The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 01:27:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 179
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: White African Americans: A Discussion of Political Correctness  (Read 19166 times)

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
Re: White African Americans: A Discussion of Political Correctness
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 04:01:04 PM »

Say it isn't so!  Is Detta married?
You've been gone a while, eh?  I got married to Enrique in August.
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

jeee

• Dork
  • Coolio Points: +189/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 05:07:48 PM »

Say it isn't so!  Is Detta married?

They're not only taking your jobs Tweek.

I am Kidding

Clear_Runway

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 12:49:08 PM »

as an aside... don't Indians rather dislike the term "Native Americans"? That term didn't even exist until the 70's. Of course, they would rather be called by their tribal names, but nobody can remember all of those.
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 02:25:12 PM »

I am nobody.

And we prefer Native American or American Indian before just "Indian", but as long as you're not calling me a "prairie nigger" or a "redskin" I'm generally unoffended. Unless I'm being intentionally contrary because I just don't like you.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2009, 03:05:14 PM »

Boyfriend's an Ojibwae, he hates when I call him an Indian, he got the most upset when I called him a savage... I thought it was funny.
I have to agree with your boyfriend. "Savage" is right up there with "prairie nigger". No one's ever called me one though. Maybe it's because I hang out with too many PC crackers.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike

tweek

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +44/-5
  • Ice Monkey/Finne
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2009, 03:09:22 PM »

I am nobody.

And we prefer Native American or American Indian before just "Indian", but as long as you're not calling me a "prairie nigger" or a "redskin" I'm generally unoffended. Unless I'm being intentionally contrary because I just don't like you.

Who made you the spokesman for Savages?  You can somehow tell what all Indians like to be called?

jeee

• Dork
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2009, 04:40:31 PM »

Shut up Tweek.

What about calling everybody humans?

And then to categorize we take sizes

Like, "There's a lot of c-cup sizes in maryland"

12AX7

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2009, 05:24:03 PM »

Who made you the spokesman for Savages?  You can somehow tell what all Indians like to be called?

Waitwaitwait. First - right off; you JUST read that it offends her ( and BS's bf) to be called savages; and you turn right around and use that term - Im assuming simply because they mentioned it - in her face. Second; she is American Indian, and would know what terminology would be offensive, but you question her?
   Unless you were kidding (and if so; that was a really bad joke); you should probably apologize. I can't believe you actually said that in the first place. You'd call someone "nigger"? "Wetback"? "Beaner"? "chink"?   If not, then why is "savage" ok?

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2009, 06:58:26 PM »

Who made you the spokesman for Savages? 
Since I'm not a savage, no one.
You can somehow tell what all Indians like to be called?
I cannot speak for anyone from India. I'm Ojibwe and Chickasaw.

EDIT: I edited this alot because I couldn't tell who was being serious and who wasn't. Also, I have a few bitch points I haven't spent this month but I decided to save them for something special.

I like jeee's idea.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 07:11:28 PM by Wunderkind »

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2009, 07:42:46 PM »

besides making me watch S. Darko is so much worse that that.

Agreed.

Incidentally, I'm a Choctaw. The only time people can tell is when I fill out application paperwork (diversity engineering scholarship ftw), so I don't really hear any of it.

The only time I was called a 'native American' was by my manager who I'm sure meant to say 'native English speaker'. I have the distinct honor of judging if new recruits can speak English well enough to work here.

Oh. And lol @ Joe's post.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 07:49:33 PM by Novice »
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2009, 09:12:05 PM »

What about "redskin"?  That always seemed like it would be offensive to me if I had been an indigenous person and/or had feelings.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

tweek

• Jail Bait
  • Ice Monkey/Finne
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2009, 09:22:33 PM »

Waitwaitwait. First - right off; you JUST read that it offends her ( and BS's bf) to be called savages; and you turn right around and use that term - Im assuming simply because they mentioned it - in her face. Second; she is American Indian, and would know what terminology would be offensive, but you question her?
   Unless you were kidding (and if so; that was a really bad joke); you should probably apologize. I can't believe you actually said that in the first place. You'd call someone "nigger"? "Wetback"? "Beaner"? "chink"?   If not, then why is "savage" ok?

Words are just words unless there is some harmful intent or disrespectful tone behind them.  I don't abide by the belief that some words are too taboo to be said.  If we can't say those words which some people find offensive, then where do we stop?  If you don't want to here what I have to say, you can ban me.  That won't solve your problems though when you're in a restaurant, train, or anywhere else you don't have the power to shut people up.  That's sort of where this thread started.  A kid said something stupid that people didn't like.  Rather than passing it off, they harassed him and threw him out of school.   Now he's suing them, and they look like assholes who couldn't take a joke. 

Nigger.

12AX7

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2009, 09:30:03 PM »

lol@ "the power to shut people up". You kids learn quick. If you do something wrong/bad/stupid and get caught or called out on it; it's always the person who called you out on it's fault.
 "I don't think calling you a nigger is disrespectful at all, you nigger. It's your fault that the word is offensive; not mine, nigger."

Nice. Not only do you appear to be a bigoted asshole; but a rather not-to-bright one at that.
 No one is "shutting you up", etc, etc, Ms Pelosi. I only suggested that you just blatantly insulted another member with a racial slur and should apologize. If you don't; that's fine; it only demonstrates your character.

tweek

• Jail Bait
  • Ice Monkey/Finne
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2009, 09:40:39 PM »

lol@ "the power to shut people up". You kids learn quick. If you do something wrong/bad/stupid and get caught or called out on it; it's always the person who called you out on it's fault.
 "I don't think calling you a nigger is disrespectful at all, you nigger. It's your fault that the word is offensive; not mine, nigger."

Nice. Not only do you appear to be a bigoted asshole; but a rather not-to-bright one at that.
 No one is "shutting you up", etc, etc, Ms Pelosi. I only suggested that you just blatantly insulted another member with a racial slur and should apologize. If you don't; that's fine; it only demonstrates your character.

I never said you were shutting me up.  I said that I'm allowed to say whatever I want.  On this specific website you have the power to stop me.  You haven't; which is great.  As for my free-speech bit, I don't blame people for getting angry at certain words.  If I run up to an African American and scream, "Fucking NIGGER!"  I expect that person to be offended/hit me.  I'm saying that tone and intent matter more that a series of letters.  Calling my comment a blatant insult is a stretch.  Wunderkind said she wasn't sure who was being serious and who wasn't.  Your blowing this way out of proportion. 

And by the way, I already apologized in private message.  It seems that you're the one looking for an apology however.  If I've somehow insulted you let me know, and I'll pass one along.  Wunderkind seems old enough to fight her own battles though.

12AX7

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2009, 10:27:10 PM »

I never said you were shutting me up. 
Hmm, ok, I put it in quotation marks; which actually means the same thing as if I had quoted it, but since that apparently isn't clear; here it is:

Words are just words unless there is some harmful intent or disrespectful tone behind them.  I don't abide by the belief that some words are too taboo to be said.  If we can't say those words which some people find offensive, then where do we stop?  If you don't want to here what I have to say, you can ban me.  That won't solve your problems though when you're in a restaurant, train, or anywhere else you don't have the power to shut people up[/u].  That's sort of where this thread started.  A kid said something stupid that people didn't like.  Rather than passing it off, they harassed him and threw him out of school.   Now he's suing them, and they look like assholes who couldn't take a joke. 

Nigger.

See that there? I made it big and underlined it, too. So. Back to my original statement:

lol@ "the power to shut people up"
[/u]. You kids learn quick. If you do something wrong/bad/stupid and get caught or called out on it; it's always the person who called you out on it's fault.

There - see how I bolded and underlined that part?
  So from your very first sentence, it seems you are misreading, misunderstanding, or intentionally misrepresenting what you read and understood.   

Calling my comment a blatant insult is a stretch. 
Apparently not:
Wunderkind said she wasn't sure who was being serious and who wasn't. 

In reading the posts below, in the order that they appear in the thread, a normal, sane-minded person would indeed call your comment a blatant insult.
Also, if you seriously believe it is NOT an insult; what did you apologize to Wunderkind for?

I am nobody.

I have to agree with your boyfriend. "Savage" is right up there with "prairie nigger". No one's ever called me one though. Maybe it's because I hang out with too many PC crackers.

Your blowing this way out of proportion. 
You're

And by the way, I already apologized in private message. 
None of my business.
  One question begs, however; if it wasn't an insult, and couldn't be construed as one ("just a series of letters"), what was the apology for? Surely you didn't come off with that  "Im sorry if you were offended, but"  bull?

It seems that you're the one looking for an apology however.  If I've somehow insulted you let me know, and I'll pass one along. 
And exactly what would I be asking for in an apology? I ask you; as you came up with the idea; you must have some inkling of why I should ask for an apology.
  I'm doing my job here as a moderator; and calling you out on your use of a racial slur, pointing out that a member JUST stated that that was indeed an insult, and suggesting you apologize TO HER. How you interpret that to mean I seek apology to me is, again, another example of you either misreading, misunderstanding, or misrepresenting what you read and understood.

Wunderkind seems old enough to fight her own battles though.

She certainly is. But on this forum, we have moderators so that members don't have to "fight battles" over something such as this. Many people are non-confrontational and will simply not come here anymore. Soon all you'd be left with is people like you, who's comment don't actually mean anything and are simply a "series of letters" whenever challenged.

tweek

• Jail Bait
  • Ice Monkey/Finne
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2009, 11:05:59 PM »

You should spend some time on the Fark forums, you'd fit right in.  I apologized in case my comment was taken the wrong way by her, not by you.  Before you take up Wunderkind's cause, why not ask her if she actually took offense.  It seems to me that she wasn't sure how to take it. 

EDIT: I edited this alot because I couldn't tell who was being serious and who wasn't. Also, I have a few bitch points I haven't spent this month but I decided to save them for something special.

If you honestly think I was out to deliver a racial slur to offend someone, and it's your (to avoid being attacked by the grammar police) job to step in, then ban me.  Let's be done with it.  Accept that this isn't as big a deal as you're making it, or just ban me.  It's as simple as that, and it's not the end of the world. 

tweek

• Jail Bait
  • Ice Monkey/Finne
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2009, 11:12:44 PM »

What about "redskin"?  That always seemed like it would be offensive to me if I had been an indigenous person and/or had feelings.

News Story

12AX7

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2009, 11:13:43 PM »

Ok, not a problem. I don't get why you want to be banned so bad, but whatever.

jeee

• Dork
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2009, 03:18:58 AM »

They are from Washington right?

And for the new classification method I also need to know your penis length Joe.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2009, 08:22:49 AM »

Jesus fucking Christ, will everyone just calm down?

tweek, you're article is not found. I want to read it, fix it, damn it. Also, I'm not responsible for you baiting 12, don't drag me into something between the two of you.

12, if you're offended that's fine, but until you know for sure how offended I am don't drag me into it.

I think the both of you are acting like four-year-olds, and I think the both of you should shut up and got to YOUR ROOMS!
|>

Ok, I've had my piece of the excitement. I'm done.

Wait... Just so you guys know, we savages are devising a plan to retake North America. It starts with a breeding program so that we'll look more like you and fall below your savage-radar. Then we'll kick your asses back into the ocean just when you think we're gone and you're safe.

Now... I'm done.

12AX7

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2009, 08:35:30 AM »

12, if you're offended that's fine, but until you know for sure how offended I am don't drag me into it.

I didn't drag you into anything, dear. YOU YOURSELF said "savage- that's right up there with prairie nigger". I even quoted it to point out why I suggested he apologize. Don't act like this is somehow MY argument. I'm not a Native American. I couldn't actually care less what people call you. But I won't sit by and let one member blatantly insult another. If you weren't insulted; fine. Big girl. You aren't the only member to possibly read these threads, however, and being as how the 'insult' is directed at Native Americans in general and was posted in a public forum; it is highly possible another member reads him using the term 'savages' and is offended. The point is; it was unacceptable.
   All he ( or YOU) had to do was say, "We talked. We're good. He was just fucking with me and kidding around" and I wouldn't have had anything else to say. But nobody wanted to set things straight; only to argue. So there ya go.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 11:40:20 PM by 12AX7 »

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2009, 09:08:19 AM »

We talked, we're good, he was just fucking around and kidding with me.
And by the way, I already apologized in private message. 

I don't think either one of you had your heads right, but that's just MHO.

Clear_Runway

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »

I'd like to be called "savage" it sounds cool :-P

Speaking of that term, didnt Jefferson call indians "merciless indian savages" in the Declaration of Independance?
i have a freind whos an indian and we like to joke about that.
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/

Probie

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +223/-5
  • The natural nap catalyst
    • View Profile
    • SoggyBlog
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2009, 11:27:29 AM »

I have a friend who is an Actual Indian. She wouldn't mind being called Indian lol, however we started a joke a little while ago were we would say racist things to each other (more making fun of racists than anything else). It was funny at first, but a few of us think the joke is over now, it's making us feel bad.  :|
// ------- Probie ------- //
// ----------------------- //
// --- T3H GEEKERY --- //
// ----------------------- //
www.niccisixx.com - I can put this here, because I'm awesome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3