The Geek Forum

• March 18, 2024, 09:51:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129440
  • Total Topics: 7090
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36]

Author Topic: The 'Let's Bitch About Our Jobs' thread.  (Read 211589 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
Re: The 'Let's Bitch About Our Jobs' thread.
« Reply #875 on: November 17, 2016, 09:18:53 AM »

You came in two hours before your shift and you said you couldn't work because you had MRSA. We said, okay, where's the doctor's note so we know when you can come back to work. You said, you didn't have one. We said, go get one, we need to know when you can safely come back to work.

You then showed up for your shift after saying you had an open sore from MOTHERFUCKING MRSA. And you were shocked when we said, yeah no, where's the note that says you can work. BECAUSE YOU'VE GOT FUCKING MRSA. IN A RESTAURANT.

You said, don't have it, didn't have time. But it's okay you can work. We said, no you fucking can't. You have time now, you ain't working, go get one. You were actually surprised

You said you had motherfucking MRSA. This is a fucking restaurant. We serve people food here. They bring their vulnerable nubile offspring here. Elderly eat here. What the fuck is wrong with you?

Ahh, the good ol' restaurant industry! I miss some of the entertainment like this from my restaurant days. I will say, the thing I miss the most about restaurants is the fact that it's literally something new every. single. day.

I had one kid who abused cocaine and other drugs and somehow wound up with a staph infection and he too thought it was alright to work. Had to tell him to gtfo and don't come back until he had a doctor's note stating he was clear to work. Wasn't long after that I fired him for doing heroin in the restaurant on an overnight shift. Luckily for me, an overnight Walmart employee tipped me off saying that he could not even stand up to take her order when she came through at about 3pm.

Oh, and the employees I had sitting on the front counter after the doors were locked passing a bong back and forth right in front of a camera. Yea... they were fired, too.

I feel for you though. Endless BS every day.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: November 17, 2016, 10:48:29 PM »

I feel for you though. Endless BS every day.

I fucking love my job. I have tried office jobs. I have worked in other fields. I always circle back to restaurants and hotels. I absolutely love my job.

It's a living petri-dish of human nature that any writer would pay good money to observe. Except the petri-dish pays me.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #877 on: November 18, 2016, 08:41:30 AM »

I know what you mean. I was practically born and raised in the restaurant business and sometimes I feel like I'm going nuts working a desk job for almost three years now. It was a tough transition that's for sure.

The hours were what really got to me the most. It was next to impossible for me to take off for family gatherings on the weekend and having three nieces and nephews pushed me over the edge to switch gears.Still though... I miss those days.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #878 on: January 26, 2017, 02:15:11 PM »

Internal emails that require a response but never get answered and go ignored for prolonged periods of time.

I realize that things get hectic and there are bigger fish to fry but if someone from outside of your department emails you at least try to get back to them within a few business days.

This was a big problem at my previous employer because the workforce was so large and spread out across the country that you would from time to time email people whom you've never met or never will meet in your life. All the more reason for them to ignore your email and hide behind their computer screen like nothing ever happened. Even if you'd reply on top of the first email it would still go ignored.

</rant>

This one really, I mean REALLY, grinds my gears to no end.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #879 on: January 26, 2017, 07:48:14 PM »

Honestly, one of the things that has made me successful professionally?

Being responsive.

That's feedback I've gotten consistently, at multiple companies, from lots of people, and it made them advocates for me, which can really help in a lot of places.

It's not really that hard, and it can really make one stand out, especially in a big company that's spread out and has a lot of people not so good at it.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #880 on: January 27, 2017, 08:07:09 AM »

Exactly!

It's not that hard of a concept, really. Even if it's something that requires a lot of leg work and you can't answer it right away that day, a simple email back saying something like, "Hey, this will take me some time to pull the reports. Will get it back to you by end of day tomorrow." is totally understandable.

I got into the habit of attempt #3 to CC their manager on the email. Mind you this was usually like 7 business days after the first one. It was always amusing to see how upset they got. Seriously... what did you think was going to happen? LOL!

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 12, 2017, 10:13:27 AM »

Hey, it turns out that you can send back a plate every time you visit a restaurant and we won't kick you out. EVERY DAMN TIME. You have a problem with you food. But this time[/] you got verbally abusive with the staff and were loud and belligerent enough to make other customers complain about YOU. So, yeah, we fucking want you to leave now. Please fucking leave and never come back.

Take the trash out with you.

Thanks.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #882 on: May 19, 2017, 01:31:23 PM »

Hey, it turns out that you can send back a plate every time you visit a restaurant and we won't kick you out. EVERY DAMN TIME. You have a problem with you food. But this time[/] you got verbally abusive with the staff and were loud and belligerent enough to make other customers complain about YOU. So, yeah, we fucking want you to leave now. Please fucking leave and never come back.

Take the trash out with you.

Thanks.

This brings back TONS of memories from my food service days. When it's every damn time you go to the same restaurant chances are it's not the staff but YOU who are somehow causing the problem. I can see once or twice... but every. damn. time? No. Glad to hear you guys kicked one out.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36]