The Geek Forum

• May 12, 2024, 09:28:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 146
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Walking away from Microsoft forever  (Read 4004 times)

Anonymous

Walking away from Microsoft forever
« on: May 11, 2004, 11:59:24 AM »

http://www.geekforum.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13" target="BLANK">http://www.gotthegeek.com/images/demo_avatar_kane_screen_sm.jpg"> Submitted by Demosthenes

In http://www.geekforum.org" target="BLANK">teh Geekery forum (OMFGLOL!!1) catwritr and I were discussing the notion of people breaking their Windows CDs in half and walking away from Microsoft forever.

The more alternatives become viable, the more people will actually walk down that path.

I mean, to me, Microsoft is dead.  Windows 2000 is the last OS they produced that didn't require "activation", and from the sounds of it, Longhorn will be the worst one yet, since it will be infested with Palladium DRM bullshit that simply doesn't belong on a computer, period.

I don't want it.  Most people who have any idea what it is don't want it either.

The way I see it, with Linux, nor do we need it.

With Linux, you have better browsers than IE available to you:  Opera, Mozilla, Galeon, Konqueror, and others.

With Linux, you have many, many good options available for email clients in a variety of user-friendly graphical apps, or simple text-based "old school" apps:  Ximian Evolution, mutt, PINE, ELM, Kmail, Mozilla Mail, Opera Mail, and numerous others.

With Linux you have thousands and thousands (instead of MS's dozens) of top-notch developers reviewing code and patching bugs and security holes as they happen... not when it's fiscally convenient.

With Linux you have stability.  I had a power outage on Sunday because of a thunderstorm that moved through our area, but at the point I lost power, my desktop machine at home (named "damnthing") had been up and running on http://www.slackware.com" target="BLANK">Slackware for 61 continuous days without a reboot.  The longest that machine had ever run on ANY operating system before that had been 3 days.  And that was on Windows 2000.  And at that point it started acting flaky so it had to be rebooted.

With Linux you have OPTIONS.  You can run a fully-immersed, easy to use graphical environment like KDE or Gnome, rich with features, applications, and nice-looking interfaces that rival anything Microsoft has ever created.  Or you can run simple, resource-friendly "minimalist" windowing environments like Blackbox, Fluxbox, Windowmaker, or IceWM, or no graphical environment AT ALL if you don't mind command line console interfaces.

With Linux you can use your choice of office productivity apps, from Sun's StarOffice and OpenOffice.org, to great applications like Abiword, Kword, Gnumeric, and more than I can even think of right now.

With Linux, if you don't mind learning this stuff yourself, you can do all of that I just listed and more for 100% free.  And not break any anti-piracy laws.  You can change open source applications in any way you see fit, and even make copies for your friends (as long as you distribute them with source code) and you won't have the software police knocking on your door with a court summons and a lawsuit in hand.

Fuck Microsoft.  We don't need them.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 12:11:14 PM »

After spending time getting frustrated because "features" in Windows won't cooperate, the day that I'll break my CD is getting closer and closer to becoming reality.

I've been using the Blackbox for Windows shell for a few months now, and I'm really quite impressed with how easily customizable it is. I think any frustration one may have with whatever flavor of Linux is more than worth it to leave Microsoft behind.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 12:23:34 PM »

I should probably also mention that one doesn't need to be an IT professional or a developer or a computer expert to use Linux.

You need to learn a lot of stuff if you do all that yourself, true... the upside to all that footwork is the fact that you can do it all without paying a penny for any of it.

Most "normal" users would be better off actually purchasing whatever computers they need with Linux pre-installed, like most people today purchase their Windows machines.

Not to mention, people going that route will have some excellent support options available to them.

And this is a cheaper route to go than with Windows because licensing is typically a third to half as expensive if one goes this route, and support is normally included in that price (of at least some kind).

Here is a list of computer vendors worldwide that sell, build and configure desktop computers with just about any distro of Linux a user could want, pre-installed.

Here is a list of vendors that sell various brands of laptops pre-installed and configured with Linux.  One of those (Emperor Linux) I have looked at pretty closely, because they sell HP, IBM, Sony VAIO and other quality name brand laptop and notebook computers with just about any distro of Linux you want (including Slackware), at reasonable prices, with inexpensive support plans and warranties available.

Now you have no excuse.   :D

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 12:29:39 PM »

Quote from: Demosthenes
Now you have no excuse.   :D

Damn you! :P  :wink:

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 12:36:33 PM »

I don't need it, since I already have a pretty kickass laptop, but I really like this one.

Decked out it comes with a built-in, pre-configured wireless card, a 2.8GHz Pentium IV, a 16" display, a gig of RAM, an 80gig hard drive and a DVD/CD-RW drive.

Of course, it's also listed at $4,000, but hey, Sony Vaio's are expensive no matter where you get them!  :P

On the upside, they'll pre-configure it with Slackware for no extra charge.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 12:52:41 PM »

Well, there goes my salary...

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 02:25:22 PM »

Since I plan on buying a new laptop, do I risk jumping to Linux with that or should I get off my ass and play with Linux on the spare computer in the garage?

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 02:37:58 PM »

What's that spare computer?

Sometimes throwing Linux on an older, outdated machine when you have no prior knowledge of the OS can be more difficult than it's worth.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 02:41:14 PM »

It's an old P2 or maybe P3 at about .4Ghz I think.  I think it has Win 95 on it.  We purchased it for $25 from my wife's old company and I figured I'd eventually get around to playing with Linux on it (this was about 2 years ago)

bobo

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bobomonkey.com
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2004, 03:06:15 PM »

All rights reserved. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited without the express written permission of a 47.3 foot long three-toed purple alligator that is a card carrying member of the ACLU and CATO Institute simultaneously

now that's funny.^^

I tried putting a copy of suse 9.0 on my dell laptop. Boy that was a pain but I have been thinking about throwing suse on my desktop. My real problem with my laptop was getting the nvidia linux drivers to work. Other than that I liked linux.   I was thinking about trying Litestep first maybe it looks pretty cool.