The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 10:16:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129621
  • Total Topics: 7185
  • Online Today: 154
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The search for your soul mate  (Read 30712 times)

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
Re: The search for your soul mate
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2006, 06:17:14 PM »

"Hey baybeh; Y don't you be my X tomorow morning?"

/lame

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2006, 06:19:29 PM »

"Hey baybeh; Y don't you be my X tomorow morning?"

/lame

I suppose I could get away with that one....maybe. Kinda.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

12AX7

« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2006, 12:12:07 AM »

Sounds like a country song. :/

12AX7

« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2006, 12:19:35 AM »

"Baybeh Y doncha be mah X in tha mornin'
When I wake up, I dont wanna hear you snorin'
 BBBBAybeh Y doncha be mah X in the dawn
 BBBut fer rat now baybeh... let's git it own!

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2006, 12:21:56 PM »

The most fascinating studies are the ones where monozygotic twins are raised apart.  There is definitely a genetic component but also an environmental component.  As for soulmate, to me it's still hogwash.  If I had not ever met my wife, I'm sure I would have paired up with someone else and there is a high probability that we would have had a wonderful relationship too.  As a person I continually change.  My cognitions change.  My attitudes change.  Even my values change.  I have this idea of a continuous self.  But is my self from 1987 the same as my self from 2006? If I had not met Sandy in the former year but the latter year.  Would we still be compatible?  Hard to say, because we're both different people in 2006 than we were in 1987, and a good deal of those changes can be attributed to our relationship together.  In order to do a good study, I'd need to have had myself cloned several million times at conception and the same would need to have been done for Sandy.  Then in controlled environments we could have paired up clones at various points and evaluate the results.  But with all studies there will be caveats, presuppositions, and just plain noise in the data.

Anyanka_was_framed

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +148/-4
  • Your logic does not resemble our earth logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2006, 04:03:50 PM »

I know this post is a couple days over a month old, but I have something interesting worth posting...well, I think it's interesting, haha.

The most fascinating studies are the ones where monozygotic twins are raised apart.  There is definitely a genetic component but also an environmental component.  As for soulmate, to me it's still hogwash.  If I had not ever met my wife, I'm sure I would have paired up with someone else and there is a high probability that we would have had a wonderful relationship too.  As a person I continually change.  My cognitions change.  My attitudes change.  Even my values change.  I have this idea of a continuous self.  But is my self from 1987 the same as my self from 2006? If I had not met Sandy in the former year but the latter year.  Would we still be compatible?  Hard to say, because we're both different people in 2006 than we were in 1987, and a good deal of those changes can be attributed to our relationship together.  In order to do a good study, I'd need to have had myself cloned several million times at conception and the same would need to have been done for Sandy.  Then in controlled environments we could have paired up clones at various points and evaluate the results.  But with all studies there will be caveats, presuppositions, and just plain noise in the data.

THANK YOU.  I was reading through these, waiting for someone to bring up twins studies!  Great for assessing general behavior as well as various medical conditions and psychological disorders, twin studies are excellent evidence for diathesis-stress and nature + nurture arguments.  Nature PLUS nurture.  As far as I know (and from within the psychological community) scientists have pretty much accepted this idea.  Granted, there are acceptions to this, but it's helpful when considering topics such as this.

How about something else.

Recent studies on voles sparked human research that claims we release a chemical in the brain called Oxytocin during intimate bonding experiences.  It's that gushy, warm, lovey feeling you feel when connected to someone.  This is not limited to sex (where much more oxytocin is released in females than in males) but in other instances like breastfeeding a baby.  This illicits positive emotions that are then attributed to the person(s) involved and the situation...

So there's a dry, scientific view of love.  Kinda dismisses the romantic notion of soulmates.  Sorry.  Not that I don't believe, but I think that sometimes, a great match is a great match and there's more than one out there.  If "the one" is in our area it's probably more likely that we rarely leave our area and thus mere exposure can give that person a more positive attribution overall.  Combine that with hormones and mutual interests (looks help) and there you have it.

Mal: "Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. Whaddya suppose that makes us?"
Zoe: "Big damn heroes, sir."

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2006, 04:27:47 PM »

I think my oxytocin gland is broken.

But anyway, that was insightful. +1 for doing your homework.
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

Anyanka_was_framed

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +148/-4
  • Your logic does not resemble our earth logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2006, 02:20:26 AM »

I think my oxytocin gland is broken.

But anyway, that was insightful. +1 for doing your homework.

Thanks! :-)  You know what though, if you're not actually kidding on some level, you may have a chemical imbalance...of oxytocin, of course.  Or of the receptors that um, receive it. 

Mal: "Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. Whaddya suppose that makes us?"
Zoe: "Big damn heroes, sir."

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2006, 08:44:53 PM »

I consulted my pineal gland and can confirm that much of this is indeed true.
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]