The Geek Forum

• May 12, 2024, 01:20:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 137
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Cable DS Hell  (Read 5991 times)

Anonymous

Cable DS Hell
« on: July 13, 2004, 11:35:09 AM »

http://www.gotthegeek.com/images/judgeavatar.jpg"> Submitted byTheJudge

Two years ago when I moved into my house, I decided to switch ISP. I was happy with my previous ISP, I just wanted to try this new one because the rate was the same and I was curious about the performance. They claimed they were faster. So I drop Alliant and switch to Rogers. Big mistake…

First, I need to schedule an appointment for the guy to come to my house. They don’t do installs on weekends or nights so I have to take time off from work. I am told they will be at my door at 2:30 PM on a certain day. I leave work and get home at 2:15. There’s a not on my door that reads “Dear Mr. Judge, we came to setup your intraweb access but you weren’t home. Please call the number at the bottom of this card to schedule an appointment.” It card indicated that they came at 2:00.

So I call Rogers again and ask them why they schedule appointments with customers, but don’t come at the time of the said appointments. I suggested they could save a bundle by skipping the appointment process since they don’t respect the agreements. When the clerk sensed that I was a little frustrated, he started asking questions, but forgot to read his manual on dealing with difficult customers and dealing with complaints.

Them: What seems to be the problem?

Me: Well, I was told a guy would come to my house at 2:30 to setup my internet so I took time off from work to come home. When I got there at 2:15, there was a note from your installer on my door. He came at 2:00. What’s the deal? I’m taking time off work for this? Will you credit me my time in loss salary?

Them: (Ignores my question) That’s impossible Sir.

Me: Excuse me? What’s impossible?

Them: We don’t give specific times when we set appointments.

Me: Oh really? Then it must be difficult to setup appointments if there’s no prearranged times.

Them: We never say specific times because we don’t exactly always know how long an install will take from one location to the next. We give time frames. Like between 1:00 and 5:00 for example.

Me: But I was told by the last rep I spoke to that he would come at….

Them: That’s not possible. We don’t do that. It’s always mornings or afternoons.

Me: So you’re saying I’m lying then?

Them: Erm… No. I mean… The previous person you spoke to must have miss informed you.

Me: Oh I see! So the actual process here is that you give yourselves a 4 hour window because you have no clue how long it takes to do an install?

Them: Right!

Me: In order words, you just don’t know what you’re doing. Well that’s nice. Maybe I should call Alliant instead. I think I made a mistake contacting you guys.

Them: You’re free to call them if you wish, but our service is much better I assure you.

Me: Alright, well I’d like you to prove it because I’m not seeing a hint of this great service you’re promoting.

Them: (starts to stumble on his words) Well… I’m sorry about that Mr Judge. Obviously there was a misunderstanding with the previous agent. I would like to apologize for that incident.

Me: And?

Them: And… We’ll make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Me: And will you apologize for calling me a liar?

Them: Oh I never called you a liar Sir. I would never do that.

Me: Yet you did. Indirectly. But if you apologize and promise not to do it again, I won’t mention it to your supervisor.

Them: I’m sorry.

Me: Good! Now, let’s setup this install and hope that things will go smoothly in the future shall we?

So we setup the appointment again. I picked a day where my spouse was home. And give her specific instructions to give to the installer. You see, my house was wired for internet access so I wanted him to setup the cable plug in the basement and put the modem in the basement. I was going to use a router and split it through the house.

I get home and rush to the basement in total excitement! I look around… Nothing! No sign of any work, no sign of a modem. I figure the bastards didn’t show up. I make my way upstairs to my computer room and what do I see? The modem. Bastards! Well at least they came this time. So my spouse explains that the guy didn’t want to install it the basement. He said “Your computer is upstairs, I have to install it in your computer room”. She didn’t have a clue about how this stuff works so she lead him to the computer room. Fine. I’ll do it myself then. Not long after, I have my basement setup complete with the router and hub and the internet connection in all the rooms of my house! Sweet action!!!!

A few days later…

Modem can’t connect. I figured the service is down so I wait a little. Later on, it is able to reconnect. I go on-line for a bit and all of a sudden, the connection drops again. It goes on like this for a little while. I call Rogers to confirm that their service is still up. It is. And they can’t figure out what my problem is. “Try back later” was the only technical assistance I was able to get. So I do try again later. Works fine! Wonderful!

A few days later…

Modem can’t connect. I figured the service is down so I wait a little. Later on, it is able to reconnect. I go on-line for a bit and all of a sudden, the connection drops again. It goes on like this for a little while. I call Rogers to confirm that their service is still up. It is. And they can’t figure out what my problem is. “Try back later” was the only technical assistance I was able to get. So I do try again later. Works fine! Wonderful!

A few days later…

That wasn’t a copy and paste error by the way. Indeed, I get to the point where I have internet access 50% of the time. Two technicians came to my house on different occasions and both confirmed that the problem was external. All the wiring in the house is fine. The problem is down the street where Rogers sets the signal intensity or what ever. You see, I live in a new subdivision and as more and more houses were getting built, more and more people were getting cable and sucking up the signal to the point where the internet signal was too weak. That’s why I was having all these problems.

I called Rogers and tell them all this. They seem to agree that it makes sense. Then I say “OK so will you guys take that into consideration in the future? I mean, you know if there’s new houses, you have to go there to set it up don’t you? I’ve called twice already to tell you to boost your signal or what ever the hell it is you do. I’m not your lackey. You guys know what the problem is, you guys monitor it. If I loose my internet connection one more time because of this problem, I’m switching back my previous ISP, which by the way never gave me any trouble.”

A few days later…

Hello Alliant? I would like to sign up for internet access.

The moral to this story is simple. You can try to be patient, reasonable and fair when dealing with companies, but the reality is that it’s them who should be treating you that way. Not the other way around. Sure, mistakes can happen, but it doesn’t mean people should be allowed to crap in your face. Obviously, I should have switch back to Alliant long before, but I was trying to be reasonable. When you point out an error and the error is repeated, then you run. Don’t waist your time. It’s not worth it. In fact, the proof is that the Rogers high speed was slower than Alliant. I went trought all this trouble for nothing, except perhaps a small lesson in poor judgement.

I guess I didn't learn much because I recently signed up for a cell phone plan with Rogers. I already have stuff to write a new rant! That will come later.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Cable DS Hell
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 11:45:23 AM »

As I former employee of Rogers Cable, allow me to help illustrate the absolute incompetence of this organization (I'm disgruntled LOL):

1) During October of 2000, the Rogers Internet Cable infrastructure was nowhere near capable of supporting new customers. There had been constant technical problems, the tech support was basically swamped 24/7 and nothing was working the way it was supposed to be. We were instructed to upsell as many new connections as possible. Pointing out that selling new accounts when our system couldn't even handle the existing ones was looked upon unfavorably. They even put out incentives for selling the kits. Despite my subtle warnings, people still bought them.

2) The technical support was badly trained (for the most part) and we're almost never able to provide anything remotely approaching help. If it can't be fixed with a system or modem restart or the release/renew of your IP, chances are you weren't fixing the problem any time soon. Combine long waiting times and incompetence, and you get people who made more than I did! But I guess that's because I got the priviledge of dealing with angry customers face to face.

3) Rogers advertised itself (and perhaps still does) as UNLIMITED HIGH SPEED! Strangely, if you used too much bandwidth, they'd cut you off. They wouldn't tell you how much was too much, or even admit that there was a cap, but they'd cut you off nonetheless. IT WAS UNLIMITED!

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
Cable DS Hell
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 11:59:19 AM »

Haven't had any problems with my connection, but then again I'm using DSL and not cable. Sorry you had so much trouble there, Judge.

lol @ "waist your time"  :P
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Anonymous

Cable DS Hell
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 12:00:04 PM »

Well I can see where how you got your sense of humor. So what exactly did you do for Rogers? Installs?

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Cable DS Hell
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 02:39:48 PM »

Quote from: TheJudge
Well I can see where how you got your sense of humor. So what exactly did you do for Rogers? Installs?

No, I worked at a Rogers Video/Cable Centre. I spent a lot of my time at the little desk in the back of the store - you could always tell the cable customers from the video customers because they'd storm through the front doors and stop for a second, scanning the area...and once they saw me, they'd march towards me like they were holding a bayonet instead of a cable bill.

Those were frightening times.

The_FOO

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +61/-3
  • irc.hyperion.org:6667 #hn
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hyperion.org
Cable DS Hell
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 05:29:37 PM »

I love my Eastlink Cable connection. :-)

#9 isn't too shabby.

disclaimer: I worked for them as a sysadmin in 98/99.
http://www.errorfm.com/efm.pls
More FOOlish than you'll ever be.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
Cable DS Hell
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 05:59:28 PM »

I have speakeasy symmetric 768 DSL.  No problems.  Unfortunately we now have to pay for it though.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
Cable DS Hell
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 06:06:59 PM »

Quote from: pbsaurus
I have speakeasy symmetric 768 DSL.  No problems.  Unfortunately we now have to pay for it though.

A guy I work with has speakeasy. He swears they're the greatest out there. I'm using DSL Extreme right now 1500\384 and I'm happy with it.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Anonymous

Cable DS Hell
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 06:12:45 PM »

Quote from: xolik
lol @ "waist your time"  :P

lol! That is funny!