The Geek Forum

• May 12, 2024, 07:16:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Bad Teachers  (Read 4914 times)

PyroFX

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
Bad Teachers
« on: January 17, 2007, 04:32:55 PM »

I have (almost) finished my second day of classes of my second semester and so far, I generally like my teachers/teaching assistants/professors, but there is one that I feel may turn out to be a very... unfavorite professor. He has a lot of bad reviews from other students and I've sit in one of his lectures, but I guess there's always a chance that he won't be that bad.

The point of the matter, though, is that I'm willing to bet there has to be somebody that is worse and,t herefore, I have to ask: does anybody have a  story about a horrible teacher/teaching assistant/professor?

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Teachers
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 04:47:07 PM »

In the 4.5 years that I spent attaining my undergraduate degree, I only had 2 professors that actually challenged me to think.  For the most part, they all sucked.  Within the first 2 classes I could determine if
  • I would have to attend class and not buy the book because the prof teaches from experience and the book was chosen because the author was his college room mate
  • I could skip class and buy the book because the professor teaches directly from the book and she's not hawtt
  • or, the rare prof that actually used both life experience and the book to teach the class.
I haven't started my JD degree yet (hopefully in the fall,) but I suspect that there will be lots of teaching from experience in the classroom and lots of text-book reading at home.

In any case, I only had one prof in college that I would say was horrible.  I made sure he knew I thought he deserved a cock punch.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 04:50:54 PM »

I have (almost) finished my second day of classes of my second semester and so far, I generally like my teachers/teaching assistants/professors, but there is one that I feel may turn out to be a very... unfavorite professor. He has a lot of bad reviews from other students and I've sit in one of his lectures, but I guess there's always a chance that he won't be that bad.

The point of the matter, though, is that I'm willing to bet there has to be somebody that is worse and,t herefore, I have to ask: does anybody have a  story about a horrible teacher/teaching assistant/professor?

Oh boy, do I. A year ago I had a teacher for Calculus III who was right off the boat from South Korea. The guys English was horrible. He couldn't teach, all he did was read out of the book. His handwriting was illegible. He was incapable of answering most questions. He didn't conduct any sort of reviews. This class was miserable to go to, so much so that I stopped going. The guy wasn't even nice to top it off. He was the biggest jerk if you ever tried to suggest anything or even ask a simple question.

The TA wasn't much better. He was a nice guy, but he just wasn't too bright, and would belabor simple concepts to death so that he didn't have to actually do the complex stuff. That and he would skip most of the steps in a problem, so it made it nearly impossible to follow his work.

Overall Calc III was a bad experience for me, I got an A, but I spent many long hours with my text book.
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 06:09:05 PM »

Tom Natsoulas, Psych 135--Psychology of Consciousness.  The entire class material was a reader with his publications.  He'd test on the footnotes just to be a dick.  Loved to hear himself talk.  After that class I paid money for the professor review thingy so I could see the ratings (yep this was before the internet).  Then there was the second year grad student who taught the Rhetoric 1 (public Speaking) section.  Small minded fundie christian prick who if you didn't agree with his narrow life view, would do poorly in the class even though your peers rated your speeches highly and you aced the midterm and final.  I don't even remember his name because he is so not worth the effort to even do that.  I take solace in knowing that he probably went to some third world country to convert the heathens and died of a prolonged parasitic illness.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 06:43:10 PM »

In the 4.5 years that I spent attaining my undergraduate degree, I only had 2 professors that actually challenged me to think.  For the most part, they all sucked.  Within the first 2 classes I could determine if
  • I would have to attend class and not buy the book because the prof teaches from experience and the book was chosen because the author was his college room mate
  • I could skip class and buy the book because the professor teaches directly from the book and she's not hawtt
  • or, the rare prof that actually used both life experience and the book to teach the class.
I haven't started my JD degree yet (hopefully in the fall,) but I suspect that there will be lots of teaching from experience in the classroom and lots of text-book reading at home.

In any case, I only had one prof in college that I would say was horrible.  I made sure he knew I thought he deserved a cock punch.

+1 cock punch

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 08:17:38 PM »

I had this teacher who was short and talked with a NY accent.  She was HILARIOUS!!!!!!

She also won the fantasy football stupor bole.  Man, she was so awesome.
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 08:20:09 PM »

Oh noes, one of Detta's students hacked her account!

Mikekillerus

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +9/-34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 09:12:11 PM »

So mines not a professor, but a teacher i had in 6th grade. The stupid bitch was teaching her second year and the year before she taught a kindergarten class. Needless to say i barely learned anything. Well one day we're doing an experiment and ours turns out a different way then the rest of the class. I know for a fact we did it right, but she yells at my group saying, and i quote "Well, your experiment is wrong" i wanted to smack that bitch so hard... half the time in class since she always wore a skirt she'd sit with her legs seperated facing the guys, which is pretty sick even though she was only 23.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 09:13:13 PM »

Nice!

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 09:59:33 PM »

half the time in class since she always wore a skirt she'd sit with her legs seperated facing the guys, which is pretty sick even though she was only 23.

Pix please. k, thx.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 10:49:33 PM »

half the time in class since she always wore a skirt she'd sit with her legs seperated facing the guys, which is pretty sick even though she was only 23.

You seem to have confused this with the 'Enviable position that I wish I'd realized the awesomeness of at the time' thread.

I had a science teacher who didn't believe that matter could be converted into energy...everybody else in the room realized he was full of shit when I continuously corrected all his horrible mistakes and eventually I essentially taught the whole semester.

He utterly failed to explain things in the proper detail, so to pass the time (after he took away all my laser pointers...he must have a box full somewhere) I took to asking him detailed questions that he of course couldn't answer.

Eventually I pulled out some mouldy old Creationist arguments that he of course wasn't familiar with and as a result half the class to this day probably believes Darwin is as big a sham as the teacher was. Hell, HE probably doubts it now.

Nothing says 'qualified' like a science teacher who has a flawed understanding of the theory of Evolution AND denounces E=MC^2...
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 08:59:51 AM »

I was always the guy who could ask a single question that would sent the teacher off on some tangent about which he could talk for hours.  It's a gift.  I gave it to all the students who relied on the teacher to read the book to them rather than actually studying.

For the record: Teaching is not (just) reading aloud.  And PowerPoint presentations are not "Read along" presentations.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 01:35:03 PM »

Last semester of undergrad, and I was already so jaded about both of my majors. Feminist Economics, WS 300-something. This professor was the paradigm of "angry feminist." If you tried to provide an counterpoint or argued that her divorce was irrelevent to the topic of women working in Nike factories in Southeast Asia for 8 cents an hour, expect trouble. It was the only class to which I brought alcoholic coffee.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 04:16:01 PM »

Eventually I pulled out some mouldy old Creationist arguments that he of course wasn't familiar with and as a result half the class to this day probably believes Darwin is as big a sham as the teacher was. Hell, HE probably doubts it now.

Derail: What were they?

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 04:18:12 PM »

I remember the one about eyeballs being hard to evolve and also the one about how worker ants could evolve if they lacked reproductive ability...there were probably a few others. They're all easy to explain if you're prepared, which of course this tard wasn't.
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 04:20:10 PM »

Damn, that's sad. Them shits are hella old.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 03:50:07 PM »

I don't have a specific instructor in mind, however I do wish that the few professors I've had at community college would at least try to hid the fact that they just don't give two shits if we actually learn anything. My PolySci professor would give us the test questions and answers a few days before the actual exam. He did this because this was his last semester he planned on teaching and 'we're not going to use this stuff in the real world anyways' so we might as well all get an A for the course.

We're not going to use political science in the real world? Yeah, fuck knowing about how the government is supposed to operate and our nation's political history! Learning is for suckers!  8-)

My current Geography professor has stated many times that her class average is 71% and if it ever falls below this, she'll just add whatever amount of points it takes to bring it back up to 71%. Reach for those stars! I'm convinced that the reason why Amercians are failing so terribly when it comes to public education is that there is zero challenge to actually learn anything. Let's just bump everybody's grade up and pass them then give ourselves a huge-cicle jerk over how great test scores suddenly are, then demand the state pour more money into our coffers. Oh, and we need a pay raise since we're obviously making our kids so much smarter, according to the most recent test scores. (Oh, shit, is that a 51? Here, let me just close those loops for you. There, now it's an 81!)

Sorry for the kinda derail there, it's just something that frustrates the hell out of me.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 03:53:57 PM by xolik »
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 04:36:59 PM »

Do not get me started.  Not all teachers are overpaid.  The great majority DO deserve a pay hike.
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 04:54:48 PM »

Do not get me started.  Not all teachers are overpaid.  The great majority DO deserve a pay hike.

Now now, I never said they were overpaid.  :-D I know darn well that I'm not going to be seeing any million dollar cars in the faculty parking lot. Good teachers do deserve to get paid a good amount of money. Especially considering all the shit they need to put up with.

Teachers that don't give a damn however....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 06:56:25 PM by xolik »
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 07:11:01 PM »

I'm curious about something Detta.  I've heard quite a bit about the battle over "pay for performance" for teachers.  If I remember correctly, the NEA is against it.  Do you think teachers should get merit-based raises (as most of the rest of the working world does)?  What do you think of the NEA's union mentality?
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Anyanka_was_framed

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +148/-4
  • Your logic does not resemble our earth logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 11:04:23 PM »

2 college profs, 1 high school teacher. 

4 or 5 days before the first day of school in my junior year of high school my chem teacher was hired.  They were desperate.  This "woman" (we weren't sure at first) was once supposedly a biochemist and yet could not do simple addition, nor could she spell the words "carbon" or "stapler" or "scotch tape".  She was awful...she made things up and talked so funny that we could not understand her, and even though some of us did take her aside after class to let her know what was going on nothing changed.  If we couldn't understand whatever she said the first time around she'd get upset and start yelling incoherently.  As far as I know she wasn't  an alcoholic nor did she have any diagnosable retardation.  Just weird. And kind of potato-shaped.  With no neck.  And a square head with these evil-looking teeth...

One college prof (neuropsych) was from China and had lived in the US for 30 years but spoke in the worst broken English I've ever heard.  He thought it would be awesome to write the same way.  For the record, "membraned" is not a word.  And I don't really care to write in "perfect inglish" if your english blows so badly.  Also, he'd go on about how to make hallucinagenic drugs from grass and tree leaves and where to pick up local hookers (or rather, freshman girls/sorostitutes walking around looking for a kegger on the weekend), then give us these ridiculously hard tests that contained tougher material than that of the book or the "class" notes.

The other prof (physics) informed me that since my contact lens #s were below -5 (-7.5 and -8.5) that meant I was legally blind.  He even put that on a test, "At what point is a person legally blind."  No question marks.  ?????????????????????????????????

Mal: "Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. Whaddya suppose that makes us?"
Zoe: "Big damn heroes, sir."

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 10:04:37 AM »

For the record, "membraned" is not a word.

The rest of the above sounds pretty unfortunate, but membraned is in fact a word. It's an adjective, and about the only way that you can describe something that has more than one membrane, as in "double membraned."

Anyanka_was_framed

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +148/-4
  • Your logic does not resemble our earth logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 10:50:25 PM »

Sorry, I meant membraned in place of membrane.  He used to add "ed" and "t" sounds to the end of everything, but couldn't manage to get my name right with its having a t in the middle.  Also, he informed my friend that he looked like Jesus right before asking every male in the class if they would have sex with the girl sitting in front of me if she offered it.

Mal: "Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. Whaddya suppose that makes us?"
Zoe: "Big damn heroes, sir."

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2007, 03:18:42 AM »

Sorry, I meant membraned in place of membrane.  He used to add "ed" and "t" sounds to the end of everything, but couldn't manage to get my name right with its having a t in the middle.  Also, he informed my friend that he looked like Jesus right before asking every male in the class if they would have sex with the girl sitting in front of me if she offered it.

I must get this teacher.
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

12AX7

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2007, 07:10:15 AM »

I must get this girl sitting in front of Anyanka.