The Geek Forum

• May 15, 2024, 09:37:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129631
  • Total Topics: 7188
  • Online Today: 198
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: bios for dell dimension 4300s  (Read 2292 times)

Radical Ed

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
bios for dell dimension 4300s
« on: February 24, 2006, 03:35:43 PM »

does anyone know where i can get the bios for a dell dimension 4300s. i went to dells website but they didnt have it. it seems that they only have it if there is an upgrade.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 04:18:06 PM »

Are you looking for the actual BIOS chip or the original flash BIOS file? If you're looking to replace the chip on the system board, you may need to get it directly from Dell by having to call the support number. Even then, they may not give you just the chip, but insist you get a new board.

Does your machine even POST? If so, are you able to at least try to update the BIOS with one of the newer models posted? Or is it so horribly hosed you can't even get that far?
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Radical Ed

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 04:36:40 PM »

well, interesting story.
see...I kind of yanked out a hard drive from one computer and switchced the two. my computer didnt like that too much. every so often it gives me a bluescreen when i boot up. i just have to restart and its fine. so i tried reinstalling all its drivers and now....For some reason...when i boot up it says "Dell Dimension 4500". when i own a 4300s.
SO
i thought if i got the bios for this computer then maybe those bluescreens would stop.

sociald1077

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +129/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 05:37:44 PM »

Did you back up all important data and re-format the HD? Sometimes a clean fresh start is all you need to get things running right.
"Guns don't kill people! PHYSICS kill people!" - Dick Soloman

ivan

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 05:42:10 PM »

Well, the Dell Dimension 4300 wrote a couple of bios where it claimed to be this badass processor, and then went on Oprah and... oh, wait, you meant BIOS.

Nevermind.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 06:13:40 PM »

Quote from: Radical Ed
well, interesting story.
see...I kind of yanked out a hard drive from one computer and switchced the two. my computer didnt like that too much. every so often it gives me a bluescreen when i boot up. i just have to restart and its fine. so i tried reinstalling all its drivers and now....For some reason...when i boot up it says "Dell Dimension 4500". when i own a 4300s.
SO
i thought if i got the bios for this computer then maybe those bluescreens would stop.

Switching out hard disks from different computers should not have affected the machine's BIOS at all. Something's not making sense here. Is it the Dell spash screen upon boot up that's suddenly changed model numbers? Or is it what Windows reports the machine as being?

Windows HATES having lots of new hardware thrown at it at once. In this case, that's pretty much what happened. From my understanding, you took the OS drive from one computer and placed into a different model and made it the primary boot device. So the old version of windows had all these different drivers loaded into it for the system board of the old machine. I'm sure it auto-detected the new system board drivers and the such, but I'm pretty sure the OS is completely and utterly confused at this point. Best thing to do, if it were me, would be to boot into safe mode and remove pretty much every driver you could, then reboot the dang thing in normal mode and have it auto-detect all the hardware again. This way, hopefully, all the old system drivers are gone and the confusion will stop.

Try to back up your data before you do this. If you lose any data, it's not my fault.  :D
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-