The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 03:14:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Worst luck ever  (Read 4262 times)

Apollyon

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +3/-6
    • View Profile
Worst luck ever
« on: November 23, 2007, 11:12:41 PM »

Why is it bad things love to happen right when you need everything to go smoothly?

For months after I graduated from HS in June, my Air Force recruiter has been giving me dates to leave for boot camp that have fallen through. He kept forgetting to do things like get important documents to me and didn't call me once when he said he was going to. Now after almost 6 months I finally got a confirmed leave date on the 27th. And of course, a week before I go in, a filling gets knocked out of one of my teeth and I'm told I have to get a root canal. Every time I make extended plans something stupid like this happens. Don't understand it.
Does crap like this happen to any of you?
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everyday always just exactly fits the newspaper." --Jerry Seinfeld.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Re: Worst luck ever
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 11:41:37 PM »

Yeah, I made the same mistake in 1984.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

12AX7

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 04:44:33 AM »

Congratulations on your enlistment; and thank you very much for your willingness to serve.
 Good luck, and God bless.

Apollyon

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 11:23:41 AM »

Thanks and
Yeah, I made the same mistake in 1984.
  :roll: not what I had in mind....

You didn't like being in the military?
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everyday always just exactly fits the newspaper." --Jerry Seinfeld.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 12:08:27 PM »

Nope.  I hated it.  My definition of the military is:

A group of the unwilling lead by the mostly incapable who attained their rank through longevity.

Though, some people really enjoy it.  Don't let my experience cloud your view of the potential experience.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

12AX7

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 02:13:54 PM »

I can't refute BizB's definition totally; it can be the absolute truth - but it's no different than ANY massive organization; civillian, government, or otherwise. I work for a large telecommunications company; an actual world leader in the industry - and we operate far more stupidly much more consistently than I EVER saw in 10 years in the military. It really depends on where you're assigned. You could be in a unit (office) that totally kicks ass, or you could get assigned to a unit that totally sucks ass. If you're in long enough; you'll experience both, just the same as if you work long enough, you'll find both good companies and sorry ones.

Paladin

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 02:37:26 PM »

But the main difference is that if you work at a civilian office that sucks you can always try to get another job, or quit first and then get another job if you have a little cash put aside. You can even punch your boss in the nose if it gets really bad  :-)

I understand that the military would have a very big problem with any of those things.
"...And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth."

Eric Idle

12AX7

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 02:55:45 PM »

You can ask for a transfer, wait until your enlistment ends, put in for another MOS, etc. There are plenty of options.
 You dont think the law here would have a problem with you punching someone's nose? That's a really bright, intelligent way to get yourself landed in jail; and fined some of that money from the job you just lost.|>  Not to mention; who the hell would hire you after that dismissal?
 And what if you don't have money put aside? You can still quit? Who feeds you? Who gives you free medical care? Clothes (albeit uniforms- it's still something to wear). If you can find a civillian company who provides these things, let me know. Are there any civillian comapnies who will train you for a job (unrelated to your current one) specifically so you will have marketable skills when you quit them and go to work for someone else? Any civillian companies willing to give you 15, 20, or 30 thousand dollars in addition to your base pay to work for them for three or four years?

Apollyon

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 03:51:17 PM »

My plan is to get into Para rescue in the next couple months and then maybe in a few years go to school for computer programming. I know a desk job would be safer, but I really don't want to be stuck behind a desk all day. I worked at a telemarketing agency for 2 years while I was in high school. I hated every minute of it. Couldn't stand sitting still all day doing nothing but taking calls.

I know a lot of people who hated the military, and a lot of people who loved it. My mother and father were in the navy, my uncle a marine, and my grandpa was in the Air Force. All but my uncle loved their jobs. I guess as with any job it depends much on who your boss and coworkers are.