The Geek Forum

• May 10, 2024, 08:16:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129623
  • Total Topics: 7186
  • Online Today: 152
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cloning  (Read 8114 times)

TeraHammer

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +49/-3
    • View Profile
Cloning
« on: March 10, 2006, 07:58:55 PM »

Cloning is very usefull. Nutricious and cheap food can be created and healthy organs for easy transplantations. But how far should we go? For scientific purposes, should we clone human embryos? If not, why then is it ok to clone animals? Should, in more general, any artificial gene manipulation be allowed, like preventing your child to have a certain diseace?

A lot of questions, coming down to one thing: How far should we manipulate natural process of Life?

Obviously, I think human exctinction should be prevented. If a heavy natural disaster or disease strikes Earth and cloning people is the only option to continue, then this is the way to go.
It is clear that knowledge is needed for this. So scientific investigation is absolutely necessary.
I have no problems in cloning plants or animals for better nutrition, nor organ growing. That being said, it would be hypocritical to be against embry cloning. The society isnt ready for this (and may never be). However, at sake of knowlegde, I think the effects of cloning on human beings should be studied.
Fanatics are the first to betray their beliefs in order to defend it.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
Cloning
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 08:04:21 PM »

I don't have any problem with cloning for reproductive purposes.  As long as sexual reproduction still carries on.  Genetic diversity is a good thing.

Alli-oop

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +2/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.weirdears.com
Cloning
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 11:41:50 PM »

so far the animals that have been cloned, haven't they died early or had some sort of disease, as a result or not, i dunno.
we aren't animals obviously so we dont know if the same would happen to humans.  but would it be ethical though to try it even? "it might turn out norrmal or it might have a serious malformation or disease", what then, kill it?
for that reason i dont think human embyos should be cloned.  i think it's unethical to even try.

food on the other hand im ok with.
If words were wisdom, I'd be a mute.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
Cloning
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 11:51:19 PM »

It's people!!!!  Soylent Green is people!!!!

[/moses]
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

TeraHammer

• Troll
    • View Profile
Cloning
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 06:25:40 AM »

Quote from: Alli-oop
we aren't animals obviously so we dont know if the same would happen to humans.  but would it be ethical though to try it even? "it might turn out norrmal or it might have a serious malformation or disease", what then, kill it?

Why is animal cloning ok, but human cloning not? We origin from animals. We are merely an higher species, but if you have the ethics to clone an animal, what makes a human being different?

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
Cloning
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 07:59:52 AM »

Quote from: TeraHammer

Why is animal cloning ok, but human cloning not? We origin from animals. We are merely an higher species, but if you have the ethics to clone an animal, what makes a human being different?

Because you wouldn't want to have two of me posting in here.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
Cloning
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 09:49:18 AM »

Quote from: TheJudge

Because we wouldn't want 2X the "n00bz0rP0st3rs" asking questions, actually.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

Alli-oop

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +2/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.weirdears.com
Cloning
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 02:02:42 PM »

I never said animal cloning was ok. I was responding to the question of humans.
Animals though...that's a big blank full of hypocricy for me. Guess it boils down to where you stand on animal rights and equality. I don't think there's any point in tryin to clone animals really, especially if cloning them is preparing scientists for a further unethical practice.
If words were wisdom, I'd be a mute.

jeee

• Dork
  • Coolio Points: +189/-4
    • View Profile
Cloning
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 06:36:11 PM »

That's the best arguement !

GenStyx

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Cloning
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 02:49:53 AM »

I just cloned a plant in my *cough* err garden the other day. No big deal.
Death is just another path, one that we all must take.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like they're women, man!

LuciferSam

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +122/-122
  • ástellaþ: ("hálette eormengrund!")
    • View Profile
    • ZomboCom
Cloning
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 06:57:08 PM »

But how far should we go? For scientific purposes, should we clone human embryos?

You answered your own question! See:
Nutricious and cheap food can be created.

• Q: What is green and homeomorphic to the open unit interval? A: The real lime!

GenStyx

• Computer Whore
    • View Profile
Cloning
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 11:56:38 AM »

Are humans nutricious though?

Soylently speaking, I think they are not.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
Cloning
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 01:11:46 PM »

Now you guys are catching on to my Soylent Green comment...took ya long enough!
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
Cloning
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 01:47:47 PM »

Quote from: GenStyx
Are humans nutricious though?

Soylently speaking, I think they are not.

Baby tastes just like veal.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

GenStyx

• Computer Whore
    • View Profile
Cloning
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 04:06:05 PM »

Quote from: Vespertine
Now you guys are catching on to my Soylent Green comment...took ya long enough!

I caught on right away. I just haven't been around much.
Well, I've been around, just mentally occupied.

Edit: Xol: I love veal! But I think I may never eat it again, because apparently it is "wrong." Sometimes I just want to say, if eating baby milkfed cows that are grown in a cage is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
Cloning
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 04:29:35 PM »

I had a Jordanian lamb shank yesterday for lunch.  It was fabulous.  I forget the name of the dish but it was the restaurant's specialty.

12AX7

Cloning
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 09:58:51 AM »

Quote from: Alli-oop
"it might turn out norrmal or it might have a serious malformation or disease", what then, kill it?

Yep. Same with crack babies, or babies whose mommas drink and smoke during pregnancy, or HIV+ babies... and if the infant has a defect that  is genetic and hereditary, we should eliminate the parents and siblings as well.

Kryzec

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +8/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Cloning
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 11:10:45 AM »

Obviously, I think human exctinction should be prevented. If a heavy natural disaster or disease strikes Earth and cloning people is the only option to continue, then this is the way to go.

If we actually suffer from such a catastrophy, is there a point in continuing? With such a disaster I'm sure more than just the humans suffer. What the hell are we supposed to do if there is no other life on this planet than us? Clone ourselves for a million years until new plants have developed being able to live in the habitat? Just asking...

Edit: My spelling sucks, which is slightly ironic since I just came home from a english exam...
[Coming later]

TeraHammer

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 03:09:50 PM »

Quote from: Kryzec

If we actually suffer from such a catastrophy, is there a point in continuing? With such a disaster I'm sure more than just the humans suffer. What the hell are we supposed to do if there is no other life on this planet than us? Clone ourselves for a million years until new plants have developed being able to live in the habitat? Just asking...

Yeah, and develop or use technology to go to a new world perhaps... To let humanity die out because of cloning morals is like refusing to drive a car with someone very ill to the hospital because it misses the right blink light.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 04:07:55 PM »

Yeah, and develop or use technology to go to a new world perhaps... To let humanity die out because of cloning morals is like refusing to drive a car with someone very ill to the hospital because it misses the right blink light.

what
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Scuzzy

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Cloning
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 04:50:22 PM »

but but THINK OF THE JESUS!...no? Bible?...that doesn't work to convince you otherwise either?  :wink:

Hey, whatever keeps people alive and the human race strong, thats my opinion on cloning at least...

ivan

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 04:55:03 PM »

I don't understand why, with your overall dim view of your fellow man, you would want humanity to survive. Do you think that future generations will be somehow better than the banal and prurient masses getting on your nerves today?

Also, I would argue that ensuring mankind's survival at the expense of his moral integrity is not worth the effort. In any case, we fought and won that war back in the 1940s.

TerrorDronze

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +22/-10
  • I'm not narcissistic, I'm just awesome.
    • View Profile
Cloning
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2006, 02:45:31 AM »

My personal view on the cloning of human embryos is really quite simple... it's fine.  We've been doing biological research for years that has brought a lot of good for the masses at the cost of the lives of a few.  Harvesting human embryos for stem cell research, as well as making progress in the test-tube growth of human body tissue is fine.  think about this, if you were a burn victim, with between 35% and 80% of your body covered in 3rd degree burns, would you rather undergo surgeries that restructured and prevented any further permanant damage, while living with debilitating and rather unsightly scar tissue, as well as severe nerve damage, or have some of your DNA sampled and kept on file so they could grow you more of your own skin?  Cloning has it's medical uses, and would generate far less waste than traditional medicine at this point, due to the fact that you could generate things like blood, skin, and other tissues and organs as needed, as opposed to needing a donor, where there's still a chance for your body to completely reject the organ, leaving it as a waste of time, energy, and valuable, as well as somewhat limited, operating room time and space.
Wait, so the might-be-a-bot isn't dead?!

TeraHammer

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2006, 01:42:26 AM »

Quote from: ivan

I don't understand why, with your overall dim view of your fellow man, you would want humanity to survive. Do you think that future generations will be somehow better than the banal and prurient masses getting on your nerves today?

Also, I would argue that ensuring mankind's survival at the expense of his moral integrity is not worth the effort. In any case, we fought and won that war back in the 1940s.

Am I such a doom thinker? No way! I strongly believe absolute science can overcome our problems in the future. But not that we should blindly trust science, but do the things we can to help the world advance for the good. I´m a perfectionist which is why I often have critism about things.
And you may remember I appreciate the principles of communism?
So, no you are absolutely wrong to say I have a dim view of humanity.

hacker

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2006, 06:31:14 PM »

I found it very interesting that you mentioned cloning organs and food, when I thought of cloning those never crossed my mind but if we were able to clone such items would it not be such an achievement to clone and reproduce items like oil?
Pages: [1] 2