The Geek Forum

• May 14, 2024, 07:17:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129631
  • Total Topics: 7188
  • Online Today: 191
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: I have no idea if this is considered Entertainment, but.....  (Read 2785 times)

CKY2k5skater

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
I have no idea if this is considered Entertainment, but.....
« on: December 15, 2002, 02:52:54 PM »

I have been wanting to get sorround sound for my computer, just for my games and music, etc.  I was wondering if there is any type of sorround sound that i could get so that i could plug it into my computer, and then if i wanted switch it over to my Playstation 2 or X box[/b]

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2002, 05:41:34 PM »

There is a way to do this. It's probably a little too expensive to do all at one time, but it can be done. You can get a surrond receiver, 5 speakers, and a sub from a place like Best Buy and get a good sound card that supports dolby digital from New Egg.com and run a cable from the card to the receiver.

Heck, I find it to be rather sweet. I'm running that same setup, minus a sound card that produces sounds in dolby.

Here 'tis the thread from a while ago

CKY2k5skater

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2002, 08:24:48 PM »

Soooooo, you are saying the dolby sound card is optional?? and do i need sny kind of special wire?

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2002, 08:29:29 PM »

Dolby sound card is required if you want the sound that the receiver outputs to be in surrond sound. If you don't have a dolby compliant card, the same left and right sounds will come out of every speaker as opposed to having a front left, front right, left rear, right rear, and center speaker.

There is a special wire you'll need to make the whole thing work, you might want to go to your local electronics store to see what kind of Y-wires they have. You'll need a decent quality one in order for it to sound its best.

CKY2k5skater

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2002, 12:32:22 AM »

so, i will need to buy a sorround sound system, a dolby card for my computer, and a y wire to hook it all up to my Playstation? is there any way you can take a picture of you setup to show me what it all looks like