new work environment. Though I won't name names, I am glad to be working for the best tech company. (No seriously... Forbes ranked them #1) The benefits and perks it has afforded me are amazing.

Bringing the forums back to life (Again - once before in 2014 then shit hit the fan) made me think about the times in the early 2000s when all of us migrated here from HN. It was a much more simple time. Hell, we even got to mock thunder3davis. - This post by Demo really gives a good recount. Then social media hit and it seemed like the place died off and everyone went their separate ways. Now here we are in 2016 and everyone seems to be fed up with social media. Every other post is about politics, a viral video that you saw 10 days ago because you frequent Reddit, someone posing in the mirror for a selfie for the second time today, or maybe it's just another ad they're trying to cram down your throat... you know... based on your recent search history.

I've done some stupid stuff before in the past on here... Like run ads to try to make a few extra dollars. Now I'm a lot wiser and I  realize that there's something to be said about a place like this. No ads, no bots posting junk, no biased reviews of some weird shampoo shit, just a bunch of geeks checking in throughout the day while at work bickering with each other.

So I'm going to keep it that way. No ads, no BS. 

Rico

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +24/-7
    • View Profile
Re: Read me, Seymour!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 03:38:01 PM »

Glad to hear things sorted out for you.

Transition is one of most unexpectedly hard things in life.  =)
Magnus frater spectat te - Big Brother is watching you

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 03:40:09 PM »

Glad to hear things sorted out for you.

Transition is one of most unexpectedly hard things in life.  =)

I could write a BOOK on this past transition. Actually, I might have to wait a year or so for legal reasons.

What is new with you, Rico?

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 09:32:49 PM »

Holy shit, it's Rico!

Holy shit, it's Chris!

HOLY SHIT THE GEEKERY!

OMFGLOL!!1

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 02:42:03 AM »

I'm glad to see teh geekery is still around and kicking!
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 11:41:38 AM »

Holy shit, it's Rico!

Holy shit, it's Chris!

HOLY SHIT THE GEEKERY!

OMFGLOL!!1

Demo! What's going on?

You ever hear from Revka these days?

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 11:43:56 AM »

I'm glad to see teh geekery is still around and kicking!

Got that right! Long time no see! Glad you got the invite!

Rico

• Computer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 04:02:10 PM »

I could write a BOOK on this past transition. Actually, I might have to wait a year or so for legal reasons.

What is new with you, Rico?

Doing well.  Living in San Antonio with the wife and running a company.  Started a foundation to help vets transition this year, and the IRS adjudicated our 501(c)(3) status just about a month ago, so about to start pushing hard on that.  I really enjoy helping vets, so pretty excited about that one.

What's up with you, other than massive transition drama? =)

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 05:59:42 PM »

Demo! What's going on?

You ever hear from Revka these days?

I'm the Support Manager for a growing Managed Services company.  We have 50 offices in 9 states now, and we're in the process of going nationwide.  So it's going well.  Still living in MN, where the company HQ is.  I travel a little bit, mostly to deal with situations that come up from when we acquire other companies.

I haven't heard from Revka for quite a while -- he moved to North Carolina years ago.  He's on Facebook (though I'm not anymore).

Doing well.  Living in San Antonio with the wife and running a company.  Started a foundation to help vets transition this year, and the IRS adjudicated our 501(c)(3) status just about a month ago, so about to start pushing hard on that.  I really enjoy helping vets, so pretty excited about that one.

Wow, getting 501(c)(3) status is a big deal!  Congratulations!  Good cause, too!

What kind of company are you and the wife running?

Rico

• Computer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 09:06:20 PM »

Wow, getting 501(c)(3) status is a big deal!  Congratulations!  Good cause, too!

Thanks!  I'm pretty proud of it.  Just got off the phone with Lockheed Martin, and they're saying they'll budget support in FY17 for us, so it's spinning up nicely.  If you know anyone in Texas who's needing transition support, send them our way.  We're still in the implementation stage, but won't turn anyone away that needs help.  http://www.conop.us

Our company does defense contracting,  IT/Cyber/Intel type stuff for the DoD.  Though, I helped author an economic policy paper for San Antonio, and one of the cyber security related recommendations was to start an open data initiative for the city.  The mayor seems pretty stoked for the idea and says she'll put some of the bond money we're voting on next week towards it.   I'm writing a proposal for that right now and hoping to add city work to our portfolio through that.

What sort of managed services do you guys handle?  Anything in SA?  If so, I'll try to throw some business your way if I get a chance.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 09:11:29 PM »

Managed IT, managed voice, managed print services, managed AV (boardroom, security, telepresence), Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Desktop as a Service (DaaS), and we're working on Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS) as an offering very soon.

Right now our footprint is only in the upper midwest.  We're in MN, ND, SD, IA, NE, WI, IL, MT, and MO.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 09:13:59 PM by Demosthenes »

Rico

• Computer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 07:45:02 AM »

Managed IT, managed voice, managed print services, managed AV (boardroom, security, telepresence), Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Desktop as a Service (DaaS), and we're working on Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS) as an offering very soon.

Right now our footprint is only in the upper midwest.  We're in MN, ND, SD, IA, NE, WI, IL, MT, and MO.

Ah, that's cool.  I met with a State Department guy a couple weeks ago who did disaster recovery for them.  He's looking to move to SA, so I'm hoping to find a way to plug him into our open data thing.  I never thought about it as a service, before.  I guess that's kind of what those remote backup applications are doing, so it's got to be a pretty effective model for enterprise-level, as well.

Well, if you guys ever move this direction, let me know.  I'm in the Chamber of Commerce, and I can make sure you start off with some great contacts.  San Antonio's tech community is really surging, and the city is actively recruiting new business in that industry.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 09:21:23 AM »

What's up with you, other than massive transition drama? =)

That's awesome! Not going to lie... when you mentioned San Antonio (Texas) and Vets in the same post I thought of the movie American Sniper. That movie hit me right in the feels... so yea... I'm glad to hear this! Not a vet myself but it really bothers me hearing that when they come home they have such problems getting jobs, seeking medical attention, and just generally getting back on their feet. Weird Tingly Feeling, Uncle Sam? This should be a no brainer.

As for me, just got a new place with the girlfriend a month ago about 30 miles west of Philly, I've some how turned into a big motor head over the years, and am still rehabbing a torn pectoral muscle from a little over a year ago. Oh, and I'm still regretting the choice I made back in 2008 where I switched majors from computer science to business management. I swear, I've forgotten more than most people ever knew about computers/programming/geek stuff. Such is life though... you live, you learn. I often contemplate taking online courses to get my BS in computer science and fulfill my destiny.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 10:14:53 AM »

I often contemplate taking online courses to get my BS in computer science and fulfill my destiny.

Rico

• Computer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 11:04:49 AM »

That's awesome! Not going to lie... when you mentioned San Antonio (Texas) and Vets in the same post I thought of the movie American Sniper. That movie hit me right in the feels... so yea... I'm glad to hear this! Not a vet myself but it really bothers me hearing that when they come home they have such problems getting jobs, seeking medical attention, and just generally getting back on their feet. Weird Tingly Feeling, Uncle Sam? This should be a no brainer.

As for me, just got a new place with the girlfriend a month ago about 30 miles west of Philly, I've some how turned into a big motor head over the years, and am still rehabbing a torn pectoral muscle from a little over a year ago. Oh, and I'm still regretting the choice I made back in 2008 where I switched majors from computer science to business management. I swear, I've forgotten more than most people ever knew about computers/programming/geek stuff. Such is life though... you live, you learn. I often contemplate taking online courses to get my BS in computer science and fulfill my destiny.

You know, I've never had anything other than a motorcycle since high school, and then I bought a Camaro last summer.  I never gave two craps about cars before, but Misty and I have spent so much time driving through the hill country since that I've changed a bit on the subject.

Being a nerd who DOESN'T have the business education, my regret is the other way around these days.  There's so much I'm just stumbling through because I don't know what I'm doing.  I've been auditing some classes, though.  That's moving the needle. 

You know, a guy with tech skills and a business education, that seems like a combination that ought to be really marketable.  I could see that being really valuable in a startup environment, or maybe as a CTO or CIO type position.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 03:36:45 PM »

I'm the Support Manager for a growing Managed Services company.  We have 50 offices in 9 states now, and we're in the process of going nationwide.  So it's going well.  Still living in MN, where the company HQ is.  I travel a little bit, mostly to deal with situations that come up from when we acquire other companies.

I haven't heard from Revka for quite a while -- he moved to North Carolina years ago.  He's on Facebook (though I'm not anymore).

Managed services is where it's at nowadays. I remember back in the early 2000s there was a big push towards thin computing and then it suddenly died off once the whole netbook craze hit, followed soon after by the iPhone explosion in which Apple cleverly got people into liking what they had previously shunned away from: cloud computing. Funny how we've come full circle in about 1.5 decades.

I hear you on Facebook... I still have an account and will check up on it, but more so to see what's going on with my friends rather than to proclaim to the world that I've taken another perfect selfie.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 03:43:52 PM »

You know, I've never had anything other than a motorcycle since high school, and then I bought a Camaro last summer.  I never gave two craps about cars before, but Misty and I have spent so much time driving through the hill country since that I've changed a bit on the subject.

Being a nerd who DOESN'T have the business education, my regret is the other way around these days.  There's so much I'm just stumbling through because I don't know what I'm doing.  I've been auditing some classes, though.  That's moving the needle. 

You know, a guy with tech skills and a business education, that seems like a combination that ought to be really marketable.  I could see that being really valuable in a startup environment, or maybe as a CTO or CIO type position.

Funny you mention Camaro... my neighbor has what appears to be a 2014 Camaro and he's completely OBSESSED with the thing. Washes it at least once a week, if he drives it in the rain he will rinse it off before putting it back in the garage, and I'm convinced he's put straight pipes on it even though it's a V6... that's dedication if you ask me.

Sadly, I got into the German performance side of things, so I'm thinking him and I are rivals (which is probably why he hasn't said a word to me yet after a month!). I'm currently rocking an S6 as my daily, and an M6 for weekends and general "fun".

It's tough to market my tech skills because I don't have anything to really show for it. I really didn't think it though. Had I at least landed one or two tech jobs and THEN switched majors I could have potentially made it work. But instead I worked in the fast food industry for way too long (13 years!) and then jumped ship and worked in software sales for 2 years and then jumped that ship and am again doing software sales. Ugh... what I would do to go back!

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 04:37:06 PM »

Jesus, you all make me feel so boring. All I did was finish a novel and get married.  :-o
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 05:41:02 PM »

Jesus, you all make me feel so boring. All I did was finish a novel and get married.  :-o

Congrats on getting hitched! That's a pretty big life event!

As far as finishing a novel... do you mean you read one, or you wrote one?

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 05:48:10 PM »

As far as finishing a novel... do you mean you read one, or you wrote one?

Oh, I wrote one, finally.

It did not turn out like I thought it would.

Which was nice. But unexpected.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

Rico

• Computer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 08:22:56 PM »

Funny you mention Camaro... my neighbor has what appears to be a 2014 Camaro and he's completely OBSESSED with the thing. Washes it at least once a week, if he drives it in the rain he will rinse it off before putting it back in the garage, and I'm convinced he's put straight pipes on it even though it's a V6... that's dedication if you ask me.

Sadly, I got into the German performance side of things, so I'm thinking him and I are rivals (which is probably why he hasn't said a word to me yet after a month!). I'm currently rocking an S6 as my daily, and an M6 for weekends and general "fun".

It's tough to market my tech skills because I don't have anything to really show for it. I really didn't think it though. Had I at least landed one or two tech jobs and THEN switched majors I could have potentially made it work. But instead I worked in the fast food industry for way too long (13 years!) and then jumped ship and worked in software sales for 2 years and then jumped that ship and am again doing software sales. Ugh... what I would do to go back!

Well, I did drive a Alfa Romeo the other day and Misty's not been subtle in suggesting I trade up.  lol  I might go Italian eventually.

Yeah, it can be really tough overcoming occupational inertia, that's for sure.  What you need is something like the Geekdom we have in San Antonio.  It's sort of a cross between being a nerd hangout, a shared workspace, and a startup incubator/assistance hub.  If you were here, I'd send you down there to network and get involved with some startups.  Volunteer some time at a place like that and join a couple meetups.  Given time counts more than paid time in building contacts and experience, so you'd get some momentum change that way.

Life, like matter and energy, is a zero-sum game, though.  There's always a way, but sometimes the investment isn't worth the cost to the individual.  I have no kids, and what's do-able to me may not work for others.  I'm super aware of that, so I say all the above knowing it may not really be workable for you.  Were it me, that's the way I'd start adjusting course, though.  =)

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 08:36:36 PM »

Yeah, it can be really tough overcoming occupational inertia, that's for sure.  What you need is something like the Geekdom we have in San Antonio.  It's sort of a cross between being a nerd hangout, a shared workspace, and a startup incubator/assistance hub.  If you were here, I'd send you down there to network and get involved with some startups.  Volunteer some time at a place like that and join a couple meetups.  Given time counts more than paid time in building contacts and experience, so you'd get some momentum change that way.

I covered Texas as one of my territories in a previous sales job. San Antonio is BOOMING within the tech industry.

I know exactly what you mean, though. After starting in the corporate world and hearing how some people leverage LinkedIn and their networks around them to get introduced to other people who can make hiring decisions, it's obviously my 13 years in the restaurant industry really put me behind by a few years. I guess you can say I got too comfortable.

Fortunately for me, I am now with a great company, so it's just a matter of career pathing to a position that merges everything together. And that doesn't mean in the mean time I can't be off doing my own thing on the internet trying to make it big.  :mrgreen:

Rico

• Computer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 06:32:31 PM »

I covered Texas as one of my territories in a previous sales job. San Antonio is BOOMING within the tech industry.

I know exactly what you mean, though. After starting in the corporate world and hearing how some people leverage LinkedIn and their networks around them to get introduced to other people who can make hiring decisions, it's obviously my 13 years in the restaurant industry really put me behind by a few years. I guess you can say I got too comfortable.

Fortunately for me, I am now with a great company, so it's just a matter of career pathing to a position that merges everything together. And that doesn't mean in the mean time I can't be off doing my own thing on the internet trying to make it big.  :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'm really proud of SA.  We're making a hard pivot towards tech, and I'm hoping this new open data project pushes us a little more into the light on that front.

Way to go with the company, though.  It's tough finding the good ones sometimes.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2016, 04:00:46 AM »

Holy shit, it's Rico!

Holy shit, it's Chris!

HOLY SHIT THE GEEKERY!

OMFGLOL!!1

My thoughts exactly, old chum. It's nice to see some o' the ol' crew alive again - this place was purdy dusty!

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2016, 08:46:21 AM »

My thoughts exactly, old chum. It's nice to see some o' the ol' crew alive again - this place was purdy dusty!

DS! What's new with you?!
Pages: [1] 2