The Geek Forum

• May 13, 2024, 11:21:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
  • Total Members: 4953
  • Latest: Leonriv
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 146
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Transformers  (Read 17026 times)

12AX7

Re: Transformers
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2007, 04:59:07 PM »

You have a Beamer, too?

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2007, 05:10:35 PM »

I did, but it got balled by some freak.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

d_money

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +11/-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2007, 06:18:24 PM »

Along with transformers, the car "bumblebee" is being sold on eBay right now for over 30k. And that engine they show in the movie isn't the real engine in it.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2007, 09:48:12 PM »

Along with transformers, the car "bumblebee" is being sold on eBay right now for over 30k. And that engine they show in the movie isn't the real engine in it.
I'm sorry...what?  That makes no sense.  Do you realize that Bumblebee is a prototype of Chevy's new Camaro?  There are 4 of them in the world and they are worth, like, 500K EACH.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2007, 10:05:40 PM »

Bumblebee was always lame.
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

d_money

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2007, 11:26:59 PM »

Dude not the new camaro it turns into the orriginal old one. Quit tryin to flame me

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2007, 12:54:31 AM »

You think that was trying to flame you?  Let me tell you the same thing I've told some others around here.  Get over yourself.  When I decide that I've had enough of you, and subsequently rip into you, you'll definitely know it.  Until then, don't tell me what to do, and while you're at it, shut the fuck up.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2007, 01:38:16 AM »

Rawr.
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2007, 07:35:33 AM »

ZING!

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2007, 11:45:37 AM »

I need a cold shower.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2007, 12:55:51 PM »

VSUBs :thud:

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »

Dude not the new camaro it turns into the orriginal old one. Quit tryin to flame me

Don't call chicks 'dude'.

:lol:
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2007, 01:28:23 PM »

What, Lacerda is a dude?

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2007, 02:08:53 PM »

What, Lady Marmalade is a dude?

Curses! You beat me to it!  :lol:

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2007, 02:10:11 PM »

But the question is, can lacerda transform into a car, and if so does the transformation include a "kri kroo kroo kra kra" sound effect?

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2007, 02:14:52 PM »

Ten beaver tails on transformation. It's time to step up boys and girls!

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2007, 02:21:30 PM »

Kri kroo kroo kra kra!

d_money

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2007, 01:17:44 PM »

I don't think I'm the one that thinks so highly of myself....

xMasterJuicex

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2007, 03:59:16 PM »

I just got back from seeing Transformers. I think it was absolutely awesome. I grew up with my Transformer action figures and watching the cartoon. My favourite action figure franchise based film this year with out a doubt.
1-18-08
--Get ready--

JuggaloGeek

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2007, 04:03:02 PM »

I went and watched it 2 more times and every time it just gets better and better.
Theres only one type of music worth calling music....Im talking about the funk.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2007, 12:26:14 PM »

http://www.paperrobots1999.com/home.html

It doesn't get geekier than this. Build your own paper Optimus prime. And, yes, it transforms into a the truck!

pickled kitten

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +108/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2007, 12:37:24 PM »

AHAHAHAAAA

I just printed this out to fold during lunch and one of my *co-workers saw it.

Co-worker: "Hey, what's that? It looks like a Optimus Prime."
Me: "Yeah it is. It folds into a truck and everything!"
Co-worker: "DUDE! THAT'S FUCKING SWEET! CAN YOU SEND IT TO ME??????"
Me: "Sure, but don't you have a meeting with the investors today?"
Co-worker: "Yeah, but I guess I could do it tomorrow. Will you stop by my office later and show me what yours looks like?"
Me: "Yeah, just IM me when you're out of your big meetings"
Co-worker: "Awesome. Later."
Me: "Later."

*My "co-worker" is our director of finance. Sometimes I really really love working with a ton of geeks and nerds.

/SARCASM <--- Fixed the problem ;)

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2007, 03:21:09 PM »

Us finance types get it.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2007, 06:56:28 AM »

Some of my friends geek friends have been discussing the movie in another forum that shall not be named. I thought they had an interesting take so I'm posting the discussion here.

Quote from: Person1
Quote from: Person2
This movie was SO good.
It was shockingly good if you enter with low expectations.
can't wait for the next one!!!!

Well, I thought it was shocking, but 'good' was not the adjective I would reach for.  Maybe you can convince me of the error of my ways.

I'll tell you what I didn't like.

1) The camera was apparently operated by a child of 5 with ADD who had been force-fed 5 pounds of sugar.  Yes, the effects were great.  Would have been nice to actually see what was going on.

2) For a movie called 'Transformers', the human cast got the vast majority of the screen time.  And they were almost universally annoying.

3) Decepticons had no personality, period.  I know, Megatron had what... all of 5 lines?  Most of which were stupid.  They only existed as a plot device to cause big explosions.

4) Speaking of plot... it sucked.  The movie could not decide if it wanted to be an action film, some sort of teen-romance thing, a hacker film or what.  Why, with Decepticons in pursuit, did they drive into the middle of a city except to have a big firefight in a city?

5) Too many useless characters.  The Australian signal-analysis "expert" and her "only one hacker in the world" buddy are the best example of this.  They could have been cut entirely and nothing would have been lost.

6) Plot holes and plots that went nowhere.
    a) The jailbird juvie girlfriend.  What was the point of that, except for one sulky line?  Never resolved.
   b) Australian girl and her hacker
   c) How about the sequence where Starscream attacked the good guys in the city.  The american military sagely concludes that it must be an alian because 'no human pilot would fly below the rooftops in a city' (personally I'd think the fact that an F22 was attacking them in the first place might be a clue).  What happens 5 minutes later when a whole squadron of F22s arrives to blast Megatron?  Yep, right down to the street level.  No one seemed to think they must be aliens.

7) The Prime / Megatron battle was NOT SHOWN.  They made a big deal about setting it up and then cut away.  Cutting back later when Prime had (apparently) lost.

8 ) Prime was the only Autobot which much in the way of a speaking part.  And while he said the right things, I could not figure out for the life of me where he was getting this stuff from "protect the humans, etc".  I hadn't seen any humans worth protecting to that point.

Bumblebee, the transformer who gets along best with humans was not even allowed to speak.

9) I really didn't care for the new robot designs.  Far too many moving parts.  They looked like a mess when they transformed and were hard to tell apart in battle.   It doesn't bother me they were different than the originals, but the new designs were a mess.

Quote from: TheJudge
I have to agree with this analysis, but I still enjoyed the movie anyway. It could certainly have been way better tho.

I'm not that familiar with transformers. I used to watch it as a kid but don't remember much of it thanks to my poor memory. When bumbelbee transforms as a robot after the initial fight and "calls" the other autobots via a tranformer crest light signal, was that based on the original cartoon or were they just copying the bat signal?

Regarding point number 5, I totally agree. That was the first thing I said when I left. I'd say there's a good 20 minutes of screen time that was wasted because of the hot blond hacker and her playstation/rapper/hacker friend (who by the way says "Hey! There's a code in here! and all of a sudden you start seeing traqnsformer icons on his screen. Nice  :roll: ). They should have taken that whole storyline out completely. It could have meant an extra 20 minutes of action packed, "I'm not exactly sure what's going on but there's things spinning ans there's kri kroo kroo kra kra sound effects" fight scenes. Also, the characters were just not beleivable as hackers. What is this? The net?

I thought the initial attack on the military base by the helicopter decepticon (I'm not even hardcore enough to remember the name) was pretty sweet. The camera angles were actually good for that scene. You could see the robot wreak havok from a distance and it wasn't a constant "in your face" things spinning/explosions like the rest of the fight scenes. I thought the movie looked very promising after seeing that battle, but was very dissapointed with the subsequent battle scenes. It almost felt like they changed the director while filming.

When bumblebee changed from old to new, I didn't know tranformers had that power. I thought they were constructructed and designed in a specific way. I didn't know they could photocopy and replicate anything. Just like the little stereo decepticon that changed into a cell phone. But maybe they could actually do that in the cartoons and I just don't remember it.

I didn't care for the scene where the autobots were gathered around the kid's house "hiding" from the parents (while smashing stuff in the yard and peeking in the windows ith the high beems on).

I didn't really mind the new skins but would have preffered that they weren't brand cars but i can see how that geenrates filming budget.

Quote from: TheJudge
calls" the other autobots via a tranformer crest light signal, was that based on the original cartoon or were they just copying the bat signal?

Just a ripoff I think.

I thought the initial attack on the military base by the helicopter decepticon (I'm not even hardcore enough to remember the name) was pretty sweet.

Fully agree, and that scene actually got my hopes up.  It was done well.

When bumblebee changed from old to new, I didn't know tranformers had that power.

They didn't in the cartoon have that power.  I don't actually have a problem with it in the movie though, personally.  It's an interesting plot device.

I didn't care for the scene where the autobots were gathered around the kid's house "hiding" from the parents (while smashing stuff in the yard and peeking in the windows ith the high beems on).

I actually thought that scene was sort of funny and campy, and the only point in the film where there was any real humor involving the 'bots.  I know many people dislike this scene though.  The stupid conversation between the parents and the kid is what I hated during this scene.

Quote from: Person2
1) The camera was apparently operated by a child of 5 with ADD who had been force-fed 5 pounds of sugar.  Yes, the effects were great.  Would have been nice to actually see what was going on. 

I think they ran out of money at the end of the movie. 
2) For a movie called 'Transformers', the human cast got the vast majority of the screen time.  And they were almost universally annoying.

I think they were actually pretty close to the way I remember them from the old cartoon. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witwicky_family
The only person who isn't the same is the dad.. but that's ok.  Shia LeBoeuf was great.  I'm very happy that he's going to be the new Indy. 

See, you have to remember where you're coming from.  In a cartoon, it costs the same to animate an Autobot as it does a human.  In a massive real-life movie, the costs are completely out of whack.  So, you focus on the humans and tell the story through them.  It's actually the way that the first season of Transformers starts off.. as the Witwickys learn about the Autobots at the same time as the audience. 

3) Decepticons had no personality, period.  I know, Megatron had what... all of 5 lines?  Most of which were stupid.  They only existed as a plot device to cause big explosions.

No better reason to exist.  Megatron is frozen the whole time.. what can you expect?  Give it time.. .you know Starscream is gonna have some stuff to say in the sequel. 

4) Speaking of plot... it sucked.  The movie could not decide if it wanted to be an action film, some sort of teen-romance thing, a hacker film or what.  Why, with Decepticons in pursuit, did they drive into the middle of a city except to have a big firefight in a city?

Meh, I honestly thought that rocked.  Massive gunfights between robots and military personel on city streets is exactly what I wanted to see.  I wanted to see action and I got it.  That initial scene with the military base attack was absolutely stunning.  It's the best cgi vs real life battle i've ever seen.  Very impressed. 
Oh, it's also the first movie that I've ever seen a Spectre used, so that was cool. 

5) Too many useless characters.  The Australian signal-analysis "expert" and her "only one hacker in the world" buddy are the best example of this.  They could have been cut entirely and nothing would have been lost.

6) Plot holes and plots that went nowhere.
    a) The jailbird juvie girlfriend.  What was the point of that, except for one sulky line?  Never resolved.
   b) Australian girl and her hacker
   c) How about the sequence where Starscream attacked the good guys in the city.  The american military sagely concludes that it must be an alian because 'no human pilot would fly below the rooftops in a city' (personally I'd think the fact that an F22 was attacking them in the first place might be a clue).  What happens 5 minutes later when a whole squadron of F22s arrives to blast Megatron?  Yep, right down to the street level.  No one seemed to think they must be aliens.

Remembering that this is a movie about giant robots..... I'll agree with all of that.  I just didn't care.  I was completely willing to suspend any premise based in reality.  What should have been cut was the sector 7 junk.  That was dumb. 

7) The Prime / Megatron battle was NOT SHOWN.  They made a big deal about setting it up and then cut away.  Cutting back later when Prime had (apparently) lost. 

Again, ran out of money at the end.. either that, or they didn't trust the CGI guys to be able to pull off a full fight scene between CGI characters.. Look at Megatron vs. Jazz.  Wham bam, see ya later.  Wait for the sequel, then we'll see. 

8 ) Prime was the only Autobot which much in the way of a speaking part.  And while he said the right things, I could not figure out for the life of me where he was getting this stuff from "protect the humans, etc".  I hadn't seen any humans worth protecting to that point.

Bumblebee, the transformer who gets along best with humans was not even allowed to speak.

Ok, I'm sorry, but Bumblebee sucks.  Allowing him no lines was the best thing they could have done in this movie.  As it was, I thought he was actually cool.  If he had started talking.. well, then back in the toybox you go Bumblebee.  Lets face it, in the cartoon Bumblebee was Spike's personal driver and robotservant and little else.  It was his job to get them into trouble so that others could rescue them. 

9) I really didn't care for the new robot designs.  Far too many moving parts.  They looked like a mess when they transformed and were hard to tell apart in battle.   It doesn't bother me they were different than the originals, but the new designs were a mess.

When you look at where Transformers has been (did anyone here try to watch Energon???) you should pucker up and plant a big wet one on the producers and Michael Bay.  They stayed true to the original cartoon and added some real nice flash.  I can't wait to see more. 

To punish and enslave. - best tag line I've seen all year.  Woohoo Roadblock![/quote]

1) The camera was apparently operated by a child of 5 with ADD who had been force-fed 5 pounds of sugar. Yes, the effects were great. Would have been nice to actually see what was going on.

> I think they ran out of money at the end of the movie.

No, it was filmed in that style deliberately.  The more motion you have in a shot the harder it is to match-move and have it look right (and consequently the more it costs for post-production).  As chaotic as the camera was, that was some of the best looking CGI integration I've seen, even with the camera whipping around insanely.  It wasn't a budget issue, it was a poor choice in how to do it.

Umm, and for a movie with an estimated $150 million budget, I have little sympathy if they could not manage that sensibly.

Shia LeBoeuf was great. I'm very happy that he's going to be the new Indy.

He was ok.  Almost everyone else sucked, was extraneous or was entirely forgettable.

Remembering that this is a movie about giant robots.....

No, its a movie about a bunch of dumb humans with a number of giant robot cameos.  It if was actually a movie about giant robots I would have less of an issue.

No better reason to exist. Megatron is frozen the whole time.. what can you expect?

Yeah, and that was a brilliant plot choice.  Instead of running around doing.... well anything... he's an ice cube until the last 25 minutes.  Very good use of a potentially interesting character. 

I guess when it comes down to it... I could have been more forgiving if they even smoothed out the camera and let me SEE what was going on.  But they didn't even manage to get that part right.  There's just so little left to redeem this movie.

elf chang

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2007, 07:51:20 PM »

Transformers Theme is great,too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3