The Geek Forum

• May 10, 2024, 04:35:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129623
  • Total Topics: 7186
  • Online Today: 152
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: CoD2 Map Building  (Read 2267 times)

TeraHammer

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +49/-3
    • View Profile
CoD2 Map Building
« on: May 04, 2006, 09:59:02 AM »

Yesterday I picked up Call of Duty 2 (the game I often play with friends) map making, which proved to be extremely addicting. I'm a total newbie at mapping, but with some tutorials I managed to create a garage with balcony (hurray).
Now I'm doing some more serious mapping, trying to create a multiplayer team deathmatch map with two buildings facing eachtother in between wilderness.

I was wondering, do some of you lot have map building experience?
Fanatics are the first to betray their beliefs in order to defend it.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
CoD2 Map Building
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 10:27:07 AM »

Not with Call of Duty, sorry. However, I did make a ton of custom maps for the original Doom.  :lol:
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ivan

CoD2 Map Building
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 10:59:59 AM »

Hey, me too, Xol!  :D

My best work was an exact reproduction of the floorplan of my then-workplace. "The Boss" took on new meaning.

I got a LOT of frustrations out with that one.

That was in '93 or '94. None of my jobs since then have had so much down time. Too busy to play now.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
CoD2 Map Building
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 11:44:07 AM »

One of these days, I'm gong to dust off my old .WAD files and give them a whirl.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
CoD2 Map Building
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 12:35:47 PM »

I did a bunch of maps for counterstrike and for day of defeat (prior to Half Life source). I am not familiar with the DOD2 mapping engine, but I did learn some valuable lessons the hard way...

When building player vs player maps, wheter it's capture the flag or deathmatch, the key to success is chokepoints. A choke point is an area of the map where confrontations usually take place, and it is of course intended that way. One thing you don't want to do is have a wide open space and allow players to go where ever they feel like. While it sounds like a fun thing for players, what usually happens in these maps is excessive camping (and spawn camping which really sucks), and since anyone can go anywhere, there's no real strategy or team play involved. Also, wide open spaces = lag. Well, I guess that depends on the engine, but that's generally true.

So what strategically placed chokepoints do is force a confrontation in order for the game to progress. You want multiple choke points and alternate routes, to give players certain options and allow for strategy and teamwork to come into play, but you don't want to give too much flexibility either. Maps generally consist of one main route (sometimes two) with sub routes that branch off and reconnect at different points to the main one. (Or to the second main route if you had two).

To avoid spawn camping, protect the spawn areas. Design the map so it enables players to leave the spawn area, but not return to it. Typical ways of doing this include a steep hill or path do you can fall from or jump off, but can't climb back.

Be creative! And get a test group going before releasing any maps. Be ready for critisism. And consider all suggestions. Map making can be a pain in the arse if you want to get it just right, but well worth the effort! Once you master layout, then you can focus on actual building and compiling techniques to optimise the map and reduce lag, and to create effects (fire, water, smoke, rain, etc). Then, for the final touch, you may want to start creating your own textures.

I built a counterstrike map once, (rescue hostages scenario) and I based it on the Matrix. To create the effect of entering the Matrix, the spawn points where setup inside a very tall tower. The inside of the tower walls were filled with green Matrix symbols and digits, (custom textures) and when you appeared in the map, inside the tower, you would fall for 5 seconds. It created the effect of the Green text moving all around you when it was in fact stationary. You ended up falling into a pool or very deep fountain in some cases (as to not cause damage from the fall). Then, you'd swim up to the edge and be ready to rescue hostages! Once you found hostages, you would need to bring them to a telephone booth, which was the rescue point. It was pretty neat.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
CoD2 Map Building
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 12:39:14 PM »

Quote from: xolik
One of these days, I'm gong to dust off my old .WAD files and give them a whirl.

HA HA!!!  You said--

Oh never mind.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

TeraHammer

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +49/-3
    • View Profile
CoD2 Map Building
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 11:18:57 AM »

Thanks for the tips, Judge!
Fanatics are the first to betray their beliefs in order to defend it.

Bethany

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +1/-0
    • View Profile
CoD2 Map Building
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 03:10:31 PM »

Oh geeze, that reminds me so much of the old team fortress 1 maps, I can't even remember the name of one of the first maps released.... two fortresses, blue and red, with a moat in the middle.
Back in the day... now I am getting all sentimental for quake.
-Democracy: founded on the principal that any thousand people are automatically smarter than any one person. Excuse me?
-Dictatorship: founded on the principal that any one person is automatically smarter than any thousand people. Come again?