The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 04:51:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129555
  • Total Topics: 7152
  • Online Today: 270
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Video Help  (Read 1869 times)

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
Video Help
« on: March 10, 2010, 09:39:57 AM »

Hey guys, I joined your forum cause it looks cool and I need help so I hope you will drop everything to work on my problem.

I have a Panasonic SDR-H40P video camera.  I've had it for about 2 years and haven't been able to get the videos off it.  I lost the software disk, but looking around the internet, I found that the software was crap and it's not worth looking for.

I finally figured out how to get the videos onto my computer yesterday but have two problems.

1-  The files are huge.  Are they supposed to be that big?  The smallest clip I found was about 20 seconds long and it's 22MB.  Is there a way to make them smaller?

2-  Can someone recommend a video editing software that is very easy to use and relatively inexpensive?  I don't mind paying some money for it if I know that I'll be able to use it.

Oh yeah and the files are .MOD and .MOI.  I read that you can just change the .MOD's to .MPG's and they'll play fine.  I tried that and it will play on WMP on my laptop but not my PC for some reason.  What are the .MOI's?
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Re: Video Help
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:22:06 AM »

1) I have a helmet cam that records an hour of video in low quality.  That produces a 2gig file.
You can reduce the size of the files by converting the video to some other format.

I use ErightSoft's SUPER for converting video.  I think the hardest part about using this software is finding the download link.

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
On that page, look for (near the bottom) "Start Downloading SUPER ©"  Click that link
On that page, look for (near the top) "download and use" Click that link
On that page, look for (near the bottom) " Download SUPER © setup file"

Once you have it, there's extensive instructions out there for how to convert various file types.

2) If you're just looking for converting the format, the above will handle that.  If you're looking for other editing capabilities, I'll let someone else answer.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Clear_Runway

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 10:39:47 AM »

the moi's contain timestamp data, which the camera combines with the video when the file is being played on the camera, this eliminates home videos with permanent timestamps. 22mb isnt all that big, but there are a bunch of ways to lower the quality. the mpg trick works on vlc as well as wmp, I've never had a computer that wouldn't take it.
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 01:55:28 PM »

Ok so I'm understanding a little better.  That file size isn't obscene.  I wanted to put a bunch of clips together and email it to people.  The limit on gmail is 25MB so I wouldn't be able to.  That's why I thought something didn't seem right.  But I just don't know much about video.  I guess I can upload so they can download.  And there is probably a setting on the camera to lower the quality.

Thank you guys for the help.  I'm going to check out VideoReDo.  If anyone else has a suggestion for video editing software, let me know.

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 02:04:41 PM »

I think the reason I can't play them on this computer is that I don't have sound. 

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 12:32:05 PM »

I don't know about editing, but if they are mpg files you can compress them in order to bring down the size, maybe down enough that they are email-able, without noticably killing the quality.

Handbrake (www.handbrake.fr) is my preferred tool for video conversion.

Also, no sound should probably not prohibit you from viewing the file so your issue is something else.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."