The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 01:29:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129555
  • Total Topics: 7152
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Holding a new administration to their promises  (Read 16046 times)

12AX7

Re: Holding a new administration to their promises
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2009, 08:16:14 PM »

For battlefield detainees, quite clearly the Geneva Conventions apply.  This has always been the legal loophole that the government used to justify their torture; that these people were not battlefield detainees (i.e. prisoners of war) and as such, the Geneva Conventions do not apply. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/20/AR2009022002191.html?wprss=rss_nation

"...A Pentagon review, which President Obama ordered and was prepared by Adm. Patrick M. Walsh, the vice chief of naval operations, of conditions at the Guantanamo Bay military prison has concluded that the treatment of detainees meets the requirements of the Geneva Conventions but that prisoners in the highest-security camps should be allowed more religious and social interaction..."

jeee

• Dork
  • Coolio Points: +189/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2009, 04:20:02 AM »

I don't think that the vice chief of naval operations will conclude anything else then this.

And you say:

"As for the non-combatants captured on a battlefield; generally these people are identified early on and are let go. Our soldiers aren't stupid; and have no interest in holding someone who isn't in the game to harm them. To have made it to Gitmo means having engaged our troops in some fashion, lost or surrendered, been interviewed on the spot, taken back to base, interviewed some more, and subsequently been interviewed by intelligence personnel several times before being granted access to the Cuban resort. I don't believe for a second that we have some totally innocent people incarcerated at Gitmo. If we do, they sure did a lot of lying and pretending to be a combatant to get through the various interviews, checks on the info given for validity, and apparently posed a further threat - which is the reason for holding them at Gitmo in the first place"

Maybe so, but eventually you have to charge them with something and charges were never pressed against a lot of these folks. I think the US realized this when they opened Guantanamo bay and therefor put the prison outside of US borders.

Nonetheless I agree that the detainees held are probably not flowerchildren.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2009, 10:14:13 AM »

"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

12AX7

« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2009, 03:52:46 AM »

It's a small step in the right direction on one issue; yes. Commendations for that; but simply ceasing federal raids on state-approved shops is more like stepping back to normal than an advance. It reads as if his motive is the cost savings of not using Federal resources; not any fundamental change in drug policy.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]