The Geek Forum

• May 13, 2024, 12:38:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 131
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I've got a computer addiction  (Read 7527 times)

TeraHammer

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +49/-3
    • View Profile
I've got a computer addiction
« on: June 24, 2007, 07:45:04 AM »

I've allways had the feeling I spent too much time behind the screen, and since I read up on computer addiction I really think I have it. I've been playing games like civilization 4 too long on-line, missing college the following day. I lie to my friends and family about how much time I spend on the computer.
In general, it interferes with my life, badly, not taking responsibilities, the computer is a hiding place for me when i feel bad or sad and that is not right. I

Any help/tips you can give me? Own experience perhaps?
Most obvious is to create a tight schedule of when I can go on the pc and when not, but I'm not sure if I can.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 11:41:12 AM by TeraHammer »
Fanatics are the first to betray their beliefs in order to defend it.

Paladin

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +16/-2
    • View Profile
Re: I've got a computer addiction
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 08:00:05 AM »

Get a job as a sysadmin. You'll either  1) start to hate the computers, so you can go back to the marketing/whatever career, or
2) you'll get good at it and start to make good money for it.
If you prefer #1 solution, i suggest a helpdesk job.

What are you studying?

Edited: I just realised that it's sunday afternoon on a beautifull day and since i woke up i stood in front of my computer, i even ate here. So maybe i'm not the best person to give advice in this matter. I'll try to go for a beer in the park, you could try it too.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 08:16:31 AM by Paladin »
"...And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth."

Eric Idle

TeraHammer

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 08:25:32 AM »

Haha, that could work lol. But I won't like a job I'd hate :P

I'm studying applied physics.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 10:14:57 AM »

Set aside one day a week (or more if you're feeling brave) devoted fully to not sitting in front of a screen, period. No TV, no computer, no nothing. Take a drive, grab a walk, putter around the house, whatever.

I made that pledge to myself awhile back and it's certainly helped me. I find myself spending less and less time sitting in front of a box, and managed to finish projects and tasks that I had previously put off until doomsday. A two-fer!

Hope this helps you!

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 08:00:42 PM »

You say 'computer addicition' like it's a bad thing.

I kid, I kid. I felt exactly as you described when I started making up excuses to dodge class to kill internet dragons. Everyday, I wasted hours playing WoW, eating crap food, not getting enough sleep and gaining all kinds of bad weight. What did it for me was taking a good objective look at 'what exactly am I gaining by doing this?' and not liking the answer.

What helped a lot was getting a non-computer related hobby. I quit WoW about a month ago and now spend that time working around the house, going to the gym and visting friends I hadn't seen in years. The first week was hell, but as the time went by, you'll start to wonder why you spent so much time on the computer in the first place.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 11:22:20 PM »

When I was younger I used to spend a lot of time in front of the computer screen.

What really helped to cut my computer time back was the fact that I got a job, and started college several years after entering the work force. Though, right now, I kind of wish I had more time to sit in front of the computer screen like I used to. I miss those days.

d_money

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +11/-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 12:19:03 AM »

Get a girlfriend! Or a bf if thats your thing. I used to spend about 4-7 hours a day on the computer, pretty much all my spare time. What helped me was partying. I don't think its a good solution, but if you party more, you'll computer less.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 03:06:47 AM »

Plenty of different ideas Tera, maybe you'll be able to figure out something that'll work for you! Good luck!

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 07:16:34 AM »

I've allways had the feeling I spent too much time behind the screen, and since I read up on computer addiction I really think I have it. I've been playing games like civilization 4 too long on-line, missing college the following day. I lie to my friends and family about how much time I spend on the computer.
In general, it interferes with my life, badly, not taking responsibilities, the computer is a hiding place for me when i feel bad or sad and that is not right. I'm thinking of getting proffesional help for it, I'm not sure if I can help it myself.

Any help/tips you can give me? Own experience perhaps?
Most obvious is to create a tight schedule of when I can go on the pc and when not, but I'm not sure if I can.

It's only an addiction if you feel guilt after experiencing PC pleasure!

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 08:54:28 AM »

Get a girlfriend! Or a bf if thats your thing.

Does not help. Especially if he\she is addicted as well, which explains why you met each other in an IRC channel.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 10:13:06 AM »

Does not help. Especially if he\she is addicted as well, which explains why you met each other in an IRC channel.

Plus, if they are not addicted, then you may have to choose between them and the computer. Things get nasty when the computer wins.

TeraHammer

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 10:28:05 AM »

Thanks for the replies, people.
A new hobby to replace the evenings sounds good, and going out more too. I actually have a gf and luckily I don't even think of computers when she is around, so it isnt that bad yet :). We've been together now for 1,5 years and is a real asset to me. Probably should phone her more often. The thing is, we only meet in the weekends, because we both study in another city (1 hour travel though) which is quite sucky.

And thanks for the tip Dark Shade of putting 1 day blank. Though I'm not sure if I got the discipline to do that... Actually I don't think I can do that yet, it would just make me feel more guilty when turning the computer on.

Helpfull story, xolix. I have been starting to question your question to myself too now.
Its typical what I did these weekend though, I left my laptop at my student room instead instead of bringing it to my parent's house (I allways visit in weekends) just to not get to into temptation. I've played some Fifa World Championship 1998 on my old pc, but I don't feel bad about that. I've studied much better without the laptop.

Civilization 4 is my main addiction. Perhaps I should quit that, but I could starting playing another game pretty easily I fear.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 11:11:30 AM »

TeraHammer, you have always struck me as a strong-willed and clear-minded individual. Don't let the recent breathless media-fueled moronity affect your judgement. In general, let's strive for proper application of the term "addiction", in these forums at least. Compulsive behaviour is not addiction.

I think you play games because you like to. I think you play games to the detriment of other activities because you would rather play games. I think you lie about how much you play because you know that people would think ill of you.

You will eventually become bored with gaming and go on to some other compulsion, like inceasantly posting on obscure internet forums, fast women or train-spotting.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 11:56:29 AM »

I have a computer addiction as well. It interferes with my life; trashes my grades, lowers my already nonexistant level of work ethic, etc. The only thing it hasn't destroyed is my relationship and that's because I can talk to my boyfriend on AIM.

He might be addicted to.

I guess it's nice that you want help. But I don't have much to say in the way of advice.

d_money

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +11/-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 12:25:31 PM »

fast women

I think this is one of the easiest ways to redirect your addiction. But definately not one of the safest.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 12:30:25 PM »

TeraHammer, you have always struck me as a strong-willed and clear-minded individual. Don't let the recent breathless media-fueled moronity affect your judgement. In general, let's strive for proper application of the term "addiction", in these forums at least. Compulsive behaviour is not addiction.

I think you play games because you like to. I think you play games to the detriment of other activities because you would rather play games. I think you lie about how much you play because you know that people would think ill of you.

You will eventually become bored with gaming and go on to some other compulsion, like inceasantly posting on obscure internet forums, fast women or train-spotting.

It would be nice to have another user at this one forum....

RelandR

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +91/-4
  • This portion of the page intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 12:37:56 PM »

Train spotting, hmmmm, 'Putting spots onto trains' ... now there is a hobby that'll cure you from compulsive computing,

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 01:16:32 PM »

Do what you like best.
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

12AX7

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 04:16:46 PM »

Addiction is a personality disorder. It has really nothing to do with what you supply the addiction with; ie., computer, beer, drugs, sex, work, food, etc. If you really feel there is an addiction, my advice would be to talk to someone professionally involved in managing this behavior. Changing 'objects' (comp, beer, food, etc) doesn't work; and only confuses the issue.
 On the other hand, my guess is you just really like being on the computer; and there's no real "addiction". If such is the case, just enjoy yourself. When you'd rather do something else, you probably will. People disappear from the internet alla time.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2007, 04:40:36 PM »

People do.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2007, 04:57:13 PM »

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

geekfitters

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +3/-13
    • View Profile
    • Geekfitters
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »

Civ 4 is an incredibly addictive game.  I actually know someone who bought a playstation to ween themselves off of Civ 4.
Chris the Geek, Owner of Geekfitters

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 12:53:31 AM »

Too much gaming can actually kill. True story.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 01:53:04 AM »

Civ 4 is an incredibly addictive game.

Truth, y0. The boyfiend and I both caught that particular bug.

nitehawk522

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-2
    • View Profile
    • MYSPACE
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2007, 02:15:10 AM »

Im also a computer/gaming addict, but i dont really mind ALL that much. I really enjoy it and im not hurting anybody, and there are worst things i could be doing, like drugs, fighting, shooting homies in there cribs, and many more bad habits...like spoting trains... If you really do think that you want help to stop becoming a computer addict though i have one sure fire solution to see if you would accually be happy without computers. For one week put your computer away, just take it out of sight, like a closet or somthing, and don't get it out no matter what. It will be hard for awhile, but try calling friends, and going to parties or other things that people without computers do. You will most likely see that you can have just as much if not more fun without your computer then you can plug it back in and only use it when you dont have other plans. But you may find out that you hate the outside world and will become even more attached to the heaven that is your computer, so be careful.
Me-If you love games so much why dont you marry them?
My friend- Accually i did, meet ms. Pacman Smith.
-Ms Pacman- wakka wakka wakka
Pages: [1] 2