The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 07:20:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129553
  • Total Topics: 7150
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: How many bodies is a "no-knock warrant" worth and  (Read 3186 times)

12AX7

How many bodies is a "no-knock warrant" worth and
« on: September 24, 2009, 03:16:14 PM »

How many bodies is a "no-knock warrant" worth and just what in the hell do they think a citizen is going to do at 2:30 AM when several unidentified individuals smash your front door and come in? I would've done the same thing had I had a chance to get guns-on-target. They act like "OMG!!! He SHOT at the POLICE?!?!?!?!! What a heinous criminal!! Poor police officers!!!"
  I'm sorry, but I've no real sympathy for the officers. I *really* don't like the idea that a group of armed officers of the State can enter a private residence in this fashion. No-knock? 2:30am? SWAT?
 :x

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/090924_four_police_officers_shot_new_jersey

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
Re: How many bodies is a "no-knock warrant" worth and
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 03:25:02 PM »

I'm sure all the details didn't make it into the story.  I would assume there was a reason why they did a 'a no knock' warrant.  The fact that the dude got off many shots means he was packing and anticipating the raid to begin with.  I chalk it all up to our country's horrible 'war' on drugs.  Anything that can be manufactured will have a supply as long as there is a demand.

12AX7

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 03:31:27 PM »

Oh, I'm sure all the details aren't there; but that's sort of irrelevant. I can't think of ANY reason to forcefully break into someone's home unannounced at 2:30am. He could have been apprehended at any time; in any location. Using SWAT shows that they expected him to return fire upon entry into his home. Why not wait til he sits down in his car and closes the door, about to leave the house? One car behind him, one/two officers on either side; barrels to the face. Done.
  THEN -using proper legal procedures, of course; enter the home and conduct a search.  What was the point of violently busting into his home at 2:30am? That it was somehow necessary just doesn't fly.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »

That does seem unnecessarily confrontational.  The only thing I can think of as a reason for that would be that they thought him a danger to the general public and were reluctant for a broad daylight public takedown (fearing that he might open fire on the street and innocents might be harmed).

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

12AX7

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 03:42:38 PM »

Well, as I said; apparently they know plenty about him; then they could take him down almost any where at any time. You know, it also doesn't say if they ever approached him previously; or that he had any idea they were after him. The police aren't after me; but I can assure you that if I'm downstairs working and someone kicks in my front door at 2;30am; I am most likely going to kill one or more before I get got. Exactly WHO it is is of secondary importance with an entry like that.

Clear_Runway

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 04:38:25 PM »

they wanted to catch him by surprise, obviously. in the same way one would rob a house at night.

this guy must have been awake already, those SWAT teams like to blitzkreig and theres no way he woke up, found a gun, and managed to shoot four guys in the small window of time he had.
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/

12AX7

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 07:25:54 PM »

I think what the authorities need is a SQUAT team. Here's how it would work: A squad of heavily armed police break into the house and take a shit in the living room.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 08:13:45 PM »

Now, on the other hand...

just "wow."

http://www2.wspa.com/spa/news/local/article/chris_cato_interviews_wellford_mayor_sallie_peake_about_a_new_chase_policy/27034/

Here's my question to the mayor:

What? . . .

Seriously, what in the hell is she talking about?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 08:15:32 PM by Novice »
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Clear_Runway

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 08:47:06 PM »

One of the worst knee-jerk reactions I've ever seen. What's she gonna do when some murder victims wife sues the city because the police officer couldn't arrest a fleeing criminal?
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/