The Geek Forum

• May 04, 2024, 07:00:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129608
  • Total Topics: 7178
  • Online Today: 158
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Are You A Single Guy?  (Read 5113 times)

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
Are You A Single Guy?
« on: July 01, 2008, 09:01:39 AM »

Or an Album guy?  Or gal. 

I'm an album guy, which is why I can't find a media player that doesn't piss me off.  They all group everything by tag, which totally screws my compilations.

Viva Amarok!
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

12AX7

Re: Are You A Single Guy?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 09:34:35 AM »

You tried an old Winamp?  I use Winamp 8.2 , it doesn't group anything unless you sort it that way. I know it's ancient, but it plays music just fine.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 09:39:47 AM »

For simple music playing in Windows, I just use Media Player Classic.  Winamp does the same, but with either one there's no way to see what album I'm listening to.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

12AX7

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 09:44:25 AM »

And your whole point was that you're an album guy. Oh well. If I find anything, I'll let ya know.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 10:57:02 AM »

Mediamonkey or whatever is OK.

Actually the main point of this thread was that I was curious as to how you people listen to your tunes.  Do you queue up a bunch of the most popular or your most favourite songs by all different artists, or do you queue up an album (or many) and listen to them all the way through?

sociald1077

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +129/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 12:36:20 PM »

I take all 10000 odd mp3s I have, and hit "random" on winamp. If I find I'm not in the mood for a song, I skip to the next one.
"Guns don't kill people! PHYSICS kill people!" - Dick Soloman

pickled kitten

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +108/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 02:17:13 PM »

I take all 10000 odd mp3s I have, and hit "random" on winamp. If I find I'm not in the mood for a song, I skip to the next one.
pretty much this.

I have 27 gigs of music so I just leave my itunes set to random and turn off the repeat button.

/SARCASM <--- Fixed the problem ;)

12AX7

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 04:20:31 PM »

This.
 I have some playlists for Winamp that are only one artist, too; so if I'm in the mood for Norah Jones, I click the nojo playlist and its all just her stuff; but it's not in any album order.

12AX7

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 04:23:41 PM »

Also, if I wanna hear a certain sequence (some albums have songs that run together, etc) I just drag them to whatever order I want in the Winamp playlist and take off "random" so it plays straight through.

12AX7

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 04:25:03 PM »

Actually, now that I think about it, you could just manually create a playlist with the songs you want in album order; several albums, even, and save it that way.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 09:22:43 PM »

Well to steer clear of the media player discussion, I am an album guy and they are all perfectly sorted by album in my cd case.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 01:14:50 AM »

Or an Album guy?  Or gal. 

I'm an album guy, which is why I can't find a media player that doesn't piss me off.  They all group everything by tag, which totally screws my compilations.

Viva Amarok!

Windows Media Player and iTunes don't necessarily do that...they can if you want them to, I suppose. But mostly they're both grouped by artist, then by album.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 09:45:18 AM »

I don't use either of those for various bloated-piece-of-shit-related reasons.  With Amarok, I can browse by my folder structure, which is what I want, and then display and sort my playlist by whatever tagged attribute I choose, which is what I want.  Unfortunately it's not out for windows...yet.

I have been known to queue up multiple albums by a single artist, or a specific genre, and play them all the way through, in sequence, as the artist intended it to be heard.   This usually works for me because the type of music and artist I like tend to have albums that I enjoy overall.  Wednesday is Ween-day, by the way.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 11:55:16 AM »

I dig Amarok.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

sociald1077

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +129/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 02:20:56 PM »

I don't use either of those for various bloated-piece-of-shit-related reasons.  With Amarok, I can browse by my folder structure, which is what I want, and then display and sort my playlist by whatever tagged attribute I choose, which is what I want.  Unfortunately it's not out for windows...yet.

I have been known to queue up multiple albums by a single artist, or a specific genre, and play them all the way through, in sequence, as the artist intended it to be heard.   This usually works for me because the type of music and artist I like tend to have albums that I enjoy overall.  Wednesday is Ween-day, by the way.

Winamp does give similar functionality. You can browse your entire MP3 collection by artist, and within that have it sorted by album, track, year released and more. The search function is also very nice, it allows you to put in an artist name or album title and it will filter the library by that input, so you only see what you want.
"Guns don't kill people! PHYSICS kill people!" - Dick Soloman

livingeek

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +3/-4
    • View Profile
    • LivinGeek
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 11:37:05 PM »

Depends on my mood.  Sometimes I pick a few albums and shuffle them, other times it is a single band that gets shuffled.  Most of the time it is internet radio or using a program on my computer create play lists from a few songs. 

Pyrenus

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +30/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 11:24:34 AM »

When I do this I find myself skipping 9 out of 10 songs. 

Dark Lord Liznit

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +3/-1
  • The Force is strong with this one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 11:29:36 AM »

Actually, now that I think about it, you could just manually create a playlist with the songs you want in album order; several albums, even, and save it that way.
This is basically what I do.

______

ydnamtnediserp

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +119/-77
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 12:40:34 PM »

When I do this I find myself skipping 9 out of 10 songs. 

well, clearly you need better taste in music.

"If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: the only proof that he needed for the existence of God was music." -kurt vonnegut

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 06:09:03 PM »

Indeed.  When I put my 27K songs on shuffle, I rarely hit skip.  How can you beat William Shatner followed by Stravinsky followed by a bit from the Firesign Theater?