The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 01:05:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 158
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: More draft rumor  (Read 5605 times)

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
More draft rumor
« on: June 02, 2004, 01:30:19 PM »

Click

There is pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills: S 89 and HR 163) which will time the program's initiation so the draft can begin at early as Spring 2005 -- just after the 2004 presidential election. The administration is quietly trying to get these bills passed now, while the public's attention is on the elections, so our action on this is needed immediately.

$28 million has been added to the 2004 Selective Service System (SSS) budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as June 15, 2005. Selective Service must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation.

I ran across this in a couple of different places, and it sounded pretty legit, but the skeptic in me wanted to look around a bit more, so I did, and discovered that this particular rumor is more smoke than anything.

There is in fact a bill in the House (HR 163) and Senate (S 89), but according to good ol' Snopes, neither bill looks like it will ever go anywhere.

Though I must say, this is the first I'd heard of the bill, and it kind of ticks me off that they tried to sneak that in, even though it looks like it never had a snowball's chance in hell of passing.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this nice little rumor and its debunking with you guys, since it seems to be going around.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

phyre

• My Space Emo Attention Whore
  • Coolio Points: +14/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://morningphyre.com
Re: More draft rumor
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 03:04:30 PM »

I'm not too concerned either- and on reviewing the lottery procedures, I'm pretty sure I'm low on the list of folks to draft. Even if I were to come up in a possible lottery, I'd most likely be disqualified for physical fitness reasons.

Quote from: Selective Service System website
Notwithstanding recent stories in the news media and on the Internet, Selective Service is not getting ready to conduct a draft for the U.S. Armed Forces -- either with a special skills or regular draft. Rather, the Agency remains prepared to manage a draft if and when the President and the Congress so direct. This responsibility has been ongoing since 1980 and is nothing new. Further, both the President and the Secretary of Defense have stated on more than one occasion that there is no need for a draft for the War on Terrorism or any likely contingency, such as Iraq. Additionally, the Congress has not acted on any proposed legislation to reinstate a draft. Therefore, Selective Service continues to refine its plans to be prepared as is required by law, and to register young men who are ages 18 through 25.

"Together we are what we can't be alone" -Dropkick Murphys

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
More draft rumor
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 03:32:19 PM »

Exactly.

As a side note, this[/url] really pisses me off though.

:evil:

Law

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +6/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mideastinfo.com
More draft rumor
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 04:04:52 PM »

Quote from: Demosthenes
Exactly.

As a side note, this[/url] really pisses me off though.

:evil:

That truly sucks.
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
More draft rumor
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 04:06:07 PM »

Way to stick it to the brave men and women of the military by making an already thankless job even more so.

bobo

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bobomonkey.com
More draft rumor
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 10:39:56 AM »

Yes, doesn't affect me because my enlistment  doesn't end for another year and I am a lifer more than likely.  But I have several friends that are due to get out that are pissed.  They did a Stop Loss back in 99 when I was in Kuwait, that sucked. I hate to say it but I am starting think Bush really pucked things up on the War on Terror. This is coming from a hardcore Republican. I can't vote for Kerry but Bush isn't looking so hot to me either right now. The armed forces are stretched way to thin. Afghanistan, Iraq and Homeland Security.  There simple not enough manpower to cover all of that and a Stop Loss can only be a temp fix.  That's one of the many reasons why people in the military are dying. We are fighting basically a three front war. The fronts as i see it are Homeland Security, Afghanistan and Iraq.  I know a little military history and no one has ever won a three front war...no one

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
More draft rumor
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 10:48:59 AM »

Isn't a Stop Loss more or less a mental death sentence for people who thought they were going home soon?

I mean, it's like you're ticking off the days in your head, and then suddenly the counter just skyrockets back up to infinity. I was also under the impression that doing that to reservists is just a 'fuck youse!' all 'round.

reimero

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +112/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.omgjonx.com
More draft rumor
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 10:53:00 AM »

During times of war, military conflict or occupation, they can do that.  This isn't the first time it's happened.  My grandfather was due to be discharged in February or March of 1942, and in December of 1941, the Japanese changed all that.

You can say it's a different case, but the point is that this is hardly unprecedented.
"This f*cker is in wisconsin, reimero is from awesomeland." - Bobert

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
More draft rumor
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2004, 10:54:11 AM »

No, not unprecedented... but still not right.

It's kind of like getting a car loan, and just before you get it paid off, the bank says "You know what?  We just had kind of a bad fiscal quarter... we're going to extend your loan for another 10 payments and reevaluate our needs then."

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
More draft rumor
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2004, 10:57:24 AM »

Quote from: reimero
During times of war, military conflict or occupation, they can do that.  This isn't the first time it's happened.  My grandfather was due to be discharged in February or March of 1942, and in December of 1941, the Japanese changed all that.

You can say it's a different case, but the point is that this is hardly unprecedented.

Yeah, but the above is a case where there's a clear and present danger (fuckin' movies stealing all the good lines) to global stability, whereas in this case it's a tumult of their own making. Why should people who aren't career military (ie: reservists)--who signed up for a very specific tenure--be forced to clean up after their dumbass government's mistakes?

bobo

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
More draft rumor
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2004, 11:14:09 AM »

Stop Loss effect everybody I have been in only eight years and i have seen two of them. Stop Loss isn't fair but it  is a part of joys of wearing the uniform. Doesn't mean people in the service have to like it. I know , I didn't like when I was an active duty cop in Kuwait and due to get out and the military was like "where do you think your going?" I spent an extra four month in Kuwait, those four months were horrible. That's nothing now,  I know people that been over in Iraq for over a year and they don't when they are coming home.

reimero

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +112/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.omgjonx.com
More draft rumor
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2004, 02:31:00 PM »

It's also not like you're completely blindsided by the possibility.  I mean, the whole nature of the military is that there's a chance you'll have to put your whole life on hold for an undetermined amount of time.  You claim to enlist for, say, four years, but in fact it's 4 years or until the job is done.  Those who enlist are made aware of this.

Call it unfair, but it's a fact of military life, and if you're not willing to accept that, don't enlist.  Simple as that, really.
"This f*cker is in wisconsin, reimero is from awesomeland." - Bobert

Law

• Hacker
    • View Profile
More draft rumor
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2004, 02:40:24 PM »

Ha!
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
More draft rumor
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2004, 02:44:39 PM »

Quote from: Law
Ha!

:?:

Care to expand on that?  :P

bobo

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
More draft rumor
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2004, 02:55:00 PM »

Quote from: reimero
It's also not like you're completely blindsided by the possibility.  I mean, the whole nature of the military is that there's a chance you'll have to put your whole life on hold for an undetermined amount of time.  You claim to enlist for, say, four years, but in fact it's 4 years or until the job is done.  Those who enlist are made aware of this.

Call it unfair, but it's a fact of military life, and if you're not willing to accept that, don't enlist.  Simple as that, really.

To all of that had the "pleasure" of my postings, you know writing or coherent thought aren't my strong suit but here goes.........

True I can and expect the possibility to be sent any world for any length of time regardless of what my enlistment papers  with in 72 hours. I have no problem with that, I took the oath and I made the choice.  Everyone I know in the service has about the same mind set.  But when someone has served their country honorable and done the time they decided to do in the service. They should receive a salute regardless of their rank, a firm handshake and be told "thank you" by their countrymen and allowed to go home. Not be made to stay past their time. They have answered the call that so many do not.  They have earned that time with their families, to deny them that right would be one of the most serious offense I could imagine.

**steps off soap box and walk back into the darkness

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
More draft rumor
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2004, 03:12:57 PM »

Perhaps y'all missed the part of my post that said 'reservists'.

U.S. Government: Hi, sign this paper to serve for X amount of time.
Reservist: Sounds good.
U.S. Government: Ok, then.
Reservist: Alright, so I've served X time now. Can I go home?
U.S. Government: LOL NO

bobo

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
More draft rumor
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2004, 03:32:04 PM »

Stop Loss applies to the whole military. Stop Loss effects all of the people on active duty getting ready to retire or separate from the military too.  Let me help you out with your little joke

Military member: Sounds good.
Military member: Alright, so I've served X time now. Can I go home?

much more accurate

Law

• Hacker
    • View Profile
More draft rumor
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2004, 03:46:55 PM »

Quote from: Demosthenes
Ha!

:?:

Care to expand on that?  :P

I was laughing at:

Call it unfair, but it's a fact of military life, and if you're not willing to accept that, don't enlist. Simple as that, really.

Knowing full well that he'd freak just like anyone else if he got stop-loss'ed in his last three months of service.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
More draft rumor
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2004, 06:07:17 PM »

Quote from: bobo
Stop Loss applies to the whole military. Stop Loss effects all of the people on active duty getting ready to retire or separate from the military too.  Let me help you out with your little joke

Military member: Sounds good.
Military member: Alright, so I've served X time now. Can I go home?

much more accurate

I'm well aware that Stop Loss applies to all military; my point was that the reservists are signed on for a very specific amount of time and have no vested interest (aside from patriotism and a paycheck) in the military.

bobo

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
More draft rumor
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2004, 07:33:53 PM »

Quote from: Lacerda

I'm well aware that Stop Loss applies to all military; my point was that the reservists are signed on for a very specific amount of time and have no vested interest (aside from patriotism and a paycheck) in the military.

every one in the military signs up for a specific amount of time. Elistments in the Air force, Air National Guard  and the Air Force Reserves run four or six years. Many people on active duty have no other interest in the military other than patriotism and a paycheck. Those are my two main motives. So your point was?? just trying to understand......

Law

• Hacker
    • View Profile
More draft rumor
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2004, 08:33:25 PM »

Quote from: bobo
Quote from: Lacerda

every one in the military signs up for a specific amount of time. Elistments in the Air force, Air National Guard  and the Air Force Reserves run four or six years. Many people on active duty have no other interest in the military other than patriotism and a paycheck. Those are my two main motives. So your point was?? just trying to understand......

Active duty enlistment = possible career, Reserves, not so much. The point was fairly clear.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
More draft rumor
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2004, 08:48:49 PM »

^^^

What do I have to do, paint it on my forehead? Don't think that I won't.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
More draft rumor
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2004, 08:51:17 PM »

If you do, be sure to take pictures for posterity.

bobo

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
More draft rumor
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2004, 10:07:14 PM »

Active duty enlistment = possible career, Reserves, not so much. The point was fairly clear.

OK , that I see, I just didn't get that from what he was saying.