The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 10:31:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 158
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Smoking  (Read 19146 times)

The_FOO

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +61/-3
  • irc.hyperion.org:6667 #hn
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hyperion.org
Re: Smoking
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 09:01:17 PM »

Concur.
All of my electronics are in one room, where I spend all of my time home. Yes, I smoke, and have for about 8 years, and my nosehair clipper-crap is fine.

Have you opened any of them up and taken a look inside?
http://www.errorfm.com/efm.pls
More FOOlish than you'll ever be.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 02:15:34 AM »

He's too busy smoking, didn't you know?

The Kid

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 06:04:30 PM »

I think this topic has given me the boost I needed to quit smoking again. I will need to smoke on thursday because it's my birthday and I will be drowning my birthday sorrows. But after that, I'm going to give it another shot I think.  :wink:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 06:13:26 PM »

That's a bad idea to go out of your way to have just "one more" before you try to quit again.

Why not drink on your birthday, rather than smoke? Pick up a new habit for a change.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 06:20:53 PM »

Now there's a habit we can agree on.  :wink:
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

sociald1077

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +129/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2008, 07:42:48 PM »

That's a bad idea to go out of your way to have just "one more" before you try to quit again.

Why not drink on your birthday, rather than smoke? Pick up a new habit for a change.

I think he was saying he will be drinking, and from what I have seen, a drinker/smoke has a VERY hard time separating the two. Even if they have "stopped" smoking, they still light up while drinking.
"Guns don't kill people! PHYSICS kill people!" - Dick Soloman

12AX7

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2008, 08:16:37 PM »

That would be the perfect way to kick off your new non-smoking resolution, though; if you can maintain control through that, you're fine. You can continue to smoke secure in the knowledge that you can always quit again if you want to; since you just proved that you can.

oyeh..   |>

The Kid

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2008, 03:43:23 PM »

I think he she was saying he will be drinking, and from what I have seen, a drinker/smoke has a VERY hard time separating the two. Even if they have "stopped" smoking, they still light up while drinking.

You all have valid points. I do see smoking as a complimentary activity to drinking. However, my lungs hurt, and I am going to try to give up. Today is perfect because it is pouring down. I will let you know how it goes :thumbsup:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

12AX7

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2008, 03:45:37 PM »

ok
:lightsup:

The Kid

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2008, 06:42:21 AM »

I'd be lying if I said I didn't smoke my arse off today.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2008, 07:44:54 AM »

Having been a smoker for 15 years ro so, having finally succeeded in droping the habbit after oh... 10 or so failed attempts (nobody likes a quiter anyway), here are my thoughts on the subject:

First, there is sort of a soul searching process that takes place. Ask yourself why you first started smoking. Me, beleive it or not, I actually liked the smell. And also, teenager peer pressure, and also "looking cool". So at first, I couldn't even inhale the damn smoke as I would start coughing (That was nature telling me :Hello moron! You shouldn't be doing this!!)

But more importantly, identify WHY you want to quit. My 10 failed attempts didn't work out because I was trying to quit to please others. You can only quit because YOU want to, not because your spouse wants you to. So in order to determine why you want to quite, start by writing down how smoking changed your life in a negative way. Don't focus on what may happen to you if you continue smoking, focus on what has already happened (for now). For example: I used to play a lot of sports and I was very competitive and talented in some of them. Eventually, I just couldn't keep up and ended up droping sports that I loved for the cigs that I now loved more. Also, smoking means you stink. You may not beleive so because you probably can't smell yourself the way others can, but trust me you fuckin stink. Do you think the ladies like to kiss that mouth? You may htink so, but in fact they don't. You know, cause you stink. Other examples: being out of breath when walking up stairs, lying about not smoking when pressured to quit and failing, feeling guilt, etc.

Now, think about future risks if you continue smoking. These are basically health risks that everyone claims to know what they are, but really they are clueless. There is a risk of cancer, which everyone knows about. "Yeah, yeah, I know I can get cancer. I accept the risk" - Typical teenager response. Do you even have a clue what it means to have cancer? What radiation and chemo therapy means? You accept the risk of this infernal suffering, with no guarantess of survival for the pleasure of a god damn puff? Completely irrational. Oh, irrational is somethign to add in the first list by the way. Becuase you're addidcted, you transform your perceptions and attitudes to "rationalize" your smoking habbit.

Understand that quiting smoking is similar to the experience of loosing a loved one. That cigarette has been your best friend for years. When you feeling stressed, what's the first thing you do? Go out for a smoke. When you're angry, you light one up. When you're bored, you smoke. When you're drunk and having fun, you smoke. When you're down, you gain temporary comfort from a smoke. Well guess what, you've created these pattern over the years and it's going to be very hard to break.

In order to quit successfully: Going cold turkey is not for everyone, and it's not the easiest method. Consider a systemic approach instead. Here's what I suggest:

For the next 2 weeks, don't try to quit. Smoke normally, but keep a log with you. Everytime you light up, write down the date and time, and the reason why you felt you needed a smoke, and rate the intensity of the craving, from 1 to 5. Create your "smoking" calendar.

In two weeks, you'll have a full log detailing your smoking habbits. You'll notice that some urges are triggered by specific things (like being bored, stressed, etc), other urges are simply the result of habbit, where you've condition your mind to "need" a smoke at specific times.

In the following week, don't cut down, but change the pattern completely. Never smoke at times when you used to always smoke, and never smoke as a result of these "triggers" you've identified. In fact, avoid such triggers. For instance, if drinking makes you smoke, don't drink. Keep in mind that this is all temporary. You'll find that simply changing up the schedule is a challenge on its own. Now here comes the hard part:

Keep smoking with your whacky schedule, but delay by 1 hour the first time you can have a smoke each day. For instance, if you normally get up at 7 and have a smoke, on day one, you'll get up at 7 but won't smoke before 8. On day two, get up at 7, but don't smoke until 9., keep going until you run out of hours and become a non smoker.

What to do when you're having a craving: There's only two things you can do: Give in, or be a stuborn bastard. Option 2 is the only way you'll ever quit. Force yourself to be rational. Ask youself "What will happen if I don't smoke? Will I die" and of course, the answer is no. Go for a walk, get some fresh air. The craving will pass, I assure you. It's temporary torture, and after a month, it gets a lot easier. The firs 3 weeks are the hardest.

And just so you know, I did this entire process, with a pack of smoke in my pocket. Maybe you don't want to do that... But I did fail once. I got to cocky. I was so sure I had it beat, after having stopped for 3 months, that I decided that a final challenge was required. I wanted to prove to myself that I had conditioned my mind so I light one up. Boy it was goooood! And guess what, all I've managed to confirm was that I was an idiot because I started smoking and had to redo this process again (successfully!). The lesson is simple: If you give up and light up, you're goign back to square one. Think about that when you want to smoke again. Think that by having that smoke, you'll be forced to put yourself trought this ordeal all over again, and you'll throw away all the progress you've made so far. Accept that for the rest of your life, you simply can't handle having a smoke or a cigar. If you can't do this, then you won't quit. It's that simple. Best of luck!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 07:52:45 AM by TheJudge »

Stitch

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +19/-38
  • What that smell like?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2008, 08:04:48 AM »

Actually, I have. My comp gets opened up twice a month for dusting, upgrading, etc. When I still had a PS2, I tore it apart to clean it, and I didn't notice anything other than the usual dust. I've upgraded the HD in my PS3, and wanted to upgrade the memory as well, but didn't do so. Of course, I haven't had the PS3 long enough, I don't think.

On quitting, I've tried twice now, but it seems as long as I have tobacco in the house, my will power isn't strong enough.

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2008, 11:20:41 AM »

I'll agree with Judgie.  I quit for five years one time.  On one non-stressful day, sitting on the carport with my wife and father in law, I decided to light one up.  That's probably the biggest mistake I've ever made.  It didn't take a month to be back up to two packs a day.  That was about 26 years ago.  Since then I have tried many times: by hypnosis twice, patches a few times, chewing instead of smoking, cutting back one cigarette a day a couple of times, and cold turkey a few times.  Cutting back one cig a day got me to where I am now, which is a little over a pack a day.  But none have worked for any length of time.

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

The_FOO

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +61/-3
  • irc.hyperion.org:6667 #hn
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hyperion.org
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2008, 11:41:42 AM »

Actually, I have. My comp gets opened up twice a month for dusting, upgrading, etc. When I still had a PS2, I tore it apart to clean it, and I didn't notice anything other than the usual dust. I've upgraded the HD in my PS3, and wanted to upgrade the memory as well, but didn't do so. Of course, I haven't had the PS3 long enough, I don't think.

Lucky you. Of course you also seem to be looking after the equipment much more than your average smoking household.
http://www.errorfm.com/efm.pls
More FOOlish than you'll ever be.

Stitch

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +19/-38
  • What that smell like?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2008, 12:13:58 PM »

Lucky you. Of course you also seem to be looking after the equipment much more than your average smoking household.
Yeah, I paid alot of money for what I have, and I want them to last as long as possible. I think it might be time soon to get my PC "de-nicotined." Money's tight nowadays, so it's not too big of a priority.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2008, 01:01:17 PM »

I've been a non-smoker for 5 and 1/2 years now.  I used Wellbutrin - because the insurance company will pay for it if you call it Wellbutrin, but they won't if you call it Zyban, despite the fact that they're one-in-the-same.

The stuff is will-power in a pill - though, I call it "won't power" because it enables you to say, "I won't smoke." and mean it.

Before I quit, I was a pack and a half per day smoker.  I was one of those people who, when you saw me smoke, you might say, "Wow.  That guy really enjoys his cigarettes."

Quitting was the single hardest thing that I've ever done in my life.  Even today, so many years later, I envy smokers at times.  Other times, not so much.

I still have to wonder, though... Is smoking really so risky?
http://stats.org/stories/lung_cancer_rates_mar08_06.htm
1/10 (for smokers) chance versus 1/3,000,000 (for non smokers).
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2008, 01:19:47 PM »

Has it been that long Biz?  Time sure flies.  Oh and I guess I forgot about trying the Wellbutrin thing.  Didn't work for me.

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

The Kid

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2008, 07:06:49 AM »

Thanks Judge, I really appreciate that invaluable advice.

Fortunately I am not as addicted as some. I smoke about a pack a week. It is still too much though. I do not want to be a 'smoker'. I cannot sing as well when I am a smoker. My skin is better when I am not smoking. And I do not want to be an old lady who smokes. I do not even want to be a 23-year old who smokes. My reasons to quit have changed as the years have gone by and after 8 years on and off, I finally want to quit for myself. I know my triggers are simple passing feelings and that they are no reason to put a cigarette in my mouth if they will be gone again in a moment or a day.

And so, to have success with this, there must be no limit to how much or how many times I try again. So, from now, I quit. :)

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2008, 07:38:41 AM »

If you have cravings (passing feelings) that last a day, you're in trouble.  I'd guess that my average craving lasted no more than 6 or 7 minutes.  One of the mental approaches that I took was to tell myself, "You can get through this.  You can do lots of things for 6 or 7 minutes.  Granted sexorz isn't one of them, but not-smoking is."

Self deprecating humor, even in situations where you're trying to improve yourself, is always the key ingredient.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2008, 07:44:51 AM »

You can do lots of things for 6 or 7 minutes.  Granted sexorz isn't one of them, but not-smoking is."

Yeah really. I mean, what do you do with the extra 5 minutes?  :lol:

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2008, 07:46:46 AM »

Yeah really. I mean, what do you do with the extra 5 minutes?  :lol:
That, my singing friend, is equivalent to, "How many licks does it take to get to the center of Courtney Love."  We really don't want to know.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2008, 03:35:50 PM »

I'm weird I guess in how I quit smoking.  It was still not what I would call "easy", but I would be lying if I said it was "hard".

May 18th, 2000.  That's when I quit.

I am a firm believer that it wasn't the nicotine for me as much as it was the habit itself, the ACT of smoking. And that's why I believe that it tends to be difficult for most people to quit smoking.  It's not just eliminating a substance. It's eliminating an entire behavior set, extracting one's self from a subculture of sorts, and that tends to be hard.

People don't change easily.  Not even over simple things.  It is a rare person who can do so.  This is why the various products out there -- regardless of how great they work for suppressing nicotine cravings -- still only work a small percentage of the time for most people in the long term. It is the mistaken belief that you can just quit smoking with a crutch like that that leads to failure in this for most who try.

I think I had an easier time quitting than most people because I understand this.

It takes the average person around 1-2 months to change a behavior. So I replaced cigarettes with Skoal Bandits for a month.  The average Bandit contains about 4x the nicotine of the average cigarette, so nicotine wasn't an issue.  It was still an oral fixation, so that wasn't an issue.  I'd even go outside for 15 minutes for a break while at work to do this.

So I started out not changing behavior much at all... just the substance.  And I'm not fond of chew, so it was a substance I knew I wouldn't be using long term.  Over the course of that month I altered things very slowly.  First I stopped going outside every time I got a break.  Then I started slowly cutting back on how often I'd chew.  I went from 4 or 5 a day to 3, then 2, and then finally just 1.

By the end of two months, I was down to just one or two a week, and then I cut it out entirely.  The nicotine cravings were mild for me, and stopped after about 3 days.  I still wanted to smoke, but since I'd altered my behavior pretty thoroughly, it kind of tricked myself into not thinking about it nearly as often.

That was over 8 years ago now, and I can honestly say I won't be smoking again.  Now I don't even want a cigarette, it doesn't appeal to me at all.

To be honest, that took a few years.  And I've had the occasional cigarette between then and now.

And I haven't finished a single one.  They taste like shit to me now, and that has reminded me that I am truly a "non-smoker".

That's my quitting story.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

12AX7

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2008, 03:57:43 PM »

That, my singing friend, is equivalent to, "How many licks does it take to get to the center of Courtney Love."  We really don't want to know.
Yeh, you can almost see the center of Courtney Love.

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2008, 05:18:30 PM »

Heh. Smoke IS smoke. Regardless of what/how many/how often/ how much; if you smoke, be prepared for being regarded as a NASTY, STINKING person, even if no one actually tells you. Your clothes stink, your hair stinks, your car stinks, your breath stinks, your kisses aren't desirable, your fingers even stink, for crying out loud. And that's just the start.
  You won't realize it until it's waay too late, but the strength in your breath/lungs will be cut drastically; resulting in you being the wheezing, coughing, gagging, stinky puke that everyone is embarrassed to be jogging with since you have to stop every so often. (AND you stink)
  Plus, you can look forward to massive attacks of heartburn (yes; smoking exacerbates heartburn and ulcers - which you may get if you don't alreay have them starting.)
  If all that isn't enough; take a picture of your teeth. Wait three days. Take another picture and compare the two. Yuck. Nasty. Have any idea how often you have to brush to keep them at least sorta kinda not totally brown? More than twice a day; with "whitening" toothpaste. Or Topol - smoker's toothpaste (wait till your date sees THAT in your medicine cabinet. Yeh; you'll look really cool then.)
  How do I know all this? I smoke. Over a pack a day/cigarettes; and a lot of other stuffs too. So believe me, please. Stop now.

You know, not all people detest the smell of a smoker. I can't help it, I grew up around smokers; I think the smell is kinda sexy. Just like beer breath.

I don't smoke, so I can't bring personal light to this thread, but my mother has been smoking since I can remember. It's pretty stupid; there are cooler ways to die.

Also, that 250k cigarette figure is malarkey. It doesn't take anywhere near that much to cause lung cancer. I belonged to my high school's REBEL chapter (Reaching Everyone By Exposing Lies, a group whose purpose it is to protect teens from the lies of big tobacco) and we had a guest speaker, twenty years old, who had smoked a pack a week for two years and got lung cancer.

The Kid

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2008, 03:53:06 AM »

If you have cravings (passing feelings) that last a day, you're in trouble.  I'd guess that my average craving lasted no more than 6 or 7 minutes.  One of the mental approaches that I took was to tell myself, "You can get through this.  You can do lots of things for 6 or 7 minutes.  Granted sexorz isn't one of them, but not-smoking is."

Self deprecating humor, even in situations where you're trying to improve yourself, is always the key ingredient.

I was talking about the feelings which trigger wanting a cigarette i.e feelings of stress or sudden anger.

I can proudly say I have had one successful cold-turkey day, carrying 1 cigarette around with me.  8-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4