The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 02:55:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129553
  • Total Topics: 7150
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: White African Americans: A Discussion of Political Correctness  (Read 19168 times)

tweek

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +44/-5
  • Ice Monkey/Finne
    • View Profile

Sorry for the bland essay title.  Linkidoo

This article has thus far produced a 576 post shit storm on Fark, and now I bring it to you. 

The valedictorian of my high school was one of the whitest girls I ever met.  She had pale skin, blonde hair, and blue eyes.  I used to call her "Marion the Aryan"... I know, I shouldn't have found that so amusing.  Anyway, Marion was from Zimbabwe, her parents were there as missionaries when she was born.  Technically, she was an "African American." 

I suppose the debate comes down to what exactly is that term "African American" is meant to imply.  It seems that most feel it is simply a nice way of saying "black," not as a way of describing an American with origins in Africa.  I don't doubt this guy was being an attention whore, but did he cross some sort of magical PC line?

jeee

• Dork
  • Coolio Points: +189/-4
    • View Profile
Re: White African Americans: A Discussion of Political Correctness
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 02:11:25 AM »

We have a lot of people of Surinam in the netherlands, they are always called african-americans while nor roots or origin has anything to do with being african.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanket_term

12AX7

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 04:27:26 AM »

Black people in the US have a somewhat different mindset than than elsewhere in the world, though, jeee. A different history, and different reasons for self-identifying as "black" or "African-American". Much of this difference has to do directly with the social structure here; a large reason is an attempt to SELF - identify; and not simply accept the white race's term(s) for them with no say - so in the matter. First the term (given by whites) was Negro. Then the term "black" was used by blacks proudly; until whites took that term over and used it until it began to be derogatory much the same way as Negro (and I do NOT mean the word "nigger") did. Thus the term African-American came into being. 
  So now you have a white person (of African heritage) claiming a term coined specifically by blacks to get away from the identity given them by whites.
  "White people call us 'black'; so WE DECIDE to be called African-American."
  I can understand the discomfort in a white person hi-jacking that from them, too. However, it was inevitable; with the name decided upon: African-American. Bad choice if you were only wanting to denominate black Africans in America.
  I disagree with the student's treatment, however, if his use of the term African-American is the only basis for it. If he's from Africa and he's now an American; he's African-American whether he's black, white, red, yellow, brown, or blue. Time to pick another term to use to describe ONLY blacks.

jeee

• Dork
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 06:25:28 AM »

Yeah , I sort of got that already. Still the term african-american has always puzzled me.

Probie

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +223/-5
  • The natural nap catalyst
    • View Profile
    • SoggyBlog
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 06:36:13 AM »

In the UK people just use the general terms black and white. 'Asian' is another safe word. I don't quite follow what happens in America, racism is quite a touche subject in a states, or so its seems from this distance. Would you say racism is as bad as some American rappers would have you believe?

I don't see a lot of racism in the UK although I am sure people will assert that it is here, I associate racism with stupidity and if I'm honest thats not the kind of company I keep.

// ------- Probie ------- //
// ----------------------- //
// --- T3H GEEKERY --- //
// ----------------------- //
www.niccisixx.com - I can put this here, because I'm awesome.

Socrates

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +123/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 07:28:34 AM »

As someone who has to do institutional reporting regarding the race/ethnicity of students and applicants I am getting a kick out of this.

What people always seem to forget is that those values are self-reported, or not.  And they can change.  The applicant doesn't want to tell you since they don't want to bias the admissions committee, one way or the other.  Once they are admitted they decide it's okay to tell you.  This happens for all races not just white (although mostly white).

I have often gotten into conversations with the dean of diversity regarding exactly this issue.  She wants to invite all "students of color" and URM (under represented minorites - not white american or asian-american basically) to a dinner, I generate a list of  students. She says people are missing and gives me names, the students are international.  So they aren't xxxx-american anything, if I give her a list of all students who have a nationality of an African country not all of them will be "of color", and there will also be some from other countries.  As a white guy it's hard to understand why something that sounds simple ends up so twisty and confusing.

To add to all of this the Federal government is changing the question that is being asked for Race/Ethnicity starting with the new census and all students and applicants to higher education next year.  So expect to see big shifts in that.
--this space intentionally left blank--

jeee

• Dork
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 08:52:42 AM »

But still it is only in the US that people get called African-Americans. That causes problem nr 1 already adressed in post 1 and problem nr 2 people of colour who are not American will be called Americans. So then you need also African-Europeans and African-Asians. Or what about the folks in South America? African-South-Americans? Although that last one would solve the problem with the folks from Surinam. Anyway, it was not chosen wisely.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 08:57:42 AM »

In the UK people just use the general terms black and white. 'Asian' is another safe word. I don't quite follow what happens in America, racism is quite a touche subject in a states, or so its seems from this distance. Would you say racism is as bad as some American rappers would have you believe?
It's really a matter of perspective and class. In my opinion the predominant racism I see is shifting from the classic "whites-hate-blacks" and moving more towards a distinguished, "blacks-hate-whites". That's just merely what I see happening from the social class and geographical area that I live in. Especially, since no matter what whites do to reconcile any past greives their very actions are perceived as racist towards blacks.
Also there's a big swing of hatred flying towards the Hispanic communty at the moment.
It doesn't really matter where you go somebody is going to hate somebody for some reason, whether it be it color of skin, religion, lifestyle choice, or the way they walk.
Back on topic though, African-American denotes someones who is now American who was from Africa, regardless of skin color. That's just how the term reads.
Anyway, it was not chosen wisely.
Concur.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

Socrates

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 10:29:56 AM »

But still it is only in the US that people get called African-Americans. That causes problem nr 1 already adressed in post 1 and problem nr 2 people of colour who are not American will be called Americans. So then you need also African-Europeans and African-Asians. Or what about the folks in South America? African-South-Americans? Although that last one would solve the problem with the folks from Surinam. Anyway, it was not chosen wisely.

Well yes, by definition you have to be an american citizen to be anything-american.

12AX7

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 11:44:06 AM »

In my opinion the predominant racism I see is shifting from the classic "whites-hate-blacks" and moving more towards a distinguished, "blacks-hate-whites". That's just merely what I see happening from the social class and geographical area that I live in. Especially, since no matter what whites do to reconcile any past greives their very actions are perceived as racist towards blacks.

Look out now! You're gonna get yourself lumped in with me making statements like that.

tweek

• Jail Bait
  • Ice Monkey/Finne
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 11:57:29 AM »

Well yes, by definition you have to be an american citizen to be anything-american.

Latin American?

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 01:31:19 PM »

Apu: Today, I am no longer an Indian living in America. I am an Indian-American.
Lisa: You know, in a way, all Americans are immigrants. Except, of course Native Americans.
Homer: Yeah, Native Americans like us.
Lisa: No, I mean American Indians.
Apu: Like me.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

Socrates

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 03:10:10 PM »

Latin American?
Doesn't exist as a federal race/ethnicity.

12AX7

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 03:11:12 PM »

Canadians?  North-Americans...

Clear_Runway

• Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 03:39:27 PM »

Or... we could just screw the whole rediculous PC "system"(which mostly just changes the definitions of term every other week) and simply call whites "whites" blacks "blacks" indians "indians" and asians "asians". as soon as the terms are accepted by the general public, they magically become offensive, creating an endless cycle. this needs to stop.
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 04:22:16 PM »

I love hispanics.
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

12AX7

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 04:30:43 PM »

Well, if you love em so much, why don't ya marry . . . ohwait...

tweek

• Jail Bait
  • Ice Monkey/Finne
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 05:47:08 PM »

Or... we could just screw the whole rediculous PC "system"(which mostly just changes the definitions of term every other week) and simply call whites "whites" blacks "blacks" indians "indians" and asians "asians". as soon as the terms are accepted by the general public, they magically become offensive, creating an endless cycle. this needs to stop.

How about giving everyone a number assignment?  Whites or Caucasians will be 1... for obvious reasons.  Blacks or African Americans will be 2.  Asian or Orientals will be 3.14159265, because they love math.  Native Americans or Indians will be 0 because we've almost completely wiped them out.  If we simply switch to numbers we can stop arguing semantics. 

tweek

• Jail Bait
  • Ice Monkey/Finne
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 05:48:10 PM »

Well, if you love em so much, why don't ya marry . . . ohwait...

Say it isn't so!  Is Detta married?

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 09:10:56 PM »

Canadians?  North-Americans...

I thought Canadadadianianseses were Northern North Americans.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 08:26:14 AM »

Native Americans or Indians will be 0 because we've almost completely wiped them out. 
I resemble that remark and resent being referred to as 0.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike

reimero

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +112/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.omgjonx.com
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 08:39:36 AM »

I think those of us who are caucasian should band together to reclaim and advocate use of the term "honkey."
"This f*cker is in wisconsin, reimero is from awesomeland." - Bobert

Probie

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
    • SoggyBlog
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »

I resemble that remark and resent being referred to as 0.

you resemble that remark?

Probie

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
    • SoggyBlog
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 08:54:01 AM »

I think those of us who are caucasian should band together to reclaim and advocate use of the term "honkey."

ooo i never heard that before, sounds so much cooler than white!

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 10:30:49 AM »

you resemble that remark?
I'm Ojibwe and a little bit Chickasaw.
Pages: [1] 2 3