The Geek Forum

• May 13, 2024, 03:36:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129629
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 191
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Shocked  (Read 2309 times)

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +72/-1
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
Shocked
« on: August 27, 2006, 11:09:27 AM »

A friend of mine died of a drug overdose yesterday.  I wrote a blog entry about it.

Has anybody had a similar experience?  I know that most geeks tend to keep away from drugs, but perhaps you can relate.
"Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!" -- JR "Bob" Dobbs

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Re: Shocked
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 12:31:46 PM »

Tried to answer this post a couple of different ways, but I'll just distill it to this:

Sorry about your friend.  :-(

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 05:50:09 PM »

I don't personally know the feeling, but my dad does. Everyone in my dad's neighborhood has died from either a drug overdose, aids, or a shootout with the cops. He's the only one left.

Such things happen I'm afraid.  :|
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 03:13:20 AM »

Everyone in my dad's neighborhood has died from either a drug overdose, aids, or a shootout with the cops.

Weird Tingly Feeling?? Rough neighborhood?

It's sad that your friend has passed on, but it's probably better to dwell on the good instead of the bad.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 10:39:56 AM »

Weird Tingly Feeling?? Rough neighborhood?

It's sad that your friend has passed on, but it's probably better to dwell on the good instead of the bad.

Yeah it was a slum in Massachusetts.

But I dunno, it's probably better not to dwell on good or bad, because if you dwell on the good it'll make you miss them.
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 10:41:44 AM »

I'm not really dwelling on either right now.  Just not sure where to place my feelings, you know?

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 11:22:27 AM »

My condolences.  I knew a guy in college who killed himself with a gas oven.  No ODs yet.  Oh wait, there was this one guy who I sorta knew in HS who ODed freshman year in college, actually it wasn't OD it was MI due to cocaine use, kinda like Len Bias

derry

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 08:25:56 PM »

I know about Death. You've just gotta put it in context. Cancer ain't pretty either. Death is calling us all...and if you really break it down, life for most people amounts to "avoidance of death". That's what life is for most people. That's sad!!! People live in constant fear...of their next meal, of losing their jobs, terror attacks, retirement 401k crap, investments, etc. It's all about Death. A man that does not let the fear of Death control him is truly free.

Some people drive while talking on their cellphones and eating a big mac....others smoke crack...others get struck by lightning while golfing in the rain. None is better than the other.  Life is momentary...a flicker. Death and non-physical-existence reign supreme in the material world we "know".

My condolences to the loss of your friend!!! That is always hard.  I'm sorry for your loss. My recommendation however, is to remember him as friend that was "living". It's a rare thing.

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 09:09:25 PM »

I know about Death. You've just gotta put it in context. Cancer ain't pretty either. Death is calling us all...and if you really break it down, life for most people amounts to "avoidance of death". That's what life is for most people. That's sad!!! People live in constant fear...of their next meal, of losing their jobs, terror attacks, retirement 401k crap, investments, etc. It's all about Death. A man that does not let the fear of Death control him is truly free.

Some people drive while talking on their cellphones and eating a big mac....others smoke crack...others get struck by lightning while golfing in the rain. None is better than the other.  Life is momentary...a flicker. Death and non-physical-existence reign supreme in the material world we "know".

My condolences to the loss of your friend!!! That is always hard.  I'm sorry for your loss. My recommendation however, is to remember him as friend that was "living". It's a rare thing.

You're fucking...deep.

But seriously, I understand what you're saying, and I think it's absolutely true.  We all live in constant fear, and it's absolutely ridiculous.  If people were more open to going with the flow and treating their serious shit the right way, we'd be living in a much better world.

I thank you for your consolences.  I'm starting to think about what a great person he was, and how he's a part of everyone who knew him.