The Geek Forum

• May 05, 2024, 08:42:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129608
  • Total Topics: 7178
  • Online Today: 146
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Democrats Fault Bush on Executive Privilege  (Read 2265 times)

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
Democrats Fault Bush on Executive Privilege
« on: April 10, 2008, 11:19:55 PM »

This makes me get my hopes up. Perhaps there is justice.

Excerpt:
Lawyers for the Democratic-led panel argued in court documents that Bush's chief of staff, Josh Bolten, and former White House counsel Harriet Miers are not protected from subpoenas last year that sought information about the dismissals.

The legal filing came in lawsuit that pits the legislative branch against the executive in a fight over a president's powers.

The committee is seeking the testimony as it tries to make a case that the White House directed the firing of nine U.S. attorneys because they were not supportive enough of Republicans' political agenda.

The White House says such information is private and covered by executive privilege, the doctrine intended to protect the confidentiality of presidential communications.

House lawyers told U.S. District Judge John D. Bates that subpoenaed White House officials cannot simply skip hearings as Miers did during the committee's investigation. Further, they said, any documents or testimony believed to be covered by the privilege must be itemized for Congress' assessment.

Executive privilege is not a right spelled out in the Constitution, so the legal issues are murky and disputes are normally resolved politically. The suit is risky for both sides. Courts have not been kind to the presidency in fights over subpoenas; Congress could have its power to demand information curtailed permanently.

The White House has said Bush was not personally involved in deciding which U.S. prosecutors to fire and that any White House communications on the matter are off-limits under the privilege. Presidential counsel Fred Fielding declared Miers and Bolten immune from prosecution because their refusal to comply with the subpoenas was done at the White House's direction under the privilege.

He also did not provide a privilege log, arguing that revealing the information sought would compromise the president's access to candid advice.

The result, the committee wrote, is White House defiance of congressional oversight unseen since the presidential intransigence that led to Richard Nixon's resignation
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Re: Democrats Fault Bush on Executive Privilege
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 08:14:09 AM »

The committee is seeking the testimony as it tries to make a case that the White House directed the firing of nine U.S. attorneys because they were not supportive enough of Republicans' political agenda.
US Attorneys serve at the pleasure of the president.  He doesn't need to give a reason or defend a reason for firing them.  This is a witch hunt and the only thing they could hope for is a process crime like they got Martha Stewart and Scooter Libby on.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

reimero

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +112/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.omgjonx.com
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 08:50:45 AM »

There's also the minor issue that Congress can choose to hold someone in contempt of Congress, but if the Justice Department doesn't feel like enforcing it, there's not much Congress can do.
"This f*cker is in wisconsin, reimero is from awesomeland." - Bobert

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 01:58:53 PM »

...the only thing they could hope for is a process crime like they got Martha Stewart and Scooter Libby on.

Hey, hope is hope. I'm tired of seeing him getting away with stuff under the guise of "I'm the President." As if that is somehow puts him above the law or something. Well at least in the United States that he's envisioning, that's how it would work. I'll take a technicality over nothing at all any day.

There's also the minor issue that Congress can choose to hold someone in contempt of Congress, but if the Justice Department doesn't feel like enforcing it, there's not much Congress can do.

I'm ignoring this because I don't feel like acknowledging it. It depresses me and I want to keep my head in the sand as long as possible.

What?

At least I came out and said it.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 03:09:40 PM »

Bu$h
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=