The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 01:52:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 179
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Not really a flame, just a real big " W7F? "  (Read 2406 times)

12AX7

Not really a flame, just a real big " W7F? "
« on: June 28, 2009, 12:25:32 PM »

Is it me; or does it seem this company still doesn't "get" WHY they have a website? To me, the bolded
requests below are on par with having an online store where customers must print out the order forms and
mail them in with a check. W7F? Maybe their printer is down?

Can anyone clue me in on why a company would even need a paper copy of a form; when everything
else (your account info, bank info [if provided], etc.) is online (on their site) anyway? I mean, it's
obviously not a case of "we're not putting ANYTHING sensitive on the web" - your entire account and
history is there; as well as the ability to pay bills. So it isn't a security issue. I believe the courts have
already accepted certain actions as an 'electronic signature'; so it isn't a need to have an inked signature.
What then? Are they not aware the same form can be filled in online and THEY can print it if paper is
needed?

I'm just curious as why a business would have customers bother with such (paper forms and snail mail)
when they have an operating secure website.

. . . anybody?

Bank Draft

Bank drafts are available through Amicalola Electric Membership Corporation.   Anyone who is a member may have the convenience of paying his or her electric bill each month by bank draft.  All you have to do is notify your bank that we will be drafting  your checking account each month for your electric bill; then complete the form and return it with your next bill payment.  All future bills will be drafted until you request to be removed from the draft service. To obtain a form click here, print and mail back in. 

Credit Card Debit

Credit card debit is available through Amicalola Electric Membership Corporation.  Anyone who is a member may have the convenience of paying his or her bill each month by credit card.  We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover credit cards.  To be on the credit card debit program, simply complete the form and return it with your next bill payment.  All future bills will be debited until you request to be removed from the automatic service. To obtain a form to sign up for credit card debit click here, print and mail back in.

Levelized Billing

Amicalola Electric Membership Corporation offers levelized billing for their members.  In order to qualify for levelized billing, an AEMC member must have a minimum billing history of 12 months and a zero balance with no record of late charges or cutoff notices.  Levelized billing is determined by using your current month's usage in kilowatt hours of consumption.  To this we add the previous 11 months of actual kilowatt usage and divide by 12, getting an average of your kilowatt consumption.   Your bill is based on this average which is recalculated every month, dropping the 13th month and adding the current to allow a rolling 12 month history. To sign up you will need to fill out a form and mail it back in.  There are two options, you can sign up for levelized billing with bank draft, or you can sign up for levelized billing without bank draft, just click on which one you prefer in order to get a form you can print out and mail in.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
Re: Not really a flame, just a real big " W7F? "
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 07:36:13 PM »

Because they fired their IT staff and now have no one capable of operating said website.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

Socrates

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +123/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 07:02:53 AM »

Having dealt with these kinds of things from the other side I'd be willing to bet there is a policy to have the signed form on file.

They just haven't reviewed that policy since this new-fangled web thingee became popular.

"We've always done it this way."
--this space intentionally left blank--

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 02:16:08 PM »

"We've always done it this way."

That.

You could probably safely bet that there's at least one or two IT guys on staff there that have been trying to convince them to switch to an all electronic model, and fail every time they try, complete with lots of banging of heads. 

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Cake

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 01:45:16 AM »

lol I like how he spelled Weird Tingly Feeling with a 7. nice...
Sarcasm... bc you're too far to strangle.