The Geek Forum

• June 03, 2024, 02:26:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129678
  • Total Topics: 7210
  • Online Today: 94
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: D&D ?  (Read 6240 times)

AppleJax

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +7/-1
    • View Profile
D&D ?
« on: June 20, 2008, 08:59:25 PM »

So, My boyfriend (who live I with) needs a fourth player for D&D and he invited me to play with his group of guy friends. Generally when the guys come over, I will bake something for them (I want to become a pastry chief, so its good practice) and then hang out for an hour or so, then l will typically try to leave so that they can have some guy time.

I have a couple concerns with starting to play:

1. I only have a vague idea of how to play D&D (though I am willing to learn) and I am not sure where to begin or if I'll even enjoy it. I have kind of played once and I was terribly confused.

2. Although, I am good friends with his guy friends I am worried about becoming that type of girlfriend that is always hanging around. I want my B/F to have some guy time, I mean we have been dating for three years and we live together.

Does anyone play D&D? Have any advice? Is this a good idea? Would it be rude, not to play?

Thanks!

The_FOO

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +61/-3
  • irc.hyperion.org:6667 #hn
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hyperion.org
Re: D&D ?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 09:26:33 PM »

Sounds like you're alright.

1) If you're not sure about something, I'm sure your BF and his friends will be happy to answer questions. It really depends on what version of D&D they're going to be playing. There's a brand new version out which I don't know a whole lot about. The number one thing to keep in mind is that the rules are a framework and you shouldn't worry too much about them. The point is to have fun pretending to be another person.

2) Have you mentioned any of that to your BF? It might be good to let him know that you don't want to intrude and/or be clingy. If they invited you to play then odds are they want you there though.
http://www.errorfm.com/efm.pls
More FOOlish than you'll ever be.

AppleJax

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 09:39:19 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement!  I think they are playing the D4 version. Do you play D&D? What do you think is the best class(?) or Race (?)

My BF is so sweet, he says "of course, I want you there". But he might just not want to hurt my feelings....

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 09:55:22 PM »

I haven't played in many moons. In the very early red and blue box days I used to almost always DM. In the AD&D/2E days I prefered to play a half-elf ranger. And I don't think I ever managed to play a game in the 3E days.

Just tell him you won't put out (if you're the putting out type. (not that there's anything wrong with not being easy)) unless he gives you the ring of infinite wishes. ;-)

AppleJax

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 10:44:17 PM »

Genius! Withholding sex is always the answer!

Blast! I am already withholding sex because he raids in WoW every night.... :-(

But I am liking the infinite wish thing, so maybe I'll hold his keyboard ransom...  :lol: :lol:

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 02:12:13 AM »

I've been playing off and on for quite some time now, although I haven't bothered with this new...Fourth Edition?

It's a blast. A very social game, more for the interaction and role playing than anything else. As for what to play, I've played characters from all across the board, but enjoyed several specifically. A hack n' slash Half Orc Barbarian. The crazy little bugger Halfling Rogue. And, of course, the flamboyant pretty boy Human Wizard and Elf Sorcerer. Yes, I played both. Flamboyantly.

But it's all about what you decide to do, and what your Dungeon Master allows or won't allow. It's definitely a game for the imagination, I'll tell you that. Immerse yourself in the imaginative world, and have fun!

I hope that helps!

Jaepheth

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +114/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 10:53:05 AM »

Genius! Withholding sex is always the answer!

Blast! I am already withholding sex because he raids in WoW every night.... :-(

But I am liking the infinite wish thing, so maybe I'll hold his keyboard ransom...  :lol: :lol:

Be sure to send him polaroids and pry out a few keys to send him to let him know you're serious.

I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 11:15:44 AM »

Be sure to send him polaroids and pry out a few keys to send him to let him know you're serious.

Lynch it. 'Nuff said.

livingeek

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +3/-4
    • View Profile
    • LivinGeek
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 12:00:02 PM »

D&D can be a lot of fun.  I had never played before until I found out my friend Frank plays.  He showed me how to play while some people were over and we just went through having some.  It can be very enjoyable. 

As for not wanting to be the GF that is always hanging around, you still don't have to be.  If he wants you to play D&D that's cool.  I think it's important to try out the things that he is into, and it's important that his friends know you.  You can play D&D with them and still give them their time when they are doing something else, or if he asks for it. 

AppleJax

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 06:29:02 PM »

Lol! I am pasting together the ransom note right now...

Thanks guys for your advice and experiences with D&D, i think I am going t give it a shot..

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 01:53:48 AM »

That's great. When starting the game, though, make sure to tell them you're putting on your robe and wizard hat.

sociald1077

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +129/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 03:32:21 AM »

I cast Magic Missile!
"Guns don't kill people! PHYSICS kill people!" - Dick Soloman

Jaepheth

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +114/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 04:45:06 AM »

I cast Magic Missile!

There's nothing to attack here. Why are you casting Magic Missile?

I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 11:30:27 AM »

There's nothing to attack here. Why are you casting Magic Missile?

I'm attacking the darkness!

L

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +1/-5
  • L
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 12:38:10 AM »

I have actully have had this happen to my group before.

What my DM did was bring his blonde bitch of a gf to play. I doubt that you are one of these for you make them nice snacks =)

you shouldn't worry at all.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 01:07:30 AM »

Where are the cheetos?
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

AppleJax

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 08:48:44 AM »

I have actully have had this happen to my group before.

What my DM did was bring his blonde bitch of a gf to play. I doubt that you are one of these for you make them nice snacks =)

you shouldn't worry at all.

Good thing I am not blonde. :-) The guys are lucking out tomorrow, I am making a cake and calzones.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 01:04:30 PM »

I just started running a 4E game for my girlfriend and some of our non-nerd friends (although I guess the conversion has begun) and it's been a blast. As for game advice, don't go wasting your Daily powers on goblins or kobolds or some shit; also keep in mind that using powers with blasts or bursts (anything that has an area effect) is great for cleaning out minions.

<irc>
Wait, I almost forgot, 4E isn't real D&D, it's a Hasbro game for stupid babies and I like playing with dolls
</irc>

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 01:10:48 PM by Lacerda »

AppleJax

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 03:08:53 PM »

I just started running a 4E game....................great for cleaning out minions.
<irc>
Wait, I almost forgot, 4E isn't real D&D, it's a Hasbro game for stupid babies and I like playing with dolls
</irc>

Thanks for the hints, they are much appreciated. I have a friend who feels the same about 4E

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 03:41:46 PM »

I just started running a 4E game for my girlfriend and some of our non-nerd friends (although I guess the conversion has begun) and it's been a blast. As for game advice, don't go wasting your Daily powers on goblins or kobolds or some shit; also keep in mind that using powers with blasts or bursts (anything that has an area effect) is great for cleaning out minions.

<irc>
</irc>

:wink:

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 12:23:59 PM »

I started to play 4rth edition. The revamp mechanics as bassically there to enable an easier approach to programing computer games that will use these rules. That is really what 4rth edition is about.

Does it increase game play speed? Nope
Does it make it easier for the player or the DM? Nope. In fact, it makes it harder in some cases

Having only played a level 1 character, I have to admit that the level 1 character is much more capable then his 3.5 counterpart. You can do a lot of things as level one, and also you are much tougher (as is everyone else). Having said that, you gain very little in terms of level progression so while level 1 characters are great to play, I think you'll likely get board with them relatively quickly until they reach lvl 11. Then you'll get a spike of joy which will die quickly and won't come back until you reach lvl 21. And that's gonna take a while!

Also, they've amange to kill the wizard. And also, they didn't really remove the bard class, they just call it a warload. Essentially, the warloard is a bard with a stick.

these are my opinions of 4e so far. But since I'm still level one, I'm having a blast with it so far.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 12:29:06 PM »

Does it make it easier for the player or the DM? Nope. In fact, it makes it harder in some cases

Can you give me an example? I've run a couple of games, and aside from keeping track of a bunch of status effects, it's made being a DM waaaay easier.

Also they didn't kill the wizard, just made it as powerful as the other classes for a change.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 07:02:20 AM »

For the players: Some have stupid abilities.

Example: Lacerday, the lady human rogue attempts to spot a creature in the woods

Perception check of 19.

DM: Sorry, you didn't spot anything.

DaJuge pipes up! Hey, I'm an elf!!!! starts counting squares... of wait.. you're 6 quares away. I'm still an elf, but had you shifted before you spotted, I would have given you a +1!!!!!

DM:And that would have made a difference! Anyway, you get hit by a poison dart and die.

For the DM:
There's a lot of "round" effects to track and some of these effects are only against some PCs, not all. For instance, remembering when the dragon can use his breath weapon again, or remembering that Lacerday used a special attack that grants combat advantage, etc

Overall, it's not really that complicated, but it certainly isn't simpler are faster, as wizard was indicating. Then again, maybe it's because it's new and everyone needs to get used to the new system. I personally do like it, but my greatest dissapointment is that characters seem less customizable.  Also many many feats are simply useless. No one is ever going to take them.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 12:37:35 PM »

Also many many feats are simply useless. No one is ever going to take them.

Judge, do you have any examples? I haven't read any of the Fourth Edition schtuff yet.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 12:42:11 PM »

For the players: Some have stupid abilities.

That's not really a stupid ability, it just means that the player in question has to actually pay attention to what's happening and be aware of what their class or race can do.

But yeah, I'm totally with you on the status effects, as I said.
Pages: [1] 2