The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 09:39:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129552
  • Total Topics: 7149
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Holding a new administration to their promises  (Read 16044 times)

12AX7

Re: Holding a new administration to their promises
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2009, 02:57:15 PM »

I'm moving to NH.

Read that as "Im moving to HN."

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 03:02:17 PM »

I lived there once.  The weather is nice but the residents are assholes.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

12AX7

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2009, 03:42:15 PM »

Havent you heard? There are no residents anymore.
They paved Paradise and put up a parking lot.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2009, 03:49:11 PM »

I lived there once.  The weather is nice but the residents are assholes.

All that individual freedom really does a number on your property values.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

buisysignal

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +1/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2009, 10:56:35 PM »

Although many people have no faith in this new administration. I beleive Obama will be the begginning of a new era of honest politics. It is very clear that the government greatly benefits from failed policies. But i choose to have hope that our world is changing for the better and honest politics will rise again.

Of course I could be wrong and Obama destroys the earth, but i choose to be optmistic.

12AX7

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2009, 12:08:37 AM »

Late teens, early/mid twenties.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2009, 09:25:17 AM »

Could not vote.

Silly Canadianese.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 09:28:09 AM by BizB »
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2009, 01:09:40 PM »

Late teens, early/mid twenties.
What are you trying to say?
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2009, 01:53:38 PM »

I beleive Obama will be the begginning of a new era of honest politics.

Because if any politician knows about honesty, it's a Chicago one.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2009, 03:52:51 PM »

lol
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

12AX7

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2009, 06:10:26 PM »

I wonder which actual state will become Palestine. I guess he hasn't realized the reason these people are all fighting is for a HOMELAND (not that there ever was a Palestine; but we'll just ignore that as usual). So I'm sure they'll be happy to move here on your tax dime (free airline tickets, housing, and food - read it for yourself) and submit to Western rule and Law in a Western "homeland"... yep. Or maybe they'll just take a small PIECE of a state; like the horn of Massachusetts.
 Anyway.

http://www.thefederalregister.com/d.p/2009-02-04-E9-2488

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 06:49:15 PM »

Funny read.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/palestinians.asp

False...for now! Dun dun dun....
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

12AX7

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2009, 07:11:12 PM »

Well, there you go. There's the document itself; and Snope's take on it.

From the actual doc:
 "furnish assistance under the Act in an amount not to exceed $20.3 million from the United States Emergency Refugee and Migration Assistance Fund for the purpose of meeting unexpected and urgent refugee and migration needs, including by contributions to international, governmental, and nongovernmental organizations and payment of administrative expenses of Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration of the Department of State, related to humanitarian needs of Palestinian refugees and conflict victims in Gaza."

From Snope's:
  "According to the U.S. Department of State, those funds are to be distributed as follows:
Of the $20.3 million in new ERMA funds, $13.5 million will go to the U.N. Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA), $6 million to the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), and $800,000 to the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). These organizations are distributing emergency food assistance, providing medical assistance and temporary shelter, creating temporary employment, and restoring access to electricity and potable water to the people of Gaza."

So, if the Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration of the Department of State is involved, and funds are being used to "provide temporary shelter, and create temporary employment; you're saying that "we" (Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration of the Department of State) are housing them. . . over there? I dont think our Bureau has anything to do with the populations refugees and migrations happening outside our borders. Why would they be involved at all? Why wouldn't it be the UN - (U.N. Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East)? That's what they are there for - to manage the folks - over there.

12AX7

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2009, 07:13:39 PM »

Besides that; personally, I don't think any of them (Palestinians) would come over here anyway. They hate us.

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2009, 07:20:29 PM »

Haha!  I just said in another thread that I had a Palestinian student last year.  So there must be at least a few here.

And she loves me!!!
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

12AX7

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2009, 07:22:56 PM »

Well, everybody loves you.

12AX7

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2009, 05:17:46 AM »

Haha!  I just said in another thread that I had a Palestinian student last year.  So there must be at least a few here.

And she loves me!!!

Palestinian as a person, and Palestinian as a people aren't the same thing. Surely you aren't gonna say you believe they like the US over there?  I'm sure there are individuals who are more pro-western than others; but my statement was referring to the collective in Gaza (and elsewhere). If they like us; they sure got a funny way of showing it.
  My post wasn't really about the people, anyway, except to highlight what a retarded idea it would be to try move "*the Palestinians" here ( *Without more information, I don't know how many) because they probably really DONT WANT to come here; and use 20 million dollars to do it. (When we have people RIGHT HERE who could use a little help to make the rent and not become homeless; due to the economic situation)
  And yes; this time I believe your Snope's link missed the point. Apparently the falsehood is details in the listed emails. The document itself is right there to read. Interpret it for yourself; that's all. It specifcally mentions the Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration of the Department of State; in addition to mentioning U.N. Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) and the funding allotted to them. The UN agency handles refugees and relocations over there. So why is the Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration of the Department of State involved? Unless some of the aforementioned "temporary housing" is inside US borders. That's the only reason I can think of.
  I don't care where Palestinians live, but to spend such a chunk to bring ANYBODY over here (from anywhere) doesn't sit any better with me than doling out billions to banks, automakers, and on and on.

12AX7

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2009, 05:23:21 AM »

And this, btw, on top of dropping all charges against the Cole bombing suspects before meeting with the families of the sailors killed on the Cole.
 Why would you do something like that?  :?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 07:17:38 AM by 12AX7 »

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2009, 11:16:49 AM »

If you give anyone lots of reasons not to like you, you shouldn't be surprised when it turns out that they don't like you.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

12AX7

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2009, 11:49:46 AM »

If you give anyone lots of reasons not to like you, you shouldn't be surprised when it turns out that they don't like you.
Yep; and boy, is he in for a surprise come 2012.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2009, 02:09:14 PM »

He?
He who?  Obama?

I think you're jumping the gun a bit if you're already willing to throw him out on his toned, charismatic ass.  And even if you are, it's an even bigger leap if you're somehow thinking that his first term will both a)be widely regarded as a failure and b)his throngs of worshippers will in any way see said failure as his fault.
I think you've been underwater in some fringe, right wing forums for too long.  Come up for air and get some perspective.  His approval numbers, for whatever they're worth, are Reagan-esque for this point in their respective terms.  And who knows, as unpalatable as it is to your various philosophies (mine too, for that matter), it's possible that all this hope and change crap could actually work.

12AX7

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2009, 05:51:25 PM »

Heh. This is the only forum I visit.
 I made reference back to him because your statement about being surprised that people don't like you etc, seemed to me to refer to the Palestinians. While certainly true; it made no sense where you put it. No one is surprised they don't like us; and no one claims we've treated them fairly or even nicely.
 If the hope and change crap works; fuckin great. Personally, I don't hold any hope of government changing fundamentally anytime soon. I thought it was his party that sneered at the "trickle-down" economy? That doesn't work; they said. You can't give money to "big business" and expect Joe Sixpack and Joe Plumber to benefit from it they said.
  So who's getting all this big money that's being handed out? Joe Sixpack? Joe Plumber? No. Businesses. Big ones. Isn't this exactly what he said was the problem with the current economic situation?
  What about closing Gitmo? Exactly why? Forego criminal trials (now; we claimed they were criminal; not "so-called terrorists" and 'deserved' a fair and proper hearing) and just let them all go? To what end? To make ourselves look good to the rest of the world who believes Gitmo is some sort of medieval torture chamber? What about the Cole bombing suspects? Just turn em loose. 

So anyway; back to your original quote

12AX7

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2009, 06:18:33 PM »

And you really think I'm that right wing?

No religion

legalize (or decriminalize) drugs

Pro choice

Firearm regulation  (<-- I believe registration for the purposes of background checks and tracking of firearms as per forensics in a criminal investigation and a waiting period for handgu-- actually ANY gun is perfectly fine; and does not infringe at all. I do NOT believe in restricting the number of firearms, nor the type of firearms. Possibly stricter controls on automatic ammunition, though)

+1 for gay marriage

How right-wing is that?

12AX7

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2009, 06:22:35 PM »

Also, pro-immigration; when it's done right. I also think we should be teaching our kids Spanish in school instead of bitching about the kids who already speak it. Half the world already speaks Spanish; we need to get with the program.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2009, 06:29:38 PM »

fucking commie
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4