The Geek Forum

• March 28, 2024, 03:26:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129470
  • Total Topics: 7101
  • Online Today: 54
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Common Misconceptions about College  (Read 7322 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
Common Misconceptions about College
« on: April 07, 2007, 08:16:25 PM »

This is what your typical college female looks like (With clothes on)
I suspect that many of you reading this are currently enrolled in college, or are perhaps ready to take the plunge into college from high school. I also know there are some of you, however, are currently attending elementary school, or are just plain retarded. I know this to be fact because of the emails that I get that read "u suck lol", and the comments that are posted in the forums that exist for the sole purpose of pissing other members off. Sadly, you too will some day make it to the ranks of being a college student because they pretty much take anyone with two legs and a wallet these days. I guess they also admit amputees with wallets, too.

High school guidance counselors make it seem as though if you don't hurry up and apply to as many colleges as you can by your first week of junior year in high school, you won't get accepted into any colleges. In fact, you might as well go home, write a nice long emo blog entry about how the world doesn't understand your complex views on abortion and the existence of God, and then proceed to kill yourself because you missed your one and only chance at success. Don't get me wrong, I know there is some truth in what they say. The more "prestigious" (I use that term loosely because with enough money, even a goat can be enrolled into a university like Penn State) universities will obviously be very hard to get in to, and universities in heavily populated areas with large student populations will also be hard to get in.

When the acceptance letters roll on in, many people already have misconceptions about what college should and should not be, and what professors are and are not supposed to do for you and the other students. These misconceptions are most likely instilled in most people's minds thanks in parts to the media and their uncanny ability in scaring the public into thinking cows are taking of the world.

Some of these misconceptions might include the following. Though, they are also not limited to the following. I'm not exactly sure what some people expect when they get into college, to be honest. Maybe the expect it to be a rave with bubbles.

If for some reason you look like this, you then have a valid reason to miss class.
"College is great. I can show up to class whenever I want to, and I can leave class whenever I want to!
This is 100% true. If you want to fail your class(es), this is a great way in doing so. Unless you have a legitimate reason as to why you're missing class, or why you're leaving early, it's best not to miss it. "Why?" you ask. Because generally speaking one class in college is roughly the equivalent to one week in high school. Unless you plan on reading all that material in your text book and somehow figure out what the correct key points are from the material you just read, it's not going to work out. Believe me, you're only fooling yourself by thinking that you'll catch up by reading the text book on your own time. And if you're like any other college student, you have lots of parties to go to! Besides, who actually still reads these days?

"I don't need to study for this exam. I have so much stuff to do today. The professor will probably grade on a curve anyway because everyone else will do poorly, too!"
This might be true; some professors may grade on a curve from time to time, but don't count on it all the time. There are some colleges that require professors to grade on a curve - which is total bullshit if you ask me. This way if you go to a really dumb college, you're half-assed 85 average turns into an instant A because the majority was below you. The bottom line is, unless your professor tells you that the exam you'll be taking is graded on a curve before hand; don't count on it being done.

"I didn't do so well the last two exams. But that's ok, I'll just ask the professor if I can do some extra credit to bring my grade up!"
Yes, it would be nice if the remainder of our lives could be lived as though we were still in high school, but we're not. When you screw up at work, don't expect there to be "extra credit" to make up for it, or if you run a red light and mow some poor innocent kid down with your car., don't expect there to be extra credit there either. I don't think extra credit is going to bring that poor kid back to life. The same holds true (At least it should) when you screw up in college-level courses; don't expect the professor to hand out extra credit assignments to help boost your grade. I doubt the professor wants to take more time to grade extra assignments because you screwed up. Some professors will do this because they are naive, but if you have a professor that knows what he or she is doing, don't count on there being this magical thing you once knew as extra credit to bring your grade up from the 13th level of hell.

This is what your typical college party looks like (With clothes on, of course)
"College is all about partying! It's the best time of your life I heard. I better live it up!"
College and parties are two eternal truths. They go together hand in hand. Every movie that you have ever seen about college has probably almost always had a party in it. This depiction is true for the most part - most major universities have numerous parties going on within the campus every night. Your first intuition as a freshman may be to go to as many of these parties as you possibly can in order to make friends and to try and fit in as a true college student. You'll quickly learn that those who are out partying on a regular basis are the ones who have GPA levels hovering around the 1.7 to 2.0 mark. These are the kids who go through one semester in their big 4-year college partying and living it up thinking they have it made, go through the next semester on academic probation, realize that actually doing the required work is hard, and then spend the remainder in some community college where they get their associates degree in pottery, or some other nominal field.

College is great! I'm doing so well, I can't wait to graduate and finally get my dream job that I've always wanted!
Good to hear you're doing well. Good job. However, don't get your hopes up on finding a good job as soon as you make your way out of college. In fact, don't be surprised if it takes you several years before you can even get into the industry that you want to get in. Keep in mind that when you graduate, you're graduating along with another million or so students in the United States alone, and out of those million, chances are many of them have the same educational background as you. Complete with the same degree, possibly the same work-related experience, and some might even have the same name as you! So my word of advice: Keep looking when you get out of college and don't give up. Also remember to take a number when you graduate this way when your number is called, you can go up and get in.

Sure, I know some of you reading this probably objected to almost everything I wrote above. If so, Chances are you're not in touch with reality. If this is the case, I suggest you re-evaluate what you're doing in college. You're probably better off dropping out of college and becoming a professional blogger, or a singer. Or Both.

If you agreed with almost everything I wrote, then congratulations! You realize that attending college is not a joke, and to get anywhere in life, it's going to take real dedication and not just making it look like you're doing hard work like you did in high school.

Please use this form to send me any complaints. I am sure there will be some.

BlackWidow

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +29/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Common Misconceptions about College
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 10:49:40 PM »

You nailed it Chris.  When I went to university when I was 18 (it was in ancient times when Ontario High Schools went to grade 13) I made it to about 1/3 of my classes and struggled to finish.  I managed to make it thru by taking summer school courses at night while I worked during the day.

When I went back to do a post grad college certificate when I was in my early 30's it was a whole different story.  I missed one class because of an event at my daughter's school.  All my marks were A's except for on B+.

I know at 18 I was too immature to handle the responsibility of university ... to truly understand its value and make the right choices while I was there (my degree is in Economics for pitie's sake).  On the other hand, it does let you delay the responsibilities of life for a while and possibly get out from under parents' wings.  No clue what the right answer is but just know what I experienced.  When it comes time for my kids to go I'm going to want them to leave home ... to have a chance to be independent but I hope I'll have done my job well enough to help them be mature enough to handle it.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 11:39:13 PM »

College looks lame and expensive.
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 06:16:08 PM »

I (obviously) agree with what you said, BW. I think in today's day and age there are many kids who go on to college not knowing what to fully expect out of the whole experience. Either it's because their parents sheltered them so much throughout their years of schooling, or the schools themselves did not do a good enough job preparing them for what to expect once they hit the big leagues.

I'm in college myself, at the moment. One thing is for sure, some kids are coming to a gun fight with a knife, and the expect to win.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 06:52:27 PM »

You can win, it's just the odds are stacked against you. It's also a lot easier to make the wrong move.

In regards to going to class, I both agree and disagree with you. In some of my classes, I would be a fool to miss out, especially because they are discussion based and to miss them would mean I miss the discussion and can't participate.

On the other hand, I have a couple of teachers that read solely from the book, sort of.

One teacher is very good at what he does, and so I don't need to read the book by going. He also adds a lot of his own comments and corrections.Therefore, I should go.

The other teacher just assumes you read the book, and his "explanations" often result in more confusion. Sure, I could go just to ask him questions, but usually the questions don't help and might even leave me worse off. Besides, I could go to the free tutoring the school provides, or I could just speak with him outside of class. In this case, should I still go and waste my time?
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »

The catch in my college is that most professors are so full of themselves that they require that you show up to each and every class in order to get an A in the class. For instance, I have one class where if you miss three classes, your grade automatically drops one full letter grade - even if you can acheive an A.

To me, this is their way of trying to make the students feel as though they NEED the professors in order to learn and educate themselves. Personally, I think that if you're able to read through the text book and understand the concepts presented within the text book, and are able to pass all of the tests with flying colors, you've got what it takes to be at college. Not only do you demonstrate the ability to schedule time for yourself to sit down and read the book, but you also have the ability to pull what is important out of the readings.

It's too bad college professors don't see it like that. Most automatically assume that if you miss class more than three times, and still wind up having a passing grade you must be cheating. They want to do everything in their power to bring you down.

Socrates

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +123/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 07:07:00 AM »

I work at an University so I'm getting a kick out of these replies...

anyway

I had an accounting professor who on the first day showed everyone the calculations for how much you were paying to be for his class, then broke it down by class hour.  After showing that we were all paying XX per hour he said something along the lines of "I get paid if you show up or not.  You're paying XX if you show up or not.  You might as well show up."  He was one of the better teachers.
--this space intentionally left blank--

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 05:17:57 PM »

I work at an University so I'm getting a kick out of these replies...

anyway

I had an accounting professor who on the first day showed everyone the calculations for how much you were paying to be for his class, then broke it down by class hour.  After showing that we were all paying XX per hour he said something along the lines of "I get paid if you show up or not.  You're paying XX if you show up or not.  You might as well show up."  He was one of the better teachers.

Although I didn't have a teacher go that far, I've had one or so do that. They were pretty good.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 09:30:18 PM »

u suck lol
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Banshee

• Geek
  • Coolio Points: +106/-3
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 10:28:31 PM »

"Dear pete, lol. U r dum." - Bobert

Zephyr

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 04:32:52 PM »

I wonder if this would be considered resurrecting of the thread is already at the top of the page.

Whether or not you can skip class and still succeed depends more on your major.  I'm an English major.  Everything I do is reading, literary analysis papers, creative writing, and then in class discussion.  I can pretty much go whenever I want and still get a B or better.  I do go to all my classes though because hey, I'm paying for them.  But when I was working on my Associates and had to take math and science courses, I'd pretty much screw myself if I didn't go.

As far as being totally unprepared, yes I agree.  Most kids (I'm included in this age gap) are playing with student loan money which, for now, is just free money to squander.  You can do what you want because you're an "adult."  Most of my peers from high school can be seen on Facebook in various photo albums of them being drunk and stupid.  I'm pretty sure I'd be in their shoes if I didn't opt to stay in my home city and go the cheaper route which is 2 years of community college, then two years at the satellite campus, and working my tail off at crap jobs.

But a tangent on the party note - I wonder if the phrase "Work hard, play harder" really applies.  You spend all this time in class, studying out of class, and oftentimes working a 20-30 hour a week job.  There's no balance, so it's pretty easy to give into partying when it seems like it's the only relief you can have from the perpetual stress load. 

I think the biggest despair I have is a) What the hell am I going to do after school? and b) The injustice felt of investing all of this time and money into an education that probably won't pay very well.  I realize my degree is a crapshoot since it's a liberal arts degree, but there are a lot of business majors, economics majors, and whatever other stereotypically practical majors that are struggling to find jobs.  I don't know if this is because of the increasing gap between upper class and lower class leaving fewer middle class jobs that a Bachelor degree would ordinarily guarantee you or the fact that pretty much any idiot can get through a university with a Bachelor's degree. And THAT fact, that any idiot can get a Bachelor's degree, drives me bananas.  I currently work as a tutor in our university writing center and I see kids in an upper division courses with papers that a fifth grader could write.  Who let them get that far?   This is supposed to be higher education.

In any case, I'm in my senior year in this program, and I'm too burnt out to even think about graduate school.  Apologies for the long rant, this one sort of gets me going.