The Geek Forum

• May 18, 2024, 02:28:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129642
  • Total Topics: 7190
  • Online Today: 105
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Have I mentioned that my ISP sucks?  (Read 1335 times)

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Have I mentioned that my ISP sucks?
« on: October 12, 2004, 08:57:31 AM »

I'm having what is quite clearly a DNS problem lately, and, seeing as how it's now been going on for several days, I finally forced myself to call my wretched ISP to find out how much longer this will be going on or if they had any alternates for me to use.

And of course they were their usual helpful selves.

Her:  Thank you for calling <isp> customer service, how can I help you?

Me:  Yeah, I was wondering when the DNS problems that are going on will be sorted out?

Her:  DNS problems?

Me:  Yes.  Since Friday night, we've been having DNS issues, and I was wondering if you could either give me a timeframe for when they'll be working normally again, or if you could give me an alternative DNS to try.

Her:  If you are experiencing a slowdown in your internet connection, the best thing to do is to refresh your modem.  Can you do that now?

Me:  I rebooted my modem twice.  Since that's the only thing you guys ever tell us to do, that's something I do well before I ever call you.

Her:  Well we are not aware of any DNS problems; if you refresh your modem I'm sure that will take care of the issue.

Me:  I already did.  The problem is still there.

Her:  Well you should do it now.

Me:  I'm not at home right now.  I don't NEED to "refresh" my modem.  That's not the problem.  I just need an alternet DNS.

Her:  We don't have any others, and the ones we have are working fine.

Me:  No they aren't.

Her:  Yes they are.

Me:  Look, do you think I'd subject myself to you guys' ridiculously inept support if I wasn't having any problems?  There is a problem with your domain name server and I'd like it either fixed, or substituted.

Her:  Well nobody has reported any DNS issues.

Me:  I AM REPORTING ONE NOW.

Her:  Uh.... what, exactly, is the problem then?

Me:  I type the URL to a website... ANY website... and I immediately get a "server could not be found" message.  BUT, if I type in the IP address instead of the domain name, the site loads fine.

Her:  What browser are you using, sir?

Me:  I'm using Firefox at home-- wait, what does THAT have to do with anything?  This isn't a browser issue--

Her:  We only support Internet Explorer.

Me: THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY BROWSER.  This is a DNS problem.  Do you know what a DNS problem is?  

Her:  No, sir.

Me:  Can I talk to someone there that DOES know what I'm talking about, please?

Her:  There isn't anyone else--

Me: Yeah, I know.  I've tried getting information out of you people before, and it's nearly impossible.  Look, my number where I'm at right now is <work number>.  Have someone that knows what I'm talking about call me back so I can get some answers.

Her:  Okay.  I'll have someone get back to you.

[TRANSLATION:  "If you call and bitch two or three more times, we might have someone call you back, otherwise, don't hold your breath."]

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

avalanche

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.woodcontour.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 09:14:51 AM »

Post phone call conversation:

Her: Some guy just called up and tried to get information out of me so that he can hack our servers.
Her friend in the next cube: OMG! Are you sure?
Her: Yes.  He said something about IP addresses and DNS services or something like that.
Her friend in the next cube: Did you write it in the log?
Her: Yes.  And, would you believe that the line in the log book right above that was about the same guy?
Her friend in the next cube: Some people just never give up.
Her:  I told him I would have someone who knows what they're talking about call him back.
Her friend in the next cube: LOL!  That's my favourite... well... after, "You need to cycle your modem.", and "It must be your router.  You'll need to contact the manufacturer of the router."  So, I guess it's my third favourite.
Her:  I've always been fond of, "We don't support _______" and I was actually able to work that into the call.
Her friend in the next cube:  And that's why you're the supervisor!

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 09:18:06 AM »

Quote from: avalanche
Post phone call conversation:

Her: Some guy just called up and tried to get information out of me so that he can hack our servers.
Her friend in the next cube: OMG! Are you sure?
Her: Yes.  He said something about IP addresses and DNS services or something like that.
Her friend in the next cube: Did you write it in the log?
Her: Yes.  And, would you believe that the line in the log book right above that was about the same guy?
Her friend in the next cube: Some people just never give up.
Her:  I told him I would have someone who knows what they're talking about call him back.
Her friend in the next cube: LOL!  That's my favourite... well... after, "You need to cycle your modem.", and "It must be your router.  You'll need to contact the manufacturer of the router."  So, I guess it's my third favourite.
Her:  I've always been fond of, "We don't support _______" and I was actually able to work that into the call.
Her friend in the next cube:  And that's why you're the supervisor!

Here's more what I suspect is actually being said post-call:

Her:  What's a DNS?
Her friend in the next cube:  I don't know.  Why?
Her:  This guy just wanted us to fix it for him.
Her friend in the next cube:  What?  What does he think we are, an auto mechanic shop?
Her:  *laughs* Yeah!  *crumples slip of paper with my phone number on it and throws it away*

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

avalanche

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.woodcontour.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 09:47:48 AM »

Her: What's D-N-S?
Her Friend: Heh... that's easy. Don't kNow Shit.  My boyfriend calls me that all the time.