The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 07:08:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 158
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Do I have a Lemon?  (Read 17379 times)

RelandR

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +91/-4
  • This portion of the page intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
Re: Do I have a Lemon?
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2007, 05:06:10 PM »

Chris, (there is a lot of backreading here but...) best as I can scan and see you haven't pursued the lemon law angle ... seems that would have better muscle than the BBB you recently mentioned .... I'd scheckitout.

Under the used car lemon law, used car dealers are required to provide warranties on every used car that is sold for more than $3,000, that is less than seven [7] years old, has not been declared a total loss by an insurance company and has an odometer reading of 100,000 miles or less. For more information please call the Lemon Law Unit at 973-504-6226 or write to P.O. Box 45039, Newark, New Jersey 07101.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2007, 12:55:34 AM »

Thanks for the Lemon Law advice. I decided to click one of the PDF links there, and it turned out to be pretty handy. It seems as though since I identified the problem during the warranty period, they are still liable to fix it - which they did not do, of course. Additionally, after three unsuccessful attempts of fixing the defect, I may be entitled to getting a full refund for the car.

If they try charging me the 1,000 to change the coil package (Which I know they will), I'm not getting it done, and I'm calling the number listed in that PDF file to get more advice. I'm tired of their bullshit.

Looks like things could get pretty interesting soon!

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2007, 09:24:55 PM »

A little update here:

I took the car in the morning at the crack of dawn because that's when the guy said that they'd be able to take a look at it for me. Sure enough, 7:30 rolls around, I was there.

After telling the guy what was going on and looking through all the paperwork that I had with me, he insisted that the entire coil package needed to be changed, and then the problem should go away. Of course, this fix would cost me about 1,000, and was not really a guaranteed fix. I didn't like the idea of me shelling out the money, and then three months later, run into the same problem All they'd be able to say at that point would be something like, "lol, sorry, I guess it wasn't the coil package! Thanks for the monies!"

So I let him and his guys do their thing. He told me it should take about an hour to figure out what was going on with the thing. 8:30 comes and goes, nothing. 9:30, same thing. Nothing. It wasn’t until around 11AM and two attempts at contacting him was I able to get a hold of him, and when I finally did, he said his guys were still looking at it.

So around 12:40 in the afternoon I get a call from him. The news he was going to tell me could not have been any better. He told me that they were able to figure out what was wrong with the car.

I believe it is a component within the cylinder. Sadly, I don't know exactly what it is that needs to be changed, but it is a part that they have to order, and it is going to take them several days to replace it once it arrives.

A feeling of victory over came me while I was on the phone with the service manager. Finally, I had some kind of answer as to why this kept on happening.

The best part to this whole story is the fact that since I have an extended warranty, they are going to be forced to eat the time and money it takes to fix the engine. I must say, I think this almost makes up for everything that they managed to do to me over this two year period.

Maybe after a few times of having to shell out several thousand dollars worth of repairs, they'll get the picture and stop selling junk cars, or at least inspect them before reselling them.

If this does not fix the problem, I can tell you without a doubt I am going to cite the Lemon Law on this thing. I'll be sure to fill out the paperwork and hand it in before even giving them a chance to explain themselves.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 09:29:50 PM by Chris »

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2007, 11:59:53 PM »

So the other day I put my car into reverse and I noticed a shudder when it first starts to move in reverse, but then stops after about 5 feet.

FUCK.

Not to mention the catalytic converter is rattling again like it did before they replaced the old one two years ago.

What the fuck. I sware I have the worst luck when it comes to cars. I think I should get this stuff fixed and sell the damn thing. It's pretty much a new car now with all the parts I have had put into the thing over the last two years.

Anyone have any suggestions on a mid-sized SUV that isn't made by Ford?

Socrates

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +123/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2007, 06:56:09 AM »

So the other day I put my car into reverse and I noticed a shudder when it first starts to move in reverse, but then stops after about 5 feet.

FUCK.

Not to mention the catalytic converter is rattling again like it did before they replaced the old one two years ago.

What the fuck. I sware I have the worst luck when it comes to cars. I think I should get this stuff fixed and sell the damn thing. It's pretty much a new car now with all the parts I have had put into the thing over the last two years.

Anyone have any suggestions on a mid-sized SUV that isn't made by Ford?

We are quite happy with our new Rav 4
--this space intentionally left blank--

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2007, 01:30:33 PM »

My brother likes his Toyota Highlander and I have several friends who have had no problems with their Subaru Foresters.

Merc

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Stick Death
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2007, 01:56:10 PM »

I suggest going foreign for your new car. Some how, with their degraded metal and tiny islands, they are making better cars in larger quantities. *shrugs* Be willing to sacrifice power though. A V6 isn't powerful, but the design of their engines and drive train are getting better and better with each model.

pickled kitten

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +108/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2007, 01:05:03 PM »

Well most people don't need more than a V6 anyway unless you're planning on hauling heavy things and such. I definitely agree on going with a foreign car though. 

/SARCASM <--- Fixed the problem ;)

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2007, 03:19:10 PM »

Funny, I purchased 2 brand new foreing cars over the years. My last purchase howeevr was a chev, and that's the one that gave me no problems.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2007, 09:03:55 PM »

Last time I changed the oil, the fuckers must have used an air gun to give the drain bolt a few extra turns because it was next to impossible to get off. I used a hammer along with a ratchet and even that didn't get the job done. It was only about ten minutes later of persistent tugging at the stuck bolt that did it give.

So tonight after getting out of class at 9PM, I went to my car, opened the door like I normally would have, got into it, and went to shut the door. As I went to shut the door, it bounced as if something had obstructed it from closing. At first I thought maybe I had gotten my foot stuck in the door and just didn't register the pain yet, but after examining the door more closely, I noticed the latch was stuck in the closed position, even though the door was open. FUCK. It's late, it's dark, it's hot, and I've been awake since 3AM - I just want to get home!

To make things short, after enough tampering I was finally able to coax the latch into opening, thus allowing me to close the door properly.

I sware, I could probably right a damn book with all the shit that this car has put me though.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2007, 09:21:34 AM »

Wow, you're like the king of the shitmobile!

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2008, 10:07:49 AM »

EGR Tube and adaptor - $156.06
Pages: 1 2 [3]