The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 04:02:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 153
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Hazing  (Read 2997 times)

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Hazing
« on: February 03, 2010, 12:04:32 PM »

There was a story in the news lately about a sorority at Rutgers University that ended in arrests as a result some rather painful (physically and otherwise) paddling over the course of about a week.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/01/rutgers_sorority_members_hazin.html

Have you ever been part of an unsanctioned hazing either as a hazer or a hazee?
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
Re: Hazing
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 02:21:34 PM »

Not to my knowledge.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 02:26:23 PM »

I'm in a fraternity at Wichita State and we definitely adhere to the no-hazing policy. It's actually one of the main reasons we stand out on campus. I can remember an incident with another fraternity where the members force-fed pizza to a "pledge". I was surprised they weren't kicked off campus.

One could make the argument, however, that we haze psychologically with nick-names and things of that nature. It has never really been a problem, though.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

12AX7

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 04:12:25 PM »

We blanket partied a shitbird in basic, but he was a total fuckup who got everybody else smoked because of his incompetence. And there was the slightly pudgy dude from Alaska who would not bathe. In June, July, August. At Ft. Jackson, SC. Its not that he wanted to wait and be alone; no, he just wouldnt bathe AT ALL. Not even a ho-bath. So we bathed him, scrubbing him head to foot with those green brillo pads. Took a layer or two of skin off him with the funk.
  I don't know if those qualify as "hazing"; but the techniques work amazingly.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 02:05:05 PM »

-blanket partied- -shitbird- -smoked- -ho-bath-
Terminolgy I miss hearing.
I tried to use the word shitbird once but no one knew what I was talking about. It goes down with fuckwit on the list of swear words I have to use in certain company in order to be effective.

It's a real shame too. I like shitbird and fuckwit.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

LuciferSam

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +122/-122
  • ástellaþ: ("hálette eormengrund!")
    • View Profile
    • ZomboCom
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 09:06:35 AM »

Fraternity, or any other form of collective, is not fun without hazing. Boys these days, no balls. Hazing is the non-Germanic mensur, when practiced correctly - a way to understand, categorize, or encourage the growth of an individuals character. Military as well, as 12 points out.

Some of my most treasured memories in life have involved hazing, whether it was in schools, Shriners, what have you. I should also point out that hazing is a big part of this forum and others that have proceeded it.

• Q: What is green and homeomorphic to the open unit interval? A: The real lime!

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 10:03:18 AM »

Hate fraternities.  Hate hazing.

When I was a sophomore in college, we went to a frat party because our usual party wasn't going on that day for some reason.  My friend and I were on the line for the bathroom, when the guy I liked (we eventually dated for a year and half), came up and said he had to go real bad and wanted to go in with us.  I hesitated and the (frat) guys in front of us said he could go in with them.

They went in and a few minutes later, the door came flying open and my guy came flying out all bloodied up.  My friend and I got thrown into the bathroom (I guess thankfully b/c the beating continued outside).  I looked around in horror as there wasn't a place in the small room that wasn't smeared with his blood.  The walls, the sink, toilet, mirror.  I looked straight up in an effort to escape it and wouldn't you know - blood was splattered on the ceiling as well.

He finally escaped and made his way back to the dorm.  I followed a trail of blood home in the snow.  For several years following that, the scene replayed in my head over and over.  Closing my eyes, did not help to escape, but only made the picture clearer.  Fucked me up for a long time.

Those are the kind of assholes who joined fraternities at my school.  They did similarly awful things to the people who tried to join, as you can imagine.  One can't talk about fraternities/hazing without bringing me back.

So no, I've never taken part in an asshole ritual like that.  I don't know how people would want to hurt other people for fun.  
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 10:05:58 AM by Detta »
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

12AX7

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 10:33:21 AM »

Hate fraternities.  Hate hazing.

When I was a sophomore in college, we went to a frat party because our usual party wasn't going on that day for some reason.  My friend and I were on the line for the bathroom, when the guy I liked (we eventually dated for a year and half), came up and said he had to go real bad and wanted to go in with us.  I hesitated and the (frat) guys in front of us said he could go in with them.

They went in and a few minutes later, the door came flying open and my guy came flying out all bloodied up.  My friend and I got thrown into the bathroom (I guess thankfully b/c the beating continued outside).  I looked around in horror as there wasn't a place in the small room that wasn't smeared with his blood.  The walls, the sink, toilet, mirror.  I looked straight up in an effort to escape it and wouldn't you know - blood was splattered on the ceiling as well.

He finally escaped and made his way back to the dorm.  I followed a trail of blood home in the snow.  For several years following that, the scene replayed in my head over and over.  Closing my eyes, did not help to escape, but only made the picture clearer.  Fucked me up for a long time.

Those are the kind of assholes who joined fraternities at my school.  They did similarly awful things to the people who tried to join, as you can imagine.  One can't talk about fraternities/hazing without bringing me back.

So no, I've never taken part in an asshole ritual like that.  I don't know how people would want to hurt other people for fun. 

:( man. I'm sorry to hear that. That sort of thing I can agree with you on.

LuciferSam

• View Profile
    • ZomboCom
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 10:41:03 AM »

It's a guy thing, toots.

• Q: What is green and homeomorphic to the open unit interval? A: The real lime!

12AX7

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 10:49:37 AM »

I like it when you call me toots.

LuciferSam

• View Profile
    • ZomboCom
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 10:55:14 AM »

You know you do.

Also, I didn't take the time to read Detta's whole post, and now that I have, I feel an ass. Snarky comment stands, but that was terrible, and not hazing so much as felonious behavior.

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 11:07:45 AM »

Thank you.  I was just coming in to rip you a new one.
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

LuciferSam

• View Profile
    • ZomboCom
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 11:12:58 AM »

You can rip me a new one any day, toots.

rogue_77

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15/-11
  • Realities a mere illusion, albeit a persistent one
    • View Profile
    • Mindblogling!
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 01:37:41 PM »

I should also point out that hazing is a big part of this forum and others that have proceeded it.

I would actually agree with that 100%.  I made this account like around 2006 and wanted to get into forums at the time to try to make some connections.

I've noticed that in my replies and just reading the threads people around here will eat you alive and can come across as being asses in the ways they respond.  I think most people here are sarcastic like myself but they do it in a way that your not sure its serious or sarcasm.

That and I've felt a couple times that I've felt stupid after leaving a topic or thread open, not because I was being stupid but they like to point out your flaws in your post and disassemble your logic or something.

The thing with this forum is I think there are only like 10-15? real active members that have been here awhile and I really do think its like being a stranger and coming into a families Thanksgiving day activities.

I've only come back because this was one of the few places I remembered I had an account.

I like this place but I don't know the people that well, I don't know how to gauge what they are saying and I can't get a real feel for most of them because most of the replies most give are sarcastic to others and usually less then a paragraph long.

Just my observations and opinion.

PREP THE BAN-HAMMER!

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »

The thing with this forum is I think there are only like 10-15? real active members that have been here awhile and I really do think its like being a stranger and coming into a families Thanksgiving day activities.

I have been in that situation. I mean, litterally a guest at some other family's Thanksgiving Day celebration. At first, I am polite and I listen a lot more than talk. I take pains to understand what people are saying, and am very careful about what I say so that I don't stick my foot in it. Then, towards evening, I start feeling comfortable and I let loose with some well-timed wisecracks, and by dessert I'm usually Grandma's best friend.

So yes. Exactly.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

rogue_77

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15/-11
  • Realities a mere illusion, albeit a persistent one
    • View Profile
    • Mindblogling!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 05:20:44 PM »

PS - what the hell are coolio points and how do they work?

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 05:23:46 PM »

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 06:26:48 PM »

I think most people here are sarcastic like myself but they do it in a way that your not sure its serious or sarcasm.
That's because I'm not being sarcastic. I really am a bitch.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

h4wt_b3t4

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +115/-17
  • Not an FBI agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 06:32:04 PM »

Clear_Runway: i'm not a fothermucker. i'm a buck futter.

ivan: No one really needs to beg to differ. Just go ahead and differ. In fact, I beg you to differ without begging.