The Geek Forum

• May 17, 2024, 01:10:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129634
  • Total Topics: 7189
  • Online Today: 116
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stupid Sexy Flanders and The Order of The Phoenix  (Read 8096 times)

JuggaloGeek

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +11/-17
    • View Profile
Stupid Sexy Flanders and The Order of The Phoenix
« on: July 16, 2007, 04:52:18 PM »

I just watched it and I have to admit I was disappointed. They pretty much bum rushed the story. 
Theres only one type of music worth calling music....Im talking about the funk.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Sexy Flanders and The Order of The Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 05:23:38 PM »

They didn't really have a choice.  The book was 800 some odd pages long.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

JuggaloGeek

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 05:29:31 PM »

I know but they could have at lest stuck with the basics.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 05:50:38 PM »

I know but they could have at lest stuck with the basics.
Has the Order been established?  Did the Death Eaters escape?  Did Dumbledore and Voldemort fight?  Did Fudge witness Voldemort's return to the Ministry?  Is Black dead?

The answer to all of those questions is yes, and so the basics are established enough to advance the story.  Which is all they could ever have done with that particular book anyway.  It was detailed as hell, and served mainly to fill in background, round out characters and advance the story line ever so slightly.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

pickled kitten

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +108/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 06:31:30 PM »

as a fan girl i was disappointed. the movie was good for what it NEEDED to be but still felt rushed. it's just the way things like this go. oh well.....back to reading the books ^_^

/SARCASM <--- Fixed the problem ;)

JuggaloGeek

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 08:09:44 PM »

Has the Order been established?  Did the Death Eaters escape?  Did Dumbledore and Voldemort fight?  Did Fudge witness Voldemort's return to the Ministry?  Is Black dead?

The minister was never supposed to see Lord Voldemort. He was supposed to come in after Lord Voldemort left Harrys' body.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 03:35:17 AM by Dark Shade »

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 08:58:08 PM »

The minister was never supposed to see Lord Voldemort. He was supposed to come in after Lord Voldemort left Harrys' body.
Reread the book.  The minister catches sight of Voldemort at the tail end of the battle, as Voldemort is leaving.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 09:33:59 PM by Vespertine »

JuggaloGeek

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 09:01:50 PM »

I'm looking at it right now the minister comes in right after Lord Voldermort leaves.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 10:30:33 PM »

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Muggles%27_Guide_to_Harry_Potter/Characters/Cornelius_Fudge

An excerpt from what's contained at the link: "Finally, at the end of the battle at the Ministry, Fudge actually sees the returned Voldemort, who is rescuing Bellatrix Lestrange, one of his supporters. Fudge blusters at Dumbledore, but eventually must concede that Dumbledore was right all along, and that Voldemort has returned."

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 07:00:43 AM »

This was my least favourite book, thus it was my least favourite movie. The movie was well done, don't get me wrong. It is a good reprresentation of the book over all. This phase of the storyline changes significantly in the sense that the Stupid Sexy Flanders "cuteness" elements are removed and instead replaced by more Harry whining. Harry feels alone, depressed, and abandonded by his true hero Dumbledore. They take away the Ron and Hermione childish bickering/pre-teen love fest and focus more on how Harry's feeling about things. Order of the Phoenix is really all about setting things up for what's to come. You don't see much of Snapes, Malfoy, Hagrid and some other professors. You don't see much of Black really, which makes his death not that regretable because you didn't get to grow attached to the character.  It's not as exciting as the others in terms of the adventures Harry and his friends go through, but that was to be expected. The next part of the story was my favourite. I'm looking forward to that movie.

I have to say that the actress that played Dolores did an absolutely fantastic job. I mean, you were in the theatre and you just wanted to get up and punsh her in the face! She was awesome! One thing I regret is how they didn't feature Bellatrix enough. I remember when I read the book, I thought she was one bad ass wicked bitch and I loved it. She didn't get enough exposure in this film. I also didn't see enough of the black house elf with his snarky remarks and I was looking forward to see the portrait of Black's mother bitchin about muck bloods, but that didn't make the cut either.

I didn't care much for Hagrid's half brother considering that the whole story around Hagrids trip was summed up in one sentence. And then he's got this little souvenir with him and Harry and friends have to watch over him (which they don't). They just show up when they're in trouble. Seems to me like this whole storyline added nothing to the plot, nor does it affect the next book plot in any way (if I remember correctly). It was a just distraction from the main plot and it could have been left out. It would have been relevant if he had stomped on Dolores and killed her, but since the centaurs dealt with her, he just had no impact. Maybe he makes an apperance in the final book?

Also, when Ron's brothers left the school in the middle of a fireworks storm, it appears as if they were simply being trouble makers when in fact they were calling it quits and were starting their own business. Altought this isn't relevant to the good vs evil plot, the book did refrence their entreprise frequently. It was a mystery for most of the book until they finally let you in on the secret that they sold so many of their creations in school that they had acquired enough coin to start their own joke store. I suppose the film could only be so long so they had to cut stuff out so that's fine.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 07:03:48 AM by TheJudge »

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 10:35:25 AM »

What is this "Hairy Potter" everyone speaks of?
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 11:03:35 AM »

JuggaloGeek

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 02:32:24 PM »

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Muggles%27_Guide_to_Harry_Potter/Characters/Cornelius_Fudge

An excerpt from what's contained at the link: "Finally, at the end of the battle at the Ministry, Fudge actually sees the returned Voldemort, who is rescuing Bellatrix Lestrange, one of his supporters. Fudge blusters at Dumbledore, but eventually must concede that Dumbledore was right all along, and that Voldemort has returned."

Ok I realize where were getting messed up. You have the American version I have the original British edition.   

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 03:34:46 PM »

This was my least favourite book, thus it was my least favourite movie. The movie was well done, don't get me wrong. It is a good reprresentation of the book over all. This phase of the storyline changes significantly in the sense that the Stupid Sexy Flanders "cuteness" elements are removed and instead replaced by more Harry whining. Harry feels alone, depressed, and abandonded by his true hero Dumbledore. They take away the Ron and Hermione childish bickering/pre-teen love fest and focus more on how Harry's feeling about things. Order of the Phoenix is really all about setting things up for what's to come. You don't see much of Snapes, Malfoy, Hagrid and some other professors. You don't see much of Black really, which makes his death not that regretable because you didn't get to grow attached to the character.  It's not as exciting as the others in terms of the adventures Harry and his friends go through, but that was to be expected. The next part of the story was my favourite. I'm looking forward to that movie.

I have to say that the actress that played Dolores did an absolutely fantastic job. I mean, you were in the theatre and you just wanted to get up and punsh her in the face! She was awesome! One thing I regret is how they didn't feature Bellatrix enough. I remember when I read the book, I thought she was one bad ass wicked bitch and I loved it. She didn't get enough exposure in this film. I also didn't see enough of the black house elf with his snarky remarks and I was looking forward to see the portrait of Black's mother bitchin about muck bloods, but that didn't make the cut either.

I didn't care much for Hagrid's half brother considering that the whole story around Hagrids trip was summed up in one sentence. And then he's got this little souvenir with him and Harry and friends have to watch over him (which they don't). They just show up when they're in trouble. Seems to me like this whole storyline added nothing to the plot, nor does it affect the next book plot in any way (if I remember correctly). It was a just distraction from the main plot and it could have been left out. It would have been relevant if he had stomped on Dolores and killed her, but since the centaurs dealt with her, he just had no impact. Maybe he makes an apperance in the final book?

Also, when Ron's brothers left the school in the middle of a fireworks storm, it appears as if they were simply being trouble makers when in fact they were calling it quits and were starting their own business. Altought this isn't relevant to the good vs evil plot, the book did refrence their entreprise frequently. It was a mystery for most of the book until they finally let you in on the secret that they sold so many of their creations in school that they had acquired enough coin to start their own joke store. I suppose the film could only be so long so they had to cut stuff out so that's fine.

I think it's insane that they try and make books that have more than 800 pages into a single movie. The movies would be ten times better if after #2 they split them all up into two-parters.
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

JuggaloGeek

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 03:36:22 PM »

True.  It would be a lot better. Just like what George Lucas did with Star Wars.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 03:38:21 PM »

Yeah, that was a good adaptation of the book.

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 03:39:12 PM »

I have to agree with The Judge in his assessment of the book.

Didn't Harry loan Fred and George Weasley the money from his prize money?
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

JuggaloGeek

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 03:41:21 PM »

I have to agree with The Judge in his assessment of the book.

Didn't Harry loan Fred and George Weasley the money from his prize money?

Yea that should have happened right at the end of the 4th movie.

12AX7

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »

What is this "Hairy Potter" everyone speaks of?

A piliferous agronomist?

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 04:25:43 PM »

Yeah, that was a good adaptation of the book.
*Vespertine snorts

I love it when you do stuff like this.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 04:52:57 PM »

Sometimes it just pops out.

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 05:54:33 PM »

I thought this was who you all were talking about.

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 06:42:12 PM »

*Vespertine snorts

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 10:53:58 PM »

He didn't loan it in the American version, he gave it to them to get it off his hands because he felt guilty about Cedric's death.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

JuggaloGeek

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 10:56:24 PM »

Well actually he gives it to them for free in both versions with only one hook buy Ron new dress robes.
Pages: [1] 2