The Geek Forum

• May 02, 2024, 12:29:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129583
  • Total Topics: 7172
  • Online Today: 67
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Question for you, Demo  (Read 1706 times)

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
Question for you, Demo
« on: September 15, 2010, 01:32:15 PM »

You spent time in the Navy.  I'm sitting here watching The Hunt for Red October.  I don't want a dissertation on whether or not it's accurate.  :P  What I want to know is, does the Navy administer psychological tests before they put a person on a sub?  I'm assuming they do...what kinds of tests?
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Re: Question for you, Demo
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 02:05:07 PM »

Not before putting a person on a sub.

And not directly.  There's a "default" psychological evaluation of anybody whose job requires them to have a security clearance, and being assigned to a submarine requires a security clearance.

And I don't know the specifics, or how, or when such evaluations are performed.  I was not aware of it when I got my first security clearance, but it's in my service medical record has having taken place while I was still in Nuclear Power School.

So it must be an observational thing.  I never sat down in front of a shrink and answered any questions or took any kind of written personality test or anything.  But there it is, in my service record.  So someone was paying attention. 

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 02:07:26 PM »

That said, it obviously can't be that great an evaluation.

I mean, I passed it, apparently...

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 02:12:17 PM »

Weird.  I would've thought that there would be a screening process.  I mean, it seems to me like the last place you want to have someone freaking the fuck out is in a metal container 20,000 leagues under the sea.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 02:14:25 PM »

Well, that's what I'm saying... there is a screening process.  It's just not a direct one.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 02:16:58 PM »

Well, yeah, I got that part.  What I meant was a specific screening process to check for things like claustrophobia, or paranoia or some such thing.  You know, to make sure that when the hatch closes I don't completely take leave of my senses.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 02:20:39 PM »

Believe me, nobody with claustrophobia would volunteer for submarine service. :)

12AX7

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 02:37:41 PM »

Don't ya love how freaking HUGE submarine interiors look in movies? Even when they do a scene trying to convey how cramped it is; it looks BIG compared to IRL.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »

But if someone does freak out and the sub is lost, it just means more federal dollars to the military industrial complex to replace it.  Plus the media will have something to talk about.  Looks like win-win from the powers that be perspective.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 02:54:10 PM »

I dunno.  As an overall, the screening process must work pretty well.  The US Navy has lost a grand total of two nuclear submarines in its history (this one and this one).

One was due to a design/engineering failure

One was almost certainly due to an exchange with a Soviet sub (which was also lost)

While the occasional nutjob can slip through the net, I'd say that's pretty rare.  I can't speak for everyone, but most of the sailors with whom I served -- both surface and subsurface -- who held security clearances were reliable, level-headed, stable individuals with personalities strong enough to handle life at sea under stressful and often hazardous circumstances.

While I was going through the Naval Nuclear Program, there was an extremely high attrition rate.  There were 45 of us in our initial Nuclear Field A-School class-up, and by the other end of the nuclear training pipeline, there were 5 of us originals left.

The majority of those lost were due to academics, but some were "psych outs" as well.  People who simply could not handle the pressure, or were otherwise disqualified for psychological reasons.  And yes, some of those individuals were dropped simply because they could not obtain a security clearance.

So to reiterate, I don't know the specifics they use to evaluate suitability when it comes to psychological profiles.  And it's not a direct Q&A examination.

But there IS and evaluation process, and I can tell you from at least my observations (and the Navy's track record) that it's pretty effective.

Disclaimer: this opinion applies only to the nuclear Navy.  Conventional Navy psychological evaluations are outside my experience.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 03:01:04 PM »

The Air Traffic Controller screen for the FAA worked similarly.  They washed out more than 70% of the people entering.

12AX7

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 03:08:43 PM »

When I was in I had a clearance ( Top Secret ), and only had a small, short interview in which they questioned me about Kathrin, who was still a German citizen and lived in Berlin at the time (1988). How the hell they knew about her I have no idea. But that wasn't all they knew. So yeh; Army 's screening for security clearance apparently works much the same way. Much background checking without your input and/or knowledge.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 03:11:32 PM by 12AX7 »