The Geek Forum

• May 17, 2024, 01:13:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
  • Total Members: 4962
  • Latest: hvWeils
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129633
  • Total Topics: 7189
  • Online Today: 14
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Stupid Sexy Flanders Thread  (Read 5659 times)

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
The Stupid Sexy Flanders Thread
« on: July 16, 2005, 07:45:05 PM »

So, I just finished the new book.  WOW!  Great book.  And, without giving anything away, the last hundred pages or so are just devastating.  Anybody else reading it?
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 09:28:25 PM »

Yep, I went to sleep so I stopped at page 217, but I'll be reading for the next couple of hours.

Snape is an a**hole...but I still like him in the movies.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 02:53:06 AM »

Hermoine d....oh, wait. That doesn't work here.

No, I haven't read the book, but I've already had it spoiled to me thanks to THE INTERNET.  :x  I still intend to read the book though.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 05:50:50 AM »

I didn't line up well before midnight in my town, I can tell you that much! But I'm not about to dismiss the book as another pointless waste of my time. I've read all of them up until this point, but haven't bothered to buy this one yet. Maybe I'll get around to it someday.

Maybe not.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 09:50:05 AM »

A rule for this thread:

Put spoilers in size=1 text, so the people who don't want to know before they've read it,or haven't finished, can remain blissfully unaware.

I'm a little over halfway done, and I have yet to figure out who the Half-Blood Prince is.

I already read the last two pages. I'm not anticipating the final few chapters.  :cry:

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 11:47:26 AM »

I can take a guess as to who is the prince...

Thomas Marvolo Riddle

I'm about 75% of the way done, and they haven't 'revealed' who the prince is yet, oh well.

I think I could be deemed a Stupid Sexy Flanders Geek, using our definition of geek.

Edit: I'd just like to say that I haven't reached where they reveal the prince yet, but this is my rational for why I think (look at the size 1 post) is the prince.

It was 50 years ago (Yep, Tom is that old)
Tom was a Half-Blood (Half-Blood part)
Tom was the heir of Lord Slytherin (Prince part)
Tom was a VERY good student at everything, with flying colors, therefore he was very good at Potions
He has an attitude (Stick a bezoar down their throats...)
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 12:52:01 PM »

Hey, CM, Rowling already said he's not the prince.

Once you read further, you'll be screaming.

I started swearing when Snape came up and performed Avada Kevadra. I didn't start crying until the next chapter. My boyfriend kept muttering, "It's just a book." Jerk.

I'm now trying to figure out the identity of R.A.B. This'll be pivotal to what happens in the final book.

Now I need to call my mom and tell her to READ the last few chapters, as opposed to listening to them via her audio book. I can just see something shocking narrated, and her getting into a car accident.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 02:23:52 PM »

Wow.... and now I find irony in Alan Rickman being cast...

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 02:25:51 PM »

I just finished the book...wow....just wow.

I didn't cry, but there is more than a few tears in my eyes....I don't care if I'm being a baby at the moment...

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 02:26:38 PM »

Told ya the last part was devastating.  I don't know about you guys, but I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried.  Now we have to wait another two years to find out how it all will end. GRRRR!!!  :x

EDIT: I posted this before I read the little tiny text.  Obviously you guys cried too.  I have to go back and re-read it.  This book was just amazing.  Also, the more I think about it, the more I think that "it" had to happen this way to set up the final book.  After all, it's not Dumbledore vs. Voldemort, it's Harry vs. Voldemort.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 02:29:18 PM »

I read a crap load of fan fiction, it passes the time nicely.

Tip:  If the site has a filter, select > 5000 words. Most of the crap stories fall short of that mark.

Also, if the first chapter is only 1 or 2 pages, it may be a sign that the story sucks.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 03:13:06 PM »

My theory:

Remember in OOTP when harry tried to use one of the forbbiden curses on Beatrix, only to be told basically 'it doesn't work unless you REALLY mean it?' Well, what's from stopping Avada from working the same way? There's probably a lot of heat on Snape right now and in order for him to get Voldemort to truly trust him, what would be the best way? Why take out Voldy's biggest threat of course! So Snape, the double agent, gets with Dumbledore and he stages the whole thing. Fake Avada, fake death, witnesses, the whole lot. Voldy can't tell if Snape is fibbing to him, because Snape is an expert in whaterverhthehellit'scalled that protects your mind from being probed. The effect is two-fold. It gets Snape in on Voldy's good side to he can do more work for the Order, and it makes Harry realize that he can't count on Dumbledore to always be there to clean up the mess anymore. Dumbledore will come back Gandalf style in the next book.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 04:26:47 PM »

Quote from: xolik
My theory:

Remember in OOTP when harry tried to use one of the forbbiden curses on Beatrix, only to be told basically 'it doesn't work unless you REALLY mean it?' Well, what's from stopping Avada from working the same way? There's probably a lot of heat on Snape right now and in order for him to get Voldemort to truly trust him, what would be the best way? Why take out Voldy's biggest threat of course! So Snape, the double agent, gets with Dumbledore and he stages the whole thing. Fake Avada, fake death, witnesses, the whole lot. Voldy can't tell if Snape is fibbing to him, because Snape is an expert in whaterverhthehellit'scalled that protects your mind from being probed. The effect is two-fold. It gets Snape in on Voldy's good side to he can do more work for the Order, and it makes Harry realize that he can't count on Dumbledore to always be there to clean up the mess anymore. Dumbledore will come back Gandalf style in the next book.

As I read more of the "ending," I started thinking that this was a setup. No wonder I was swearing and crying at the same time. This thing about Snape having a violent reaction to being called a coward, though...intriguing.

Snape is an expert in Occlumency, but Voldy is an expert Legilliwhatever. There'd be a power struggle there. Occlumency and Avada Kevadra aside...I really hate Snape all of a sudden.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 04:27:42 AM »

I thought this was a setup from the start, but I mean set up by Dumbledore. Xol is probably right, he is gonna come back Gandalf style or appear in a mirror or something, but as we all know 'Death is but the next great adventure.'

squeezed

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 10:34:05 PM »

Hey,

Being a newbie, I think I'm allowed this question....

I've never read a SINGLE Stupid Sexy Flanders book because I didn't think it'd be for me. However, I watched "Prisoner Of Azkaban" last week and loved it.

Question: Where should I start?

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 10:45:04 PM »

Quote from: squeezed

The beggining is usually a good place, though sometimes I like to go to the end to change things up a bit.

Happyslave

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2005, 05:35:36 AM »

Nah, HP shows alot of similarities with Star Wars, which makes for a good predicition of the storyline in HP7.

Dumbledore is really dead. Just like Obi-Wan, he sacrificed himself for Harry (Luke). He will remain dead, but might very well appear in the next book, though not in a physical form.
Now; the final struggle. Harry will, obivously, kill Voldemort, but probably become more dark than good for him and, eventually, die. Maybe he'll come in a fit of murderous rage, kill Ron and Hermione, and later kill himself. Maybe he dies by killing himself and Voldemort at the same time. Bottomline is: he'll die. That's the only way for JKR to make sure her HP legacy can't be befouled by later, more crappy, authors. Like Hergé did with Tintin. And in any case, it'd be a fenomenal, sad, and heroic ending. Something she can work out very well, lot of potential. I make a bet on Harry's death.
Hmmm, Harry's more like Darth Vader then, than like Luke.

Btw, any one else thinks Ginny's a slut?
And doesn't it strike you, that Voldemort comes back every time, by accident?, in june. Why not januari? Why June? Everybody should be thinking of holiday, not of destroying the wizarding world.
violence is the highest authority

Quatra

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2005, 04:54:42 AM »

I don't know about the whole dumbledore being alive bit. I have to say though, I was more saddened by Harry leaving Ginny because, after his last convesation, his thought of "one last happy day with Ron and Hermoine", I was convinced that he would die in the next book, if not all of them. Hopefully though, I can't stand reading fan fiction. Poor Ginny.

Right now the only thing keeping me from going into a fit of saddness is reading the series over before classes start and I can take my mind off of it. This means I'll have to read the fith and sixth book again knowing what will happen in the end... crap.

Quatra

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2005, 05:23:40 AM »

You have to start from the beggining. There'll always be time to read it again so if you think your missing something just start the entire series over again. This only applies to those who love reading as much as I do. Seriousley, I'm reading the entire series over again just to get over me reading the ending to the latest book. Don't know the ending before you read it or you lose most of the experience.

moAk

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2005, 08:27:46 PM »

I just finished and do not understand how snape turns out to be the price... its like whoa snape is the prince, after 500 pages, okay so now what...  

sociald1077

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +129/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2005, 08:43:27 PM »

am i the only one that hasnt read any Stupid Sexy Flanders book or seen any of the movies? are they really thall that and a bag of peanuts?
"Guns don't kill people! PHYSICS kill people!" - Dick Soloman

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 09:53:48 AM »

Quote from: catwritr
I'm now trying to figure out the identity of R.A.B. This'll be pivotal to what happens in the final book.

Sorry to raise an old thread, but I finally got around to reading the HP books and I believe I have a few things to contribute, including the answer to your query catwritr.

Regulus Black - Sirius' brother - Who is presumed dead, but there is actually no evidence that he is as his body was never found.

As for the Xolik theory, which I also considered as I was reading the particular shocking passages, is plausible. In the end, I think it has to be rejected it because of a few facts. However, I will propose a different but similar theory:
First off, the unbreakable vows that Snape took early on in the book meant that if Draco couldn't pull off the murder of Albus, then Snape was going to do it. Had he faked the death curse, he would have broken his vow meaning that he would have died. Obviously he didn't so I think it's same to say that Albus is indeed dead.

Also, there's the fact that a Dumbledore picture is now present in the headmaster's office. All the pictures there are the ones of previous headmasters who are dead.

Albus had always said that there are worst things then death. I don't know if he was referring to the bodiless form that Tom Riddle had to take until he found his body again, or if he meant something else. He also said, as Harry repeated in the end of the book, that has long as people remained loyal to him at Hogwarts, there would be hope. Strangely enough, regardless of evidence of the contrary, I still think Snapes is actually good. Albus always said, throughout all the books, that he trusted Snapes without actually revealing why. Obviously, there was a reason which we may discover in the final book. I think what really happened was that Snape was cornered into taking the unbreakable vow, or saw that it would come soon. He just had no choice. I think that he and Dumbledore had an agreement between them that if it came to that, Snapes was to kill him. I think he trusted Snapes so much that he was willing to gave his life in order to strengthen Snapes position amongst the death eaters. I also think that Snapes revealed to Harry that he was in fact the Half-Blood prince for a reason. He didn't have too. It served no apparent purpose. I mean, it's the name of the 6th HP book! I has to be important!

I think that Harry may find something in that half-prince book later on that will help him fight the Dark Lord. Obviously, the book had more to it than potion related stuff. Perhaps it will provide Harry with skills in Occlumency.

If you remember in the end, Harry was trying to cast a bunch of spells at Snapes and others and all Snapes did was to block them. He prevents Harry from completing the incantations. In doing so, he showed him how powerless Harry would be if he had to face the Dark Lord once more. He told Harry that he should have paid more attention during his Occlumency lessons. Sure, it came out as a taunt, but was it really?

If it was that easy for Snapes to block Harry's spells, then why didn't he go further and cast offensive spells? When a death eater tried to attack Harry, Snape stopped him. He said that Harry was reserved for the dark lord and urged everyone to leave. But I wonder why Snape didn't bother to simply stun or paralyze Harry and bring him along to the Dark Lord. It would have been easy! But he didn't.

For those reasons, I think Snape is actually still on their side, altough no one in the order knows it or would believe it. I think that in the end, Snape will be the one who will save Harry and tip the scale. He will betray the Dark Lord and save Harry just when all hope of survival is gone. Just like Star Wars!

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006, 12:59:02 PM »

Quote from: TheJudge
Quote from: catwritr

Sorry to raise an old thread, but I finally got around to reading the HP books and I believe I have a few things to contribute, including the answer to your query catwritr.

Regulus Black - Sirius' brother - Who is presumed dead, but there is actually no evidence that he is as his body was never found.

As for the Xolik theory, which I also considered as I was reading the particular shocking passages, is plausible. In the end, I think it has to be rejected it because of a few facts. However, I will propose a different but similar theory:
First off, the unbreakable vows that Snape took early on in the book meant that if Draco couldn't pull off the murder of Albus, then Snape was going to do it. Had he faked the death curse, he would have broken his vow meaning that he would have died. Obviously he didn't so I think it's same to say that Albus is indeed dead.

Also, there's the fact that a Dumbledore picture is now present in the headmaster's office. All the pictures there are the ones of previous headmasters who are dead.

Albus had always said that there are worst things then death. I don't know if he was referring to the bodiless form that Tom Riddle had to take until he found his body again, or if he meant something else. He also said, as Harry repeated in the end of the book, that has long as people remained loyal to him at Hogwarts, there would be hope. Strangely enough, regardless of evidence of the contrary, I still think Snapes is actually good. Albus always said, throughout all the books, that he trusted Snapes without actually revealing why. Obviously, there was a reason which we may discover in the final book. I think what really happened was that Snape was cornered into taking the unbreakable vow, or saw that it would come soon. He just had no choice. I think that he and Dumbledore had an agreement between them that if it came to that, Snapes was to kill him. I think he trusted Snapes so much that he was willing to gave his life in order to strengthen Snapes position amongst the death eaters. I also think that Snapes revealed to Harry that he was in fact the Half-Blood prince for a reason. He didn't have too. It served no apparent purpose. I mean, it's the name of the 6th HP book! I has to be important!

I think that Harry may find something in that half-prince book later on that will help him fight the Dark Lord. Obviously, the book had more to it than potion related stuff. Perhaps it will provide Harry with skills in Occlumency.

If you remember in the end, Harry was trying to cast a bunch of spells at Snapes and others and all Snapes did was to block them. He prevents Harry from completing the incantations. In doing so, he showed him how powerless Harry would be if he had to face the Dark Lord once more. He told Harry that he should have paid more attention during his Occlumency lessons. Sure, it came out as a taunt, but was it really?

If it was that easy for Snapes to block Harry's spells, then why didn't he go further and cast offensive spells? When a death eater tried to attack Harry, Snape stopped him. He said that Harry was reserved for the dark lord and urged everyone to leave. But I wonder why Snape didn't bother to simply stun or paralyze Harry and bring him along to the Dark Lord. It would have been easy! But he didn't.

For those reasons, I think Snape is actually still on their side, altough no one in the order knows it or would believe it. I think that in the end, Snape will be the one who will save Harry and tip the scale. He will betray the Dark Lord and save Harry just when all hope of survival is gone. Just like Star Wars!

I hadn't thought about that person being R.A.B.  I'm actually re-reading the Order of the Phoenix right now.  I just passed the part where they're talking about the family tree, and I think I remember them saying that he was dead.  Regardless, I'm waiting very impatiently for the final book.  If it's somehow a disappointing ending, I swear I'll send Rowling smelly socks in the mail.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006, 01:59:48 PM »

My mom and I came to the conclusion that Harry is the final Horcrux, meaning he has to die to destroy Voldemort. We think the reason Voldy wasn't able to kill Harry as a baby was because the Avada Kevadra curse somehow carried part of Voldy's soul and it's why Harry's marked with the scar.

Of course, this makes me want to stab Rowling.

R.A.B. - Yeah, I figured that part out when I read the book the first time.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2006, 02:08:50 AM »

Yeah first thought was that guy as R.A.B...

It will be interesting to see if JK changes it around.

Pages: [1] 2